Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2019, 05:29 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh View Post
Congrats on finding a 2 year old XR 650L for the price of a Magician ($1,400) but this means the XR 650L lost 80% of its value in two years? Yikes. I wish I could find one of these low-mile maintenance record unicorn Jap bikes in my area but in California there is high demand for dual sports. Out here, Magician money might get you a nice 1980's XL600 but the parts will not be cheap.
"I stopped just short on investment".............

EDIT: Let's see... Where can you buy a 2019 XR 650L($6,999) bought new a week ago for $4,037 since it's my(<-notice the italics) understanding that is wrong?

Last edited by DualSport; 05-01-2019 at 06:44 PM.

Old 05-01-2019, 05:37 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualSport View Post
"I stopped just short on investment"..............

By all means show us where a Hawk with $2,500 invested in modding is getting more than $1,000 on the used market.. First thing the public is going to do is Google "RPS Magician" or "RPS Hawk" and offer you less than 1/2 what Google Shopping or TX or Q9 is listing..

The last big listing even on this forum was a Hawk with close to $3,000 invested in mint condition selling for $950.00 OBO...
2500 invested in modding or with the price of the bike included?

I have one of the most modified Hawks on here and I haven't even broken $1000 in mods. Not even close to it.

Maybe if I upgraded to some better rims I would reach that point, but as it sits? Maybe $2000 including the cost of the bike. Would I get more than a grand for it if I try to sell it, probably not, but I also don't plan on selling it.

Even going to town and doing full bolt on upgrades would be hard pressed to spend more than about $600. Obviously that will change depending on the parts purchased - you can buy 3 ebay exhausts for one FMF system for example.

Anybody with some basic common sense should know that these bikes have little to no resale value second hand. I went into buying one absolutely knowing this to be true.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Last edited by Megadan; 05-02-2019 at 02:24 PM.

Old 05-02-2019, 10:34 AM   #48

Hour from my house(I was nice and didn't do a deep search for even newer).. Dealership work 300 miles ago with 800 miles.. 3 years old.. $4,800 OBO https://fayetteville.craigslist.org/...827422424.html. In 2030 you'll get at least $2,000 for it..

By the way I paid $3,200 for my XR it was a 2015 in 2017 with 680 miles and an account at a Honda dealership.. A 2019 right now is $6,999 at any dealership.. Not sure what is with all the bull "unicorn" and liar posts by people who haven't even listed an RPS bike to have a clue what I'm even talking about.. I can buy a $2,200 six-month old Hawk from a member of this forum right now for $800.00....

Again..... show me ANYWHERE a Hawk or Magician is going for even 50% even a day after it is assembled or fully modded mint.. I sold my XL 500 for 45% of what a 2019 XR 650L is 37 years later eight days after putting in on a local CL listing, and it was covered in scratches STOCK...

P.S. Two of the Hawks I have were bought from members of this forum for under $700.00 and they put almost everything you could buy on them.. I can easily prove they immediately depreciate way disproportionately than Japanese till the cows come home.. You'll have to censor the internet to get that horse poo to pass..

Old 05-02-2019, 10:52 AM   #49

I've done very well selling my China Bikes. The most I've lost, after years of riding them, has averaged about 20%. On the other hand, good, used Japanese dual sports are very hard to find here and very expensive. No unicorn, just my experience.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 05-02-2019, 11:02 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
I've done very well selling my China Bikes. The most I've lost, after years of riding them, has averaged about 20%. On the other hand, good, used Japanese dual sports are very hard to find here and very expensive. No unicorn, just my experience.
You don't even have to leave this forum to get one with at least $300.00 worth of parts and low miles for less than $800.00.. I got two of them from actual members of this forum sitting out back right now and paid less than $1,400.. They threw it toolkits and other stuff too..

"unicorn" and lying posts won't fly when you can just click over to another section and see proof.. If you go to Facebook Marketplace they are going for $400.00... I plan on bringing this up on a regular bases too especially when people want to know what they are buying.. I plan on being a major PITA to RPS, TX, and Q9 and all the bullcrappers.. I want a fully modded Hawk selling for $300.00 even in a focused market like the classified section here by August.. When Megadan eventually has to sale his I'll be there waiting..

Old 05-02-2019, 11:50 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Either very expensive, or completely thrashed and worn out. Sometimes both.

Charles.

Old 05-02-2019, 12:10 PM   #52

I planned on riding my last Hawk into the Earth. Same plan with this one. Why would I "have" to sell something I already stated I knew I went into buying that would have no real return on resale? A fact I have never argued against btw.

Oh wait, I didn't type my arguments in bold so maybe you missed them.

You do seem to love to forget that markets are different in different areas though. You seem to live in an area heavier with dual sports on the market than some of us. A deal like that XR650 here IS a bit of a unicorn. The last XR650 for sale here was a 2002 for $2800, and it needed a lot of love. (I actually went and checked it out because I wanted to buy it). That was 3 months ago.

I was never really arguing against you in the first place in any case. You do make some good points grounded in reality. Now if you could learn to make them without being rude, negative, and condescending is an entirely different subject matter.

Old 05-02-2019, 12:37 PM   #53

Quote:
I plan on bringing this up on a regular bases too especially when people want to know what they are buying.. I plan on being a major PITA to RPS, TX, and Q9 and all the bull******..
It's unfortunate you had issues with RPS, TX, and Q9 But this is not the place for this. Take up those issues with them personally.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Last edited by JerryHawk250; 05-03-2019 at 11:22 AM.

Old 05-02-2019, 01:10 PM   #54

Quote:
Again..... show me ANYWHERE a Hawk or Magician is going for even 50% even a day after it is assembled or fully modded mint.. I sold my XL 500 for 45% of what a 2019 XR 650L is 37 years later eight days after putting in on a local CL listing, and it was covered in scratches STOCK...
Who said that a Chinese bike retains resale value???
You think that people mod their chinese motorcycle (or even buy one) to be able to resell it for a profit??

First you said:

Quote:
Or basically any low-mile with maintenance records jap dual-sport, and be able to sale it later.. My original Magician I stopped just short on investment on what I paid for my XR 650L that was two years old and garage kept at the time, and I spent a fraction on parts of what most people here have..
The MSRP of a Magician is 1400, which means you paid 1400 for an XR 650L..
But then you said.

Quote:

By the way I paid $3,200 for my XR it was a 2015 in 2017 with 680 miles and an account at a Honda dealership..

1400 ≠ 3200

Quote:

P.S. Two of the Hawks I have were bought from members of this forum for under $700.00
And then you wonder why you have so many issues with those bikes..

Old 05-02-2019, 02:18 PM   #55

Quote:
"unicorn" and lying posts won't fly [/b]
DS, I certainly hope you're not inferring that I may not be telling the truth. I simply relayed to the forum my personal experience with my 10+ year history of being a China Rider. I've had good luck with them and they've been a good value for my wife and myself.
In the meantime, this thread really has gone adrift.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 05-02-2019, 02:37 PM   #56

Now, HERE is a bike I would buy over a Hawk IF I were looking to buy something right this moment. https://omaha.craigslist.org/mcy/d/l...879834969.html

Nice condition, and seemingly well cared for with fairly low miles. The problem is, this kind of posting is rare around here. That is why we call them unicorns. Nobody has ever argued that they don't exist, but that they don't exist in quantities that make them easy to pick up whenever I desire to.

In the end I ended up with something similar for about the same money. Yes, that Yamaha will always hold it's value. Heck you could probably buy it, ride it a couple of years, and sell it for about what you paid for it. while I would be lucky to get half of what I have into my Hawk back. Again, that doesn't really matter to me since I went into it planning to ride the bike into the ground. Sound financial decision? That depends on how you measure it really. If you change your bikes like you change your underwear, then no it isn't.

Old 05-02-2019, 09:06 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post

Nice condition, and seemingly well cared for with fairly low miles. The problem is, this kind of posting is rare around here. That is why we call them unicorns. Nobody has ever argued that they don't exist, but that they don't exist in quantities that make them easy to pick up whenever I desire to.
The great thing about true japanese motorcycles (not those made somewhere else and stamped with the brand) is that you are going to find parts anywhere and the depreciation is not really huge... The problem is finding one that has a good price and is not beaten to death.. Even rare is to find a Japanese 650 Dual Sport from 3 years ago for the price of chinese motorcycle.....

Quote:
that doesn't really matter to me since I went into it planning to ride the bike into the ground. Sound financial decision?
I think these is the same mindset of most of the people that buy chinese motorcycles. Buy it, use it till it becomes dust...
But hey in every single hobby there is the guy that cares way too much about resell value......

Old 05-03-2019, 02:10 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Dog View Post

.....The MSRP of a Magician is 1400, which means you paid 1400 for an XR 650L..
But then you said.

1400 ≠ 3200
DS this is how I interpreted your post as well. No offense intended, I said "Unicorn" because a 2 year old XR650 for the near the price of a new Magician is a deal I will never be lucky enough to find. Again, the demand for these bikes changes from area to area.

I agree with the idea that resale value on a chinabike doesn't need to be a huge concern because the cost to purchase/operate/maintain one is incredibly low. For similar reasons, I doubt many people are worried about resale value when they go out and buy a new Mitsubishi Mirage or Chevy Spark.

Old 05-03-2019, 11:08 AM   #59

Quote:
2500 invested in modding or with the price of the bike included?

I have one of the most modified Hawks on here and I haven't even broken $1000 in mods. Not even close to it.

Maybe if I upgraded to some better rims I would reach that point, but as it sits? Maybe $2000 including the cost of the bike. Would I get more than a grand for it if I try to sell it, probably not, but I also don't plan on selling it.

Even going to town and doing full bolt on upgrades would be hard pressed to spend more than about $600. Obviously that will change depending on the parts purchased - you can buy 3 ebay exhausts for one FMF system for example.

Anybody with some basic common sense should know that these bikes have little to no resale value second hand. I went into buying one absolutely knowing this to be true.
My china bike has alloy rims and lots of other upgrades and I have not hit the $2000 mark not even close.

Old 05-03-2019, 11:22 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
My china bike has alloy rims and lots of other upgrades and I have not hit the $2000 mark not even close.
That's pretty awesome. I honestly haven't added everything up on the bike, but I am probably right at 2k in large part due to the rear shock and YSS Fork valves, which together added up to about $230. They were worth every single penny though, I have to say. Alloy rims are a definite upgrade for me in the future. I am just holding out to find a good deal on a used set if I can.