Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2011, 10:18 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
OG, once again your photos are quite remarkable. I appreciate your ability to capture real life in such an honest way.

I had to look up a couple of the words. Cuy gave me a good laugh; Mrs. Weldangrind wasn't as amused. Is that your novia overlooking Huaraz?
X2! Your photos are wonderful. Is "cuy" a Spanish word for pig?

Spud
Yup, guinea pig! Yikes!
I see they come complete, with bowels. Yummy!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-07-2011, 11:26 AM   #47

Weldangrind, MICRider & Spud, thanks. Yes, that is Charito at the overlook, she is a mathematics teacher here in Lima.
Cuy has been a food staple of the Andean culture for a thousand years or more, no one knows for sure for how long. A lot of restaurants serve cuy in the Andes, there are many regional recipes. I have been is a few cathedrals in both Ecuador & Peru where the paintings depict Jesus and the Twelve Apostles eating cuy at the last supper.

Cuy at a restaurant in Huaraz, this is a Ancash regional recipe, cuy with potatoes and gravy

I have been invited into many homes in the Andes, there are always cuy running around in the cooking area

Elisa & lunch

My amigo, Ron, at a cuy street vendor in Cuenca, Ecuador

Old 10-07-2011, 01:53 PM   #48

Ron is holding the largest guinea pig I have ever seen! 8O I bet cuy is very tasty. Also, the guinea pigs probably function very well as pets before they become lunch.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-28-2011, 04:29 PM   #49

Here are a few photos from Chorrillos, just a couple of miles south of where I live, summer is coming to Lima and the weather is getting nice. I finally found a top box that will work, this one is a Chinese clone of a Givi, it was only $30 but it seems to better built than the first one.
The Dakar is coming in January, I want to get further out in the desert this year so plan to take the Mavila, a good set of tires is all that I need, I'll head down to Chile, then try to follow the stages into Peru. This is the first year the the Dakar has come to Peru, I'm already excited about going.

The "Givi"

Mototaxi, Chorrillos, Peru

Mavila & mototaxi

Rear engined, Bajaj mototaxi

Chorrillos, Lima, Peru

Old 10-28-2011, 05:08 PM   #50

As always, thanks for posting the great photos, OG! We also eagerly await your Dakar photos.

You got a good travel trunk this time, OG. Your trunk appears to be exactly the same as my J.C. Whitney Travel Trunk. I own two of these travel trunks, and they have served me very well. Did you get a metal mounting plate with your travel trunk?

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-28-2011, 11:08 PM   #51

OG, I have concluded that you live in the coolest place on the planet. Thanks again for the pics.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-28-2011, 11:52 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
OG, I have concluded that you live in the coolest place on the planet. Thanks again for the pics.
I second that, absolutely beautiful pictures! Would be an awesome place to live/ride! (I'll pass on the guinea pig though, even if it is yummy!)

Old 10-29-2011, 07:25 AM   #53

In one word, Awesome!!! Your pictures give the feeling of actually being their and experiencing it as it happens.
As for the guinea pigs i've often used the threat with my children that if they don't keep their pet guinea pigs cages clean, in the microwave they would go.
After I show them these photos I think i'm going to modify my threat to the bbq.

Please keep the photos coming they are awesome.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:26 AM   #54

Thought I should add it is my 17 yr old that has the guinea pigs not a young child lol

Old 10-29-2011, 12:09 PM   #55

I'd imagine they tast like rabbits, same sort of animal. :?:

Old 10-29-2011, 02:06 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
I'd imagine they tast like rabbits, same sort of animal. :?:
I agree; I bet the guinea pigs are tasty. I wouldn't have a problem eating them, myself.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-31-2011, 12:27 PM   #57

Spud, MICRider, Weldangrind & clippedwings, thanks.
Weldangrind, yes Peru is cool, incredible riding from my place, in a hour I can ride to the desert or Andes, it takes me about eight hours to get to the jungle. A big plus is that it is incredibly inexpensive to live here.
Doc, cuy is the color and texture of dark chicken meat, I'm thinking your correct, most likely taste like rabbit, I don't eat it unless it is served in someones home and I have to.
Spud, yes, I did get the metal base plate, I'm sure this top box is going to hold up.

Yesterday in Surco (my neighborhood)

Mototaxi in Surco

Gas delivery in Surco

Chicken delivery in Surco

My novia, Charito

Old 10-31-2011, 03:08 PM   #58

I believe I recommended the J.C. Whitney Travel Trunk somewhere, in an earlier post. However, you couldn't get J.C. Whitney to ship to Peru. I'm very glad you found the equivalent travel trunk! The metal base is very durable, and securely locks the travel trunk to your luggage rack. I love this travel trunk!

As usual, you photographs are wonderful. I love the different colors and textures in your photos. I especially like the photograph of the yellow church/cathedral. I don't believe I have ever before seen a church that color.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-31-2011, 03:10 PM   #59

Your pics remain a blessing.

None are as pretty as Miss Charito, however. :wink:

Old 10-31-2011, 11:32 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Your pics remain a blessing.

None are as pretty as Miss Charito, however. :wink:
Indeed.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer