Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2010, 11:18 AM   #1

I'll caution you to be gentle with the new seat. The two rear studs can snap off, and the front bracket can pull out. One member (I think it was PCD) used fiberglass to repair his, but hopefully you won't need to.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-14-2010, 09:25 PM   #2

Thanks for the heads up. The reason I got it was the old one is all torn up, the pan may be ok though if I need it in the future...

Old 12-18-2010, 09:41 PM   #3

I went over to look at it again... I'm not fond of the wiring. It doesn't appear any of the wire colors match that wiring diagram that was posted, and none of them match either side of the connectors... Not really sure where to start... I have them all disconnected now, they were almost all disconnected anyways and twisted around everything...

I'm not too worried right now about non-essential wires, like the headlight, taillight, light switches, and so on...

But could use some pics of the other connections, like the coil, rectifier, cdi, and any others that could be required to make it run... Also what fuse do you recommend to replace the screw driver bit? :roll:

The new seat and headlight arrived, they look good, but are off to storage (the barn) until the wiring is sorted out...

Turns out I definitely need new shocks, the front right one is actually broken, it has sideways movement, not just up and down movement.

I also noticed the plug boot is kind of screwed up... Maybe that's why it stopped running (before the wiring was attacked).

Derryk I've still got that fender and twist grip throttle sliding around in the back of my car whenever you want it.

After I got tired of looking at wires I went and put the chain on the Honda, one small step closer for it.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:51 PM   #4

Jim, thanks for the reminder about the throttle and fender.

It sounds like we should just start with a side by side comparison. Are you available over Christmas? I'm taking the last week off this month, and I'd be happy to get together. We could at least make some notes about which colours connect to which.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-18-2010, 09:54 PM   #5

I'd use a 10 or 15 amp fuse. Just a safe ballpark.

Hopefully there is something on this page that will help you wire the motor and get it running:

http://www.hooperimports.com/showpages.asp?pid=1013

A coil, with the plug wire and cap are readily available and cheap. I may have a new extra one you can have for fre., I'll let you know when the Spudparts for my Zong get here.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:55 PM   #6

That reminds me, I definitely have a spare coil and plug wire as well Jim. Happy to contribute.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:59 PM   #7

Thanks guys

Yes, I should be available over the next couple of weeks, I'm only scheduled to work Monday and Tuesday, and then nothing after that as far as their schedule goes... Shouldn't be anything until the new year at least. That sounds good to me as long as it's not too much trouble for you

Doc, thank you for the fuse recommendation and link I'll check those out. And thank you for the offer of the coil/plug wire... I'll see how things go locally And good luck with your SpudParts (spudparts I like the sound of that).

As per your seat warning W&G, I looked at the old one, indeed the sport where the rear latch mounts is broken off. I wonder if I should reinforce the new one before putting it to use.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:25 PM   #8

I thought about that, but I decided I'd reinforce it when it breaks.

BTW, it would be great to have some shop time soon.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:57 PM   #9

Sounds like a good plan

Old 12-27-2010, 09:27 PM   #10

Today I went over to Weld and Grinds, and had a shop day! With his beast there to use for reference it made sorting out the mess of wires very easy. He pulled the body kit off it and untied some wires so we could see all the connections.

We got all the connections figured, and then did some troubleshooting. The spark plug boot was no good, so we changed it and the wire. The solenoid was also not working. W&G had a spare on hand he gladly donated (along with the plug wire/boot and other parts). And we got it started

Thanks again, for the help and the parts

Old 12-27-2010, 09:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Today I went over to Weld and Grinds, and had a shop day! With his beast there to use for reference it made sorting out the mess of wires very easy. He pulled the body kit off it and untied some wires so we could see all the connections.

We got all the connections figured, and then did some troubleshooting. The spark plug boot was no good, so we changed it and the wire. The solenoid was also not working. W&G had a spare on hand he gladly donated (along with the plug wire/boot and other parts). And we got it started

Thanks again, for the help and the parts
Awesome news. Always parts in stock at W&G's.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:46 PM   #12

Hard to beat the price too :wink:

It was a good day, now I just need to do some more tinkering and wait for some parts to come in.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:15 AM   #13

This looks like the cover I need eh? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chain...#ht_2391wt_939

Good price...

Old 12-28-2010, 10:06 AM   #14

Grats on getting it running! Did you get a chance to take it for a boot?

Old 12-28-2010, 10:39 AM   #15

Not yet, we had Weld And Grinds front fairing sitting on the tire so we could use his ignition switch. All in good time