Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2012, 03:06 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toaster556
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifekrisiz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toaster556
Alternately, you could buy u-bolts at princess auto! I used a similar concept when I built the skid plate on my bike. Just make sure you locktite the crap out of the bolts!
would work but I wanted the skid plates to hang just below the frame and a-arms not tight to it and also bolted from the bottom up where if you used u-bolts you would have to have the nuts and ends of the u-bolts sticking down and could hang up.
Very valid points. You're hoping for the squish effect with the skid plates hanging down?
well I would rather have the skid plate hang suspended below the a-arm and frame that way the hangers take the brunt of the impact and not the frame or a-arm....make sense?

Old 03-04-2012, 10:11 PM   #32

so I knew it would not be nice this weekend so I hung out in the garage with a brilliant idea again.....150 foot well fronts had to be cut out do to many cracks and this left a sizeable hole there that a foot could slip through ....not good.

got the main parts bent and cut out to fit now just have to make a few adjustments and add a couple more bolts to strengthen and should be good to go.

leaving the higher lip as she likes to have her foot point out :roll: and this should stop that.

going to get some sticky back no slip to put on these to make them safer as well

Old 03-07-2012, 08:29 PM   #33

Got's me a bag oh shiny thangs!!!!

Old 03-07-2012, 09:58 PM   #34

How much for the whole bag? How many do you get?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-07-2012, 10:07 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
How much for the whole bag? How many do you get?
20 @ $.70ea. was just over $15.00 after taxes......ordered them friday and got them today.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:16 PM   #36

Good deal! There should be plenty for your project.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-08-2012, 09:11 PM   #37

wife had to go out today right after i got home so I put on the coveralls and went to the garage....got the a-arm skid plates mounted only to find that the r/h one would rub on the tire and rim ...hmmmmmm

turns out that the r/h wheel is missing the spacer that keeps the wheel out a bit :roll: still laughing here so not a big deal...will grab one from maple ridge motorsports tomorrow after work.

here is how they look anyway

Old 03-08-2012, 09:20 PM   #38

let me know how those hold up after a good rock run out at Stave Lake after a few good smacks and rock bangs.

I would like to do some up for the two boys sport quads.

I am going to buy some OX boot guard skid plates for my Grizzly soon.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:33 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCCKSR
let me know how those hold up after a good rock run out at Stave Lake after a few good smacks and rock bangs.

I would like to do some up for the two boys sport quads.

I am going to buy some OX boot guard skid plates for my Grizzly soon.

will do ...they are pretty thick and you really have to hit them hard with a ball peen hammer to bend them

Old 03-09-2012, 01:23 AM   #40

They're easy to bend if you anneal them first. I like how you lightened them by drilling holes.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:10 PM   #41

holy crap try and find a piece of pipe to make a wheel spacer in this f'n town ....ain't gona happen

Old 03-10-2012, 05:28 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifekrisiz
holy crap try and find a piece of pipe to make a wheel spacer in this f'n town ....ain't gona happen

ended up going to (of all places) a brake shop and he found me something that would work

Old 03-11-2012, 12:23 AM   #43

I'm happy to hear that you found something that will work. In the future, the answer is at Metal Supermarket; they're near the Colossus theatre in Langley.