Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2010, 11:47 PM   #46

phil's rebuild

I am in awe ,Phil I just tried buying one of those to fix up, but not to that spec. It is awesome ,sadly the person has declined my offer.It ran but was very abused.Your resto is amazing!

Old 06-10-2010, 05:04 AM   #47

Picked up the cabinet today from my dads cousin. It is similar to the bench top model Weld&Grind is looking at. The light in it isn't working, and I want to put some new gloves in it, but hope to test it out soon.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:52 AM   #48

Ok so I'm waiting on some parts for the 350 so I tinkered a little with this one.

I have some parts for the ignition, but the parts on the bike, and the spare are not the same... I may be able to take the two, and turn it into one, but I don't know much about the ignition stuff so I'm going to do some research. I can buy all this stuff new if I need new pieces.

This is what the side on the bike looks like,

This is what the other one looks like

The plate is different, but the coils look the same... I was in the process of taking the coils off of there to put on the other plate, but I figured I have to deal with the wiring behind the plate, so I decided to do some more research before taking it apart. I have a copy of the service manual so I'm going to look that over, and maybe read up on dans mc course about this stuff.

Like I said though, I can get this stuff all new if I need too.

I took the seat off...

As you can see, the pan isn't much good... But I think I may blast it, then get my dad to show me how to weld some patches on it, and then maybe do some fiberglassing... Either that or look for a cheap seat, but I haven't seen any on ebay yet.

I took the torn up cover / foam off. I kept the chrome seat molding, it has a small bend but should be recoverable.

I also found that the stator (?) / counter sprocket cover is cracked, and should be replaced, though, since it doesn't hold any oil or anything, it's not too important I don't think.

Anyways, that's all for the 70 for now.

Oh, I also wrote up the letter to do the title search.

Edit,

Just looked at the mini trail site,

I can get the stator kit for $28.50.

Got a bit of a parts list going...

Old 06-20-2010, 12:20 PM   #49

Those two stator plates aren't that different. They both hold a coil, a set of points and a condensor. Now's a good time to replace the o-ring around the plate. This one might be the same: http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...ewtopic&t=7678

That's a good deal on the stator kit, although I'd consider swapping to electronic ignition while you can. I hate points.

Good luck with that seat. A new Lifan pan and seat might be the best option.

If your Dad has a TIG welder, he could likely weld up the crack in the stator cover and you could then polish it. Don't even try if it's magnesium, only aluminum.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-20-2010, 01:58 PM   #50

Will a Lifan seat work? I would not relish trying to repair that seat. :(

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-20-2010, 08:48 PM   #51

W&G, I could be wrong, but the one not on the bike, behind the coil is open, and the one on the bike looks to be solid, unless there is a plate behind it, but I thought it looked like one piece? Either way I'm going to have to take it off I suppose... I may see if I can make it work by putting the two together into one.

About the points / electronic ignition, I don't know what all is involved in switching, but I figure I was going to leave it mostly stock... I'm ignorant to ignition stuff in either form, I guess this bike (or the 350) is going to be a learning process in that department.

I ended up buying this seat for about $130(CDN) shipped... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=190404933740

It is correct for this year of the bike and includes the chrome too.

I had originally thought of getting foam and a cover, and fixing the pan or finding a pan, but that would cost probably at least $75 plus shipping, before sorting out the pan... This way it's all there and all new, and I don't have to worry about fitting the cover on or repairing my damaged seat chrome.

That side cover, I believe is aluminium, but not certain right now. Though if you look at the bottom closer to the right you will see another chunk missing... I can get a new cover for $45, if I feel like later on. First I want it to be functional

Old 06-20-2010, 11:34 PM   #52

You bought a nice seat, Jim. I don't blame you for not wanting to restore the old one.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-21-2010, 02:01 AM   #53

Not sure about the stator plate Jim. I'd have to see them both out of the bike.

Good choice on the seat. Totally worth it.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-21-2010, 02:01 AM   #54

Well I figured the pan was junk, but it would be something to practice blasting and welding... and fiberglassing... etc.... etc.. etc on. But the foam and cover was not something that could be saved, the pan, probably after all that would have still been junk, and this one is all there, so we'll see how it looks on the bike.

I wrote out the letter to do the title search, once that comes back I have to send a registered letter to the last registered owners last known address... 2 outcomes are favorable... They get it, sign the papers, and send it back... Or the letter is returned as undeliverable and I can move forward getting a title.

If they get it and say hey, no way I'm not signing that, then I guess I'd be out the bike... I did a vin search against stolen vehicles though and nothing came up, so I don't think it should be a problem. Also it is likely that the last owner won't still be at the address the bike is registered too so it will come back as option 2 that was mentioned.

I'm not sure what happens if the title search doesn't find a last registered owner... But we'll see how it goes.

Derryk, I'll probably drain the oil and pull the plate out one of these days and have a look.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:05 PM   #55

Any updates?

Old 10-31-2010, 04:05 PM   #56

Yes update... I finished getting registration, I took a bit longer then necessary.

So what I had to do was send the "bill of sale" that I got when I bought in with a small fee ($7) to ICBC to do a record search...

From ICBC
Quote:
What if I don't have the vehicle's registration document?
If you bought a B.C. Registered Vehicle
Ask the seller to provide you with the Vehicle Registration. If the seller has lost or misplaced the Vehicle Registration, ask him or her to go to an Autoplan Broker's office to have it replaced.
If you are unable to contact the seller or last known registered owner, you must request a vehicle records search. To request one, you must write a letter to:
Driver Testing and Vehicle Information
ICBC
154 - 151 West Esplanade
North Vancouver, BC V7M 3H9
State in the letter that you are requesting a search for the last registered owner. The letter must also include:
proof of purchase, which can be a completed bill of sale, a Transfer/Tax Form (PDF), or a Notarized Statutory Declaration.
a $7 cheque, payable to “ICBC.”
your signature
For more information, please call:
604-661-2233
toll free 1-800-464-5050
If you bought a non-B.C. Registered Vehicle
Ask the seller to provide you with the vehicle registration from the vehicle's home jurisdiction. If the seller has lost or misplaced the document, the seller must replace it from the vehicle's home jurisdiction.
If you are unable to contact the seller or last known registered owner, bring your original bill of sale and vehicle to your Autoplan broker. The broker will investigate further.
I sent in the search but ICBC told me my bill of sale was incomplete so I had to get the notarized statutory declaration... I think it costs around $30 from the notary. It is an unregistered vehicles and missing signatures declaration, I believe ICBC sent me the form when they told me the bill of sale was incomplete. You just fill it out and explain you bought an old motorcycle to repair for however many dollars from who and that you did pay for it, but the seller did not have registration. You mail it in to ICBC and they will mail you a paper with the last registered owner, and I believe some instructions. You then send a registered letter (I believe with a copy of the notarized form and something.... ICBC will tell you what, to the last registered owner. Keep the receipt for the letter. Then you either need to wait a specified time and if it hasn't been returned you can take all your papers to ICBC and register, or if it returns undelivered you can take it to ICBC to register. Otherwise the outcome you'd want would be the owner to sign the bike over and send the papers back, but they usually aren't at the same address anymore and you just get the paperwork back. It just takes time waiting but it really isn't a big deal.

Old 10-31-2010, 04:44 PM   #57

Thanks for that explanation Jim. I feel better about buying an old Trail 70 or 110 and going this route.

Maybe when the kitchen is done.

Old 10-31-2010, 04:54 PM   #58

I think the only way it could go bad is if the previous registered owner lived at the same place and refused to sign, but I've done this twice and my mom has a few times as well (for the old metropolitans), and we haven't had any problems... I'm not sure how it would work if it turns out the bike hadn't been previously registered, that may require a provincial inspection.

You can also do a free stolen vehicle search here http://www.cpic-cipc.ca/English/search.cfm

Old 10-31-2010, 11:00 PM   #59

That actually sounds pretty painless. I am going back to "the pile" on Tuesday. If the CT70 I saw is still there I will probably pick it. Maybe it could be my commuter.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:21 PM   #60

See Kato? You just needed a little prompting from your support group.