Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2009, 10:41 PM   #31

I'm sticking to my Gold Wing. Up to about 130 it will outrun my Corvette. Highway passing ability is outstanding. Only the highest performance motorcycles will take it, and I'm not (so) worried about them running me over. It also has ABS, linked brakes, Traction Control, and crash bars. There is even a Gold Wing model with an airbag.

Lately a diesel F-350 is sounding good, though.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:49 AM   #32

I have never felt comfortable riding any motorcycle on freeways. I did take the lifan down a rural part of I85. It was not an enjoyable experience.

Allen

Old 11-10-2009, 12:19 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrubitup
...I rode my KLR650 back from a 800 mile adventure ride and had to get on a similar freeway. Not having enough acceleration on the KLR to get away or out-brake something like this happening made me leary of dual sport bikes...
I've been thinking the same thing about the KLR650. It will cruise at 75 mph, but it pretty much tops out at 90mph. Also, the acceleration from 75 mph to 90 mph is not that rapid. Don't get me wrong; I think the KLR650 is a great motorcycle. However, it has marginal power for the limited-access highways. Quite frankly, I think even the KLR650 riders are better off to avoid the freeways, and stick to the secondary roads.

Spud
Load it up with 100 lbs. of gear and a fat guy who hasn't showered in a week and it's DOG slow. :P

Agree that it's hard to have the confidence on many bikes at highway speed. Motorcycle injury statistics say that most serious injuries actually occur off the hwy though. Most at intersections and big azz wide suburban "parkways" no doubt. It could have been twice as worse at your lower speed if she T-boned you. That must be why the statistic says that highways are safer. Seems contrary I know.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:57 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrubitup
...Agree that it's hard to have the confidence on many bikes at highway speed. Motorcycle injury statistics say that most serious injuries actually occur off the hwy though. Most at intersections and big azz wide suburban "parkways" no doubt...
You are correct; most multi-vehicle collisions involving motorcycles occur at intersections. In these situations most hazards are approaching from the left, in front of the rider. Therefore, a rider must be especially vigilant at intersections to watch for motorists running stop lights from the left, and approaching motorists turning left in front of him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
I have never felt comfortable riding any motorcycle on freeways. I did take the lifan down a rural part of I85. It was not an enjoyable experience.

Allen
Since motorcycle riders are vulnerable, higher speeds offer greater dangers to us. Since automobile drivers are also traveling faster on the freeway, they are more dangerous as well. At higher speeds reaction times must be quicker, and the consequences of any mistake are greater.

In urban areas it is very dangerous to ride a congested freeway in an automobile! 8O If your bike does not have sufficient power to easily accelerate away from danger, you are even more vulnerable on the freeway.

As China Riders, the vast majority of us are riding 200cc motorcycles. Therefore, to be safest, we really should keep our Chinese motorcycles off the freeways. I am very content to ride the secondary roads on my Zong. I reserve the freeway for my automobile.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-10-2009, 02:08 PM   #35

Being able to keep up with other vehicles is important if you are on a motorcycle, especially in heavy traffic or at night. During the day and with light traffic I would not hesitate to take a small motorcycle that could only do 60-70mph on the interstate but would feel more comfortable on back highways if the traffic picked up. As much as I like riding at night, I try to avoid Friday and Saturday nights, and this time of year with deer being so active, I limit my night travels. I also wear a bright safety vest over my jacket at night unless I'm just going down to the grocery store here in town which is all 25mph roads with only two traffic lights. A KLR650 has plenty of power to handle rush hour traffic and with properly inflated/balanced street oriented tires, stability should be fine up to 90-100mph if wind conditions are not to bad. I had a DR350 and took it on the interstate all the time and I could hang with most vehicles up to 70 mph and in a pinch to get around a semi, it would top out at 90mph. It was a little unstable but I also had 50/50 tires on it. I have a stock DR650 (50on/50off tire rear, 80on/20off tire front) and I flog around traffic all the time during rush hour traffic. The rear tire makes it a little unstable but power is never an issue. Matter of fact not to long ago I was racing around with a 5th gen corvette thru rush hour traffic and going from 30 to 70 mph when the traffic would open up a little I was able to at least hang with him a little bit. A little while before that I raced a V-8Firebird and it was neck and neck until about 70mph. A 650 thumper will hang or beat most traffic until 90mph, so you would have plenty of power to hang with rush hour traffic, or at least I do. A sportbike on a dry day can zip thru rush hour traffic in just the first gear or two. As mentioned most accidents happen at slow speeds and at intersections. I think this accident was mostly because you had a inexperienced young driver that couldn't judge distance and speed at night, but as motorcyclist with little room for error, you have to anticipate and prepare for whom you may be sharing the road with.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:11 PM   #36

Sorry Spud, you wrote your post as I wrote mine, so my statement wasn't directed against your post.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:33 PM   #37

The insurance totaled the Zong and will pay me what they derermine to be fair market value. on the bright side I can get it back for a nominal fee and fix it up myself.

I'm on the way to the orthopedist appointment so we'll see if I'm totalled or not!

Old 11-10-2009, 03:07 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by lego1970
Sorry Spud, you wrote your post as I wrote mine, so my statement wasn't directed against your post.
No problem, Lego. You make some very interesting points.

Decades of research has proven that riding a motorcycle is more dangerous than driving a car. Therefore, every time we ride we need to recognize, and accept the risks involved.

Some riders choose to stay off the street entirely! Others, such as Allen, and myself, choose to stay off the freeways with our 200cc motorcycles. It is all a matter of personal choice, motorcycle performance, and road/traffic conditions at any particular moment in time. However, I might note, as we get older, we frequently become more cautious.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-10-2009, 03:11 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
The insurance totaled the Zong and will pay me what they derermine to be fair market value. on the bright side I can get it back for a nominal fee and fix it up myself.

I'm on the way to the orthopedist appointment so we'll see if I'm totalled or not!
That is good news regarding the insurance, Doc! Please let us know what the Orthopedist has to say. Repairing, or replacing a motorcycle only involves spending a little money. As you well know, the human body is not so easily repaired.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 11-10-2009, 03:41 PM   #40

I have currently chosen to stay off the streets all together. Been having alot of fun on the baja 90. Although that may change if our fuel prices spike again.

I really don't like to travel at freeway speeds, but having enough power to maintain them is nice to get you out of way.

When I rode on the interstate I could maintain about 65mph in the right lane. I rode there for about 50 miles. I was stressed having the 18 wheelers right next to be. Makes you feel like a mouse.

Anyway, current needs have me toting the kids more frequently and that is not really possible on a bike.

Allen

Old 11-10-2009, 06:18 PM   #41

Fastdoc, from what it looks like in your pics, I would try to buy it back if you get a deal on it. Eitherway I'm glad the insurance company isn't trying to weasel their way out of it and hopefully you get a good check out of it. Good luck.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:03 PM   #42

Don't be shy about negotiating the price on your bike. Just because they state a price doesn't mean you have to pay that amount.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-12-2009, 07:49 AM   #43

FIRST TIME BACK ON FORUM IN A FEW WEEKS . SORRY ABOUT YOUR ACCIDENT GLAD YOU ARE GOING TO BE ALRIGHT.

IM JUST WONDERING DO YOU THINK THE ZONG TOOK THE WRECK PRETTY WELL I HAVE HEARD THAT SOME OF THE CB'S WELDS ARE WEAK BUT I KNOW THAT MY ZONG LOOKS PRETTY SOLID THAT I ONE OF THE REASONS I PICKED IT.

GOOD LUCK WITH THE REBUILD.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:12 AM   #44

I just read this thread. You are truly a blessed man. Heal-up soon.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 11-12-2009, 03:12 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsonsgccc
FIRST TIME BACK ON FORUM IN A FEW WEEKS . SORRY ABOUT YOUR ACCIDENT GLAD YOU ARE GOING TO BE ALRIGHT.

IM JUST WONDERING DO YOU THINK THE ZONG TOOK THE WRECK PRETTY WELL I HAVE HEARD THAT SOME OF THE CB'S WELDS ARE WEAK BUT I KNOW THAT MY ZONG LOOKS PRETTY SOLID THAT I ONE OF THE REASONS I PICKED IT.

GOOD LUCK WITH THE REBUILD.
No significant damage. scraped up but otherwise fine.