Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
View Poll Results: Do you wear safety gear?
I always wear a helmet 23 37.70%
I sometimes wear a helmet 6 9.84%
I also always wear over ankle boots 0 0%
I wear the above plus gloves too 4 6.56%
I wear a jacket 4 6.56%
I wear full gear incuding an armored jacket 19 31.15%
I love the feeling of freedom that shorts and flipflops provide 5 8.20%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-01-2007, 11:10 PM   #31

Send a message via AIM to mdsuave13 Send a message via Yahoo to mdsuave13
true that.. i still wear the joe rocket leather jacket that i went down in, there is some blood stains on the checkered flag on the arms, but who cares, it saved my life.. considering i was ready to leave the house in windbreakers and a t-shirt, i am glad that i for some reason decided to put more gear on that day... i ended up in all my gear before i left....

some things just happen for a reason..

ps. is there a good time to call you ambassador, im sure i've asked this question before, but i figure i'll ask again. just to make sure im not intruding on anything when i do call.

2008 Kawasaki KLR650 Candy Lime Green

I am the official China bike registration Guru For the State of Maryland..... HA.

Old 03-01-2007, 11:54 PM   #32

i really need to buy atleast a mesh armored jacket. all i wear is just a helmet and i seriously fear the day that i have a tube go flat.

Old 03-02-2007, 09:27 AM   #33

I bought a new helmet when I bought my china bike. I still need to buy a jacket, gloves and boots. These jackets with armor in them are something new to me. Anyone know where to buy this stuff at reasonable prices.

Old 03-02-2007, 01:47 PM   #34

We bought $200 jackets from Dennis Kirk on clearance for $45, it was a really good deal came with all the armor and all. Just look around on ebay, dennis kirk and jc whitney. Clearance items are the best deals.
Ride hard and have FUN!!!!

Old 03-02-2007, 02:01 PM   #35

Send a message via AIM to mdsuave13 Send a message via Yahoo to mdsuave13
i've always heard that you can get armoured jackets and leathers from racing schools, they are usually worn, but you can get 1000 dollar race leathers for 100 bux..

2008 Kawasaki KLR650 Candy Lime Green

I am the official China bike registration Guru For the State of Maryland..... HA.

Old 03-02-2007, 03:49 PM   #36

I am wearing a Komodo mesh jacket. I think it is low-end armored jacket. I like the fit in the arms and chest but the waist is just too tight for my big American beer belly. The jacket has a material at the waist that has absolutely no stretch.

I took mine to a bridal seamstress and had her add two triangles of black elastic cloth behind the Velcro adjustments on both sides. Now it is still tight but I can zip it up without sucking in my gut.

The sewing is not as good as say on a Tour Master or Joe Rocket but I like the bright color and the shoulder panels stay cooler in the Florida sun.

Now that I have one I will never ride again without it.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:37 AM   #37

Helmets are mandatory throughout Canada, Government pays for hospitals. For myself, construction type boots over the ankle.(not steel toe) Gauntlet gloves, thick leather. Thick leather jacket, but it's black. Because of temperature, I want the mesh and armor. For Safety and heat I want to wear white. Looking at getting something better than denim for pants.

ATGATT. All the gear. All the time. I don't want to look like a hockey goalie going down the street on a bike. But I am on the street with speed and the hard hard ground.

If you check out ride2die.com you start thinking about safety. N2R-150cc.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:35 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsuave13
leather= 80-100 feet depending on surface
without going into too many details a rider just last week on a rocket hit a minivan head on and was thrown over the minivan flipping and landing face down, sliding 100+ feet wearing a helmet & full leathers. Yes his skin was abrasion free but the impact caused fractures and internal injuries, He survived the trip to hospital but not much longer.

All your internal soft tissue organs are anchored to your skeleton and any sudden deceleration can tear them from their positions resulting in major internal hemmorages without any impact injuries. Alot of brain injuries in MVA's are caused by the brain tearing from the back of the skull and striking the inner front of the skull causing major internal bleeding and swelling without hitting the head on anything.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:42 PM   #39

Molypod, you are a paramedic or something? I've been getting that idea from your posts, just wondering specifically yah know...

That definetly doesn't sound pleasant (brain tearing from the back of the skull).

I've been watching accident investigators on tuesday nights lately... interesting show... Though they haven't gotten into a motorcycle on yet.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:02 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Molypod, you are a paramedic or something?

http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...r=asc&start=15

quoted from above thread:
37( two weeks ago), paramedic, second marriage, blended family of four kids from 4 to 18 yrs old, my first chinabike and first dualpurpose.
have owned dirt and street bikes since I was a wee one.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:26 PM   #41

Ahh gotcha, missed that thread... Well thank you for doing your work, you are one of those real everyday heroes

Old 04-27-2007, 01:32 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Ahh gotcha, missed that thread... Well thank you for doing your work, you are one of those real everyday heroes

Well thank-you Jim,
my work is very rewarding and I couldn't think of a career better suited to me.

Hero: perhaps to some, a professional to most I hope.

Kevin

Old 08-03-2009, 06:20 AM   #43

Hello all,I ride to work across one of the most dangerous cities in Europe "London",the protection I use is open face helmit and armoured jacket and pants, ankle covering hill walking boots,,ie all the kit,,but its not worth a damm,because if you are knocked off and run over "you are dead" just squashed in your armour.Slow defensive riding is the best protection.Use your eyes and ears expect the unexpected.I prefair open face helmit bacause they make me more aware of my surroundings,as oppoused to full faced which is like living in a gold fish bowl,and I read about the guy and his jaw...phil

Old 08-03-2009, 08:40 AM   #44

Helmet It OR Else!

Was doing a little trail riding at Sleepy Creek recently and toppled over trying to bunny hop a fallen tree on my DR250(steet geared) and found my noggin wedged between handlebar and a tree or something like that.

Fullface helmet (cheapo Hawk) made it painless-if not dignified.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:06 PM   #45

This is a great thread and good discussion. Some horrific stories from some of you and happy to hear you've made it through those disasters. Some not as lucky who are no longer with us to share stories.

I'm a novice rider, first time on a motorcycle for me was last year, and I am 33. I have no interest in street riding, I've been almost taken out too many times in my car can't imagine being on a bike. Two kids and responsibilities will keep me from attempting the street.

I always wear my helmet, gloves and long pants while riding my MX bike. No trails yet, just some light riding in open fields. Although I did have the thing up to close to 80km/hr, and Bambi jumped out in front of me from the trees which caused me to come on the brakes hard. Was pretty close for both of us.

Building up my gear now, have gloves, goggles, mx helmet, riding jersey and pants. Need some good boots and a chest protector and I expect I'll be good.

My kids are just into the quad riding now, and they are not allowed on their quads without long pants, boots, helmuts and gloves and goggles. Now they don't go very fast yet, but I'm trying to instill the habits now.

You buy the riding toys and think you're past the expense, then you start outfitting them in gear and the price goes up up up, but no cost on safety.

Ride Hard but ride safe all!