Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2016, 04:46 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by david3921 View Post
I sprayed the Spraymax over Kylon paint for my V65. It works as advertised. I sprayed the gas tank on a Saturday, applied the decals and cleared the next day. I used the gloss but really wanted to use the flat. I tried a flat clear in the past on another project but didn't like the finish as it was a little cloudy. A respirator is a must as the stuff is nasty. I used one from HF also and didn't have any problems.

Here's another option. A post on another site tells about using Minwax poly clear. The poster says that is fuel resistant and used it on his V65 with no problems. As I had some in a spraycan I thought I would do a test. I use electrical box covers to test out paints and such. I sprayed one with black Rustoleum, dried it a little with a heat gun, then spayed it with the clear. I let it cure for about a week and then tested with gas. The clear and paint stayed on. Not a definent test but it showed promise. If I were to paint my bike like newrider did, I would do a more through test and if it worked, use the Minwax instead as the parts are not the tank but the side panels.
How long did you let the Krylon Fusion paint cure before you applied the SprayMax K2 Clear Coat?

I'm not sure I can identify the correct Minwax spray paint. Can you please provide a link?

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-03-2016, 05:30 PM   #32

http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/...-spar-urethane

I used the spray for the test. I know the gloss looks good but wonder how the semi would turn out. The satin has an amber tint.

As for the Spraymax question, I tried to get as close to the base coat/top coat process that I could. That is where the top coat (clear) is sprayed while the base coat is wet. That way there is a good bond. I sprayed the clear well inside a 24 hour window so that there was a good bond. I had to wait until I felt that the base coat was dry enough to apply the decals but still be able to get a good bond. I really don't think there is that much of an issue with the clear bonding but I didn't want to take any chances. By the way, I didn't use fusion. I used Kylon oil rubbed bronze metallic. But, like you said, the clear will cover any paint.
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Old 04-03-2016, 06:47 PM   #33

Thanks for clarifying the type of Krylon paint, and the application method. Also, thanks for posting the link to the Miniwax Helmsman Spar Urethane.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-03-2016, 06:56 PM   #34

I am going to apply the SprayMax 2K Clear Coat to my fuel tank. However, I applied Krylon Fusion Clear Coat to the plastic covers.

http://www.krylon.com/products/fusio...plastic-clear/

Although it doesn't claim fuel resistance, Krylon Fusion Clear Coat does provide UV protection. I couldn't find this product at WalMart, but it is sold at many auto parts stores. In my town, I can get the Krylon Fusion Clear Coat at Advance Auto Parts and O'Reilly Auto Parts.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220