Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2021, 02:08 PM   #46

I spoke to the fabricator and we're good to go on the engine cradle re-design. Unfortunately he's loaded up with jobs until about the middle of next months.

In the meantime I am going to dive into the wiring harness. Will post some diagrams and pictures over the next few days as I build out the tie in harness for the lights/gauges.

Old 11-02-2021, 02:47 PM   #47

Hey, I tried! Sorry my idea wasn’t your cup of tea, but if you have some questions on the electrical, whistle my way.

Old 11-02-2021, 06:51 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExMxer View Post
Hey, I tried! Sorry my idea wasn’t your cup of tea, but if you have some questions on the electrical, whistle my way.
You did and it was a good idea. Worth looking into at the very least.

I will most certainly give you a shout when I start on the harness. I've got a diagram of the wiring I've made based on the SSR harness and the plugs I have. I'll post it up tomorrow for everyone to have a look at.

Old 11-02-2021, 06:59 PM   #49

I just got an email from Baja Worxs about my KTM-style enduro windshield. I ordered it back in August when they were on backorder and it finally shipped. Should help a bit keeping the wind off the chest when opening up the NC250.

Old 11-10-2021, 04:59 PM   #50

Took a bit of break from the build to work on other projects, but I'm back at the electrical/wiring harness this week.

So this is what we have for the engine:

As you can see, pretty straight forward. Connections make sense. Pretty simple layout. The fun (read as work) comes in when we look at the stock Orion harness.

Now, I'm mostly going to rely on the harness that came with the engine, but I am intending to splice things like lights and the dash cluster. So I've got a bit of work ahead of me. If anyone out there has some advice before I start this, believe me, I am willing to listen.

Old 11-11-2021, 10:26 AM   #51

Replacing connectors with new waterproof connectors and bringing the wire in to fit would be a clean look. If I was just splicing, I would wrap and use a pencil iron to solder with silver solder and shrink wrap. I got some bullet connectors and a crimper on Amazon worked pretty well.

Old 11-21-2021, 12:58 AM   #52

The frame goes off to the fabricator next month on the 6th. Seems like everyone has been swamped with work these last few months.

In the meantime, wiring continues. No real progress yet. Mostly just disassembly of the old lighting harness and prepping the new harness for splicing/re-sleeving.

I spent some time mounting my Baja Worx windshield this morning. Small quality of life improvement. Should keep the wind of my chest a bit more and lessen riding fatigue. Plus it looks about 100x better than my old Adventure Spec mini-fairing.

Old 12-06-2021, 03:07 PM   #53

Frame is dropped off to the fabricator.

Should have it back within a week or two. They're going to get the engine cradle squared away and give me a bit stouter mounts for the radiators.

Other than that business as usual. Once I get the frame back, we'll get back to regular posts as I finish up the swap.

Old 03-03-2022, 12:11 PM   #54

It's been a slow process over the last three months (work, IRL BS, etc) but I did manage to get over to the shop yesterday. We discussed some exhaust clearance concerns and I dropped off most of the front end parts for fitment tests.

For context: I had planned to use KTM '12-'15 radiators (bit more capacity, longer as a result) but this would have made the exhaust mounting almost impossible. So we decided to get some Zongshen NC250 stock radiators (via Aliexpress), which gave us the clearance we needed.

We also did some measuring on the rear shock to the engine to make sure we weren't rubbing anywhere at full sag. It was close, but not "too" close.

So, I know this is kinda of a crap update, but the prroject is still moving forward. Not dead yet. Should have the new bends for the cradle and front mounts for the engine welded on in the next week or two.

Current state:

Old 03-10-2022, 01:59 PM   #55

Great swap thread. I did the exact same swap last year. The only difference was my bike was an older model of CRF 230 clone, 2003 to 2006 model. Plus I got the NC250 / ZS177MM used motor which then I rebuilt from bottom to top with new parts directly from china.

In my swap, the hardest part was getting the tank fabricated for it as the original tank didn't allow the radiators to fit properly so I got a new tank fabricated.

Let me know if you need any help with wiring, jetting, valve clearances, etc. Anyways good to follow this thread.

Old 03-10-2022, 02:05 PM   #56

I used radiators from Husky 510 which indeed created problems for the exhaust manifold as their height is more than what we need but I didn't have the budget to go for new NC250/Rx3 radiators as they would have cost a lot from Aliexpress. I would rather save that money for a Big Bore kit ....lol

But the large-size radiators proved more than enough to keep the bike cool even on tight tricky slow trails.

Old 03-12-2022, 11:22 AM   #57

I lucked out on the tank. The KTM style tank that Orion used let me swap in the larger Acerbis 5.3 gallon tank which gave me more than enough room to fit the radiators in. The larger problem was the front forks and the exhaust impacting them.

We decided on a slightly swept back position for the radiators. This gave us enough clearance on all fronts.

What carb and jetting did you end up going with on your swap? I've got a few laying around in the garage of varying sizes. (Nibbi 26mm, 32mm Nibbi style that came with the engine, and a 32mm Flat-slide Mikuni clone).

I've seen a lot of SSR riders swap in the FCR or dump that money on MxRevival's Lectron setup. Most seem to point towards a 34mm being the sweet spot, but I'd love your opinion, knowing you've done a swap like this before.

Old 03-12-2022, 12:25 PM   #58

Makes me wonder if a NC450 would fit in those spaces?

Old 03-12-2022, 01:12 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Rider 27 View Post
Makes me wonder if a NC450 would fit in those spaces?
Any frame is going to need modification to the engine cradle if it has the 229cc motor in it. But if you wanted to do it, I think it would be possible (the engine height might be a problem though). I thought about going full out NC450, but I decided on the NC250 due to availability at the time. Figured I could big bore the NC250 to a 300 later on if I really want more from it.

The dimensions aren't that much bigger for the NC450, but I will tell you those mm will catch you off guard. I thought I had just enough to fit the NC250 in the Orion frame and it was off by a literal few millimeters.

NC250 Spec Sheet:

NC450 Spec Sheet:

Old 03-12-2022, 06:22 PM   #60

I figured you had done the homework! LOL Conversion a game of mm. The 300 will definitely put you in another class. The NC450 conversion may be what it takes to get the Dual Sport many crave!