Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2011, 10:37 PM   #46

Re: 2009 Kawasaki KLX250SF

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamM
...Today, I called Zack at Woody's. My Neutech TUbliss system, the new TKC tires and Excel rims are there and waiting on the wheels...
Have you employed the TuBliss tire system before, Sam? I am considering the TuBliss system for my XR650L, but I hear some people have problems with the 120 psi, high-pressure, inner bladder. :?

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-02-2011, 06:42 AM   #47

No, I haven't. But I have heard a greater number of good reviews for the TUbliss compared to bad reviews. The smaller bike seemed to be the better test platform for it. I'll make my decision based on how well it does on the KLX. Woody did a set of 19/17" tubeless Excel wheels for my KLR a few years ago. I sold the 19" front wheel but I still have the 17" rear wheel. I'll be sending that wheel back to Woody to have it made into an 18" rear for the KLRE. We're going to try fitting a Heidenau K60 140/80-18 tire on the back with the TUbliss system. The frontend is off a 2008 KX450F and uses a KX non-speedo hub. He'll make a new 21" Superlaced wheel on that hub. If the TUbliss doesn't work with the bigger rear tire, we'll change up the sizes.

The KLRE650 is going to be a great bike. The parallel-twin with 65hp, EFI and a 6-speed will really change the KLR into an Adventure Tourer. My plan is to not be limited with this bike. I have spare wheels that will get Dunlop 606 tires for off-road use.

SamM
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E
1979 Yamaha XS650 Special II

Old 04-07-2011, 11:08 PM   #48

My parts have started to arrive and I'll be tearing into the bike tomorrow. In addition to the new black 21/18" Excel wheels I have ordered: an eBay
rear rack, FMF MegaBomb header, FMF Q4 muffler, Moose Racing 520FB chain, 14/42 sprockets, UNI airfilter, Dynojet jet kit, Moose Racing KX bend aluminum handlebars, aluminum throttle tube, ProGrip Superbike Gel grips (the only grips I use) and aluminum rear axle adjusters. The next additions are: a Happy-Trails skidplate, new footpegs, a small windscreen, TorqueMaster sparkplug, new rear taillight, 12 o'clock labs intregal turnsignal circuit board and to drop a little more weight from the bike. I have also purchased a spare rear SF shock. The shock will be sent to Cogent Dynamics for a rebuild. They should be able to get 9" of travel from it, to match the front travel.

I'll post pictures as soon as I have a roller.

SamM
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E

Old 04-07-2011, 11:41 PM   #49

Wow you're off to a good start!

I highly recommend the Happy-Trails skidplate.

I am interested to hear about the windshield you ordered... :P

Old 04-08-2011, 02:22 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Wow you're off to a good start!

I highly recommend the Happy-Trails skidplate.

I am interested to hear about the windshield you ordered... :P
Sam never lets any moss grow under his feet, Doc. Please do keep us updated, Sam!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-08-2011, 11:39 AM   #51

Thanks SpudRider & FastDoc! :wink:

When I purchased this motorcycle, I saved myself a great deal of money. That made the decision to jump into the build much easier. Actually, I just switched the lights on in the garage and I'm getting ready to hit it. Right now, I'm sitting here waiting to hear if my wife will have a job next week. The government shutdown would close her department on Monday. It doesn't look good! :roll:

Anyway, it shouldn't take me very long to finish this project. I'll be calling Zack at Woody's here in a few minutes and then Happy-Trails later on today. Once the wheels get here, the bike will be rideable and that's the most important thing to me. The downtime sucks! As long as I have the wheels, the exhaust and a lot of the other parts can wait, until I have more time to rejet the bike. Which I'll need to do as soon as the exhaust gots on it. Most of these parts are still on the way to me. The wheels may ship today that's why I need to call Zack.

Also, I'm really torn over the 351cc engine kit. I have the funds to order the B&B kit. However, the downtime associated with having my stock cylinder machined or the condition of the core cylinder that I would get, if I go that way, is my main concern. At this point in time, I'm not sure what I'll do. Perhaps just doing the bolt-on mods would get me where I want to be. I'd like to be in the 26 to 30hp range. If the bike does in fact make 21hp stock, I think this would be reasonable.

FastDoc, just to clear it up. The windscreen is a future addition. I have not found anything yet that will work. I am looking though and I'll report what I find.

Stay tuned!

SamM
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E

Old 04-08-2011, 11:59 AM   #52

It seems to me a company could make a small windscreen to replace the white 'number plate' above the instrument cluster.

Prayers sent for your wife. A shutdown makes BOTH political parties look like asses and hurts a lot of innocent people.

I'd go for the 351 kit. I bet almost all the cylinders they have are from guys like us with new bikes. IF they had ANY damage it would be to the bore, which is removed in the process. The rest of the jug for the most part is inert.

You'd have about the ultimate small D/S bike. It would easily cruise 80, bust the ton, climb anything any other bike can, have great suspension, decent comfort, light weight electric start. Last I checked that's about ALL the good qualities a bike can have!

Just imagine yourself in the West VA mountaians, tight uphill left hander, on the gas, pulling hard, front wheel held down only by your weight over the bars, exhaust echoing off the canyon. (I think its called a 'draw' in your neck of the woods. :wink: ) Life is good!

Old 04-08-2011, 12:00 PM   #53

Plus I bet you'd leave a stock DRZ in your rear view mirrors. 8)

Old 04-08-2011, 12:59 PM   #54

We call canyons "hollers" where I live. You have to remember that the Appalachian Mts. are older and more eroded that the Rockies. They are still pretty steep and rocky though. Plenty of places to hurt yourself, if you're not careful.

She just got this job this January, after losing her previous job in Feb 2010. I feel bad for her. In June, I will have 20 years in with my employer. Eight more until retirement. I hate that it comes down to a political slugfest. We'll make the best of it. Everyone in her office is upbeat about it. It will affect those that can't afford it much worse than us.

Of course, you're right about the core cylinders. I suppose that I could take one afternoon and rebuild the engine with the new kit. Making the KLX faster than a DRZ would be a major benefit. I'd like that and it would shut my buddies up. We'll see!

Just got off the phone with Zack. The new wheels will cost me $850 plus return shipping. Around $900. They gave me $450 trade-in for my stock 17" rims, tires, spokes and nipples. This price includes new 21/18" Excel rims, Neutech TUbliss system for both wheels, new TKC-80 tires, bigger stainless spokes and nipples, all the machine work associated with the Superlacing process and the labor charges for the all teardown and reassembly work. The new wheels are expensive but well worth the price. These are true tough enough for Baja wheels that will handle whatever I put them through.

SamM
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E

Old 04-08-2011, 01:10 PM   #55

Those sound like professional race quality wheels. Plus it seems like a fair core value on your original wheels.

Also, by listing your bike as a KLX350 in your sig line you are morally obligated to install the 351 kit. 8)

I consider it but to be honest my bike runs like the dickens right now and I don't want to fix something that's not broken.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:41 PM   #56

I am in the same boat as your wife Sam. Fortunately our leave is prefunded and I can use it. Nearly 300 hours saved.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:28 PM   #57

katoranger,
This two party system seems to be getting out of control. They simply will not compromise. Honestly, I don't think they know what they are doing or what the long range repercussions of going down the wrong path are. Going further and further into debt and printing more and more money isn't the answer. Cuts are hard and we have all done it, at some point. It's hard to tell our kids, no! You're a smart man to save your time like that! Awesome! As I said, we'll be fine. I work everyday! Well, it seems like everyday.

FastDoc,
I wanted to beat everyone to the punch on that one! I like the KLX350F designation. The S was dropped because it's no longer a Supermoto. The lone F is sort of a takeoff on the KX250F. More of an off-road model with the 21/18" off-road wheels. It's goofy but I think the designation should say something about the bike. Yes, Woody knows his stuff. These ARE race quality wheels. Zack will ship the wheels out to me on Tuesday. I'll try to post pictures next week.

I spent today putting on the new Moose Racing handlebars, handguards, aluminum throttle tube and gel grips. It looks pretty good.

SamM
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E

Old 04-08-2011, 03:54 PM   #58

I am following along. This could be a future bike for me.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:08 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
I am following along. This could be a future bike for me.
Don't delay! I LOVE my KLX! Great value. See if maybe you can still score a deeply discounted '09.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:09 PM   #60

SamM.

I assume your last name starts with an 'M' so I vote for a KLX350M.