Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2009, 12:09 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind

Pete, just cutting two coils will likely make it bouncier, not easier to control. Observe the kids in Honda Civics that took the cheap route and cut coils; their cars bounce like go-karts.

Pete, I think the secret is to soften the spring, widen the track and eliminate bumpsteer.
W&G,

While I appreciate the science of your whole post, I don't think the shocks on these things being bouncier a bad thing. They barely move at all, so removing coils may help.

However, as you say, that may make them fire back and lift the wheel in the air when you hit a catepillar on the ground too, sending the rider flying.

I think a set of play shocks might be necessary.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:01 AM   #32

W&G: Yes, I'm with you, but to start with its the easiest thing to try and if it makes things worse then I can try something else.

I would never cut springs to lower a car for example. As a mater of fact I took my 02 triple black Mustang down to Pompano Beach for Steeda to do things correctly. They put a stage 3 G-Trac suspension on it (as well as other things).

I plan on purchasing a mini beast rear axle. If you look at the pic on GIO's website the axles look identical except for a 2" width difference. Everything else looks like its in the correct place.

Any comments on this?

My mini hummer wheels and tires will be here this week and I have to see how they are going to fit. From looking at the machine, I dont see too much of a problem.

Extending the fronts is a different story. I give waynev kudos for taking a stab at it, not much room to relocate things and sectioning/extending axles while avoiding excessive runout is not easy. From his posts though I expect to learn something about this

Just with the wheels and tires i expect to get a monster truck type look from this thing.
Also remember whos riding it. My youngest has been through many bikes and I've already mentioned what he rides now. One of his fav tricks already is to get it up on two wheels ala Sean Connery in the Mach 1 (Diamonds are Forever).
OFF TOPIC: AT the pumps yesterday I saw a Boss 300 Ragtop...nice. Looked a bit porky, but it is what it is.

UPDATE: JOHN HAS APOLOGIZED FOR SHIPPING THE COLOR RED AND HAS ALREADY SENT AN ORANGE BODY KIT. This is more than I hoped, I told him I'd be OK with small item like a wiring harness for 2 bucks, but he did the right thing. I deliberatly did not make a federal case out of the color.
DUAL EXHAUST ISSUE: He is currently looking in to this. I think I was the first to order a 110cc mini ATV, he mentioned that they figured everything was the same except the engine.
Sometimes Johns emails are a tad ambiguous...the way he worded it is the body kit is on its way, but maybe he stuck a dual exhaust kit in there as well, I dunno. I have a tracking number and the box weighs 8lbs so it may or may not have more in it.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:27 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
W&G: Yes, I'm with you, but to start with its the easiest thing to try and if it makes things worse then I can try something else.
That sounds reasonable. That said, if the wheels are at the upper edge of parallel travel right now (just below bumpsteer), cutting coils will bring them closer to bumpsteer. Maybe not, but I suspect that most of these shocks / ride heights are on the low side, not the opposite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
UPDATE: JOHN HAS APOLOGIZED FOR SHIPPING THE COLOR RED AND HAS ALREADY SENT AN ORANGE BODY KIT. This is more than I hoped, I told him I'd be OK with small item like a wiring harness for 2 bucks, but he did the right thing. I deliberatly did not make a federal case out of the color.
DUAL EXHAUST ISSUE: He is currently looking in to this. I think I was the first to order a 110cc mini ATV, he mentioned that they figured everything was the same except the engine.
Sometimes Johns emails are a tad ambiguous...the way he worded it is the body kit is on its way, but maybe he stuck a dual exhaust kit in there as well, I dunno. I have a tracking number and the box weighs 8lbs so it may or may not have more in it.
Good news! John has always responded to my concerns quickly. I'm glad to hear that he's making things right for you.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-02-2009, 03:30 PM   #34

Hey Pete,

Just wondering if when you bought the wheels/tires if it gave you the option to select the colour? I know on the orange ones they have a coloured trim piece on the outside of the wheel. It looks pretty sharp. Orange is the only colour to have that. I doubt it gave you the option, but I was just curious!

Glad to hear John is looking after it with a body kit.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:55 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
Hey Pete,

Just wondering if when you bought the wheels/tires if it gave you the option to select the colour? I know on the orange ones they have a coloured trim piece on the outside of the wheel. It looks pretty sharp. Orange is the only colour to have that. I doubt it gave you the option, but I was just curious!

Glad to hear John is looking after it with a body kit.
Sorry TurboT, I was answering your post and then got called away.

No, no option for colors, but i do like that contrast. Probably wouldnt be too hard to do it, but I hate having TOO many things lined up. I'm a simple guy, more than 3 or 4 things I get all frazzled.

Waynev: I was thinking about your earlier post regarding pricing...i wonder if they are higher now because of the engine? Might be a factor eh?

FINAL UPDATE DUAL EXHAUST: John and I came to an arrangement I think. Hard to tell sometimes....long and short of it is I ordered the front brakes. Now I know lots of people have mentioned they dont perform too well, but its a PITA the way it is now because the kid has muscle memory for a RH brake lever after all these years...so I purchased the drums and john and I are working something out on C-Clips and another part in lieu of the exhaust. Pricing is a shade in his favour but thats fine.

Now, I dont know what the heck hes going to do on his remaining mini's...change the advertising? Install a dual kit on each bike? (highly doubt it), knock the price down somewhat? Who knows.

Pete

Old 11-03-2009, 01:08 AM   #36

Hey Pete, no worries on the reply.

I was just wondering on the wheels, because they do look sharp with the orange trim and if I had to replace mine I'd want an orange set again, just means I'd have to talk to John directly.. but no matter.

..and, "No comment" on the front brakes. :x

Old 11-03-2009, 01:17 AM   #37

I knew what was going to happen when I mentioned them, but I wanted to finish up with the dual exhaust stuff.

Wish me luck!!!

Old 11-03-2009, 01:27 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
I knew what was going to happen when I mentioned them, but I wanted to finish up with the dual exhaust stuff.

Wish me luck!!!
Good luck!!!

You'll probably get them to work somewhat, just try to get your boy to not rely on them on the quad.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:45 PM   #39

Mini Beast tires/rims arrived.
2 fit, 2 dont fit.

After I walked across the street to pick up one of the original rims and tires (thats where it landed after I threw it in frustration) I started analyzing stuff.

HUBS: All 4 are identical in mini atv
ORIGINAL RIMS: All 4 are identical on mini atv

MINI BEAST RIMS: 2 have the correct center I.D. to clear the slightly raised locating O.D. on the hub. These 2 also have the correct 3 bolt pcd and line up just fine.

On the other 2 mini beast rims that center I.D. is too small by around 1/8", as well, the triangular bolt pattern is incorrect.

THE FIX

I will take teh 2 "bad" ones to work and open up the center I.D. til the hub just barely fits in, then leave the hub there and rotate it so the new bolt pattern sits between the old bolt pattern, thus leaving the most meat between the holes. Then drill 3 new holes. I'm not worried about "perfection" because I suspect these rims and tires are nowhere near concentric or round to begin with, but it will be done as close as I can get it which should easily be good enough.

CONCLUSION

Only 2 possibilities. Either you mini beast owners have different front and rear hubs, or I got 2 wheels from a bad batch. Before you say there may be a third option...these are definatly mini beast wheels, all 4 have the burnt orange trim ring painted on them.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:51 PM   #40

Hey Pete,

Sorry for your frustration level.

I'm trying to visualize what you're mentioning, and I struggle with that.

Pictures always help, but understand if you don't want to post them. :P

Old 11-09-2009, 03:55 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
Hey Pete,

Sorry for your frustration level.

I'm trying to visualize what you're mentioning, and I struggle with that.

Pictures always help, but understand if you don't want to post them. :P
Running late...will do the pics tommorow when the job is ready to go together..dont mind at all...just late today.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:00 PM   #42

You'll make it concentric. Finding a datum would be a bit of a challenge in my shop, but you've got fancy toys at work.

Which wheels won't fit? Front or back? If it's the fronts, this would be a good time to make spacers to widen the track. 8)

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-09-2009, 04:01 PM   #43

Would the hubs that are too small be the rears for the spline drive hub? ..but that makes no sense they should be smaller.. forget I mentioned it. :P

Old 11-09-2009, 04:23 PM   #44

If the 110cc beast vibrates alot even though the frame is bigger than the 50cc. Just imagine the amount of vibration on a 50cc with a 110cc motor in it.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:36 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
You'll make it concentric. Finding a datum would be a bit of a challenge in my shop, but you've got fancy toys at work.

Which wheels won't fit? Front or back? If it's the fronts, this would be a good time to make spacers to widen the track. 8)
All 4 beast wheels as shipped by gio are the same rim size and tire size, so since I have 2 that work, they could be called front or back, keeping in mind all 4 hubs are the same on the mini atv.

I now have pics but dont have a mini USB cable handy and consumer grade digitals dont have bluetooth yet (stupid).

Once I put the pics up you will understand the problem instantly.

Before I make spacers W&G I need to see how those front brakes sit inside the wheels / on the axles.

I also have to install the 2" wider rear axle and see how that looks

One thing I will say...those 2 wheels I just fixed arent coming off the hubs...ever.