Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2021, 01:59 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Took it across town, tuned the carb a bit more. Then took it out on some trails.
Damn headlight blew. Had 53km on it. lol. Ordered an led replacement. Was planing to upgrade that anyway but figured I'd get a few more kms out of it. Deffinitely going to build a nice stainless exhaust. Probably worth more than the bike lol.

In good company

Hi! Can you tell me what size bulb the headlight is? I have a new Magician, but right now it's kept over at the family property, where we have a bit of acreage to ride on (it's not at my house so I can't go look at the headlight easily) I know, that makes me lazy!

I've always been a fan of swapping out halogens for LEDs.. definitely starting with the headlight, but I'll also do the turn signals (what size?)

Surprisingly, the bike comes with a small LED taillight with a few LEDs on the flat "circuit board", so I doubt I'll try to replace that. (I have an older Suzuki Boulevard C50 that I replaced the tail light on, and at the time, the best LED option was a flat "board" type that takes up the entire light housing, much like the Magician's tail light, instead of a single "bulb" with a reflector)

And if you have changed out the turn signals, did you get "hyper flash" ? That would require swapping out a blinker relay, which is easy. I'm not sure how the "low-tech" China bikes mike respond to LEDs.. they might not even need a new flasher relay.

Many thanks! And your bike looks nice. I love the photo on the trail with the city lights in the distance. That's the PERFECT use for this bike! Maybe take a few back roads to get to the hills, then ride up and enjoy the sunset!

Old 01-21-2021, 02:02 PM   #32

Quote:

Number 4 I'm going to build my own exhaust from scratch because I am a fabricator. Cutting out the stock cat is a temporary solution. No sense in ordering a halfass ebay exhaust when I can use stuff I have on hand.

My next project is some crash bars to protect the engine.

I'd buy crash bars and a custom exhaust from you.. since you obviously have a nice setup there in the background of the photo!!

Old 01-23-2021, 12:24 AM   #33

The bulb is an h4. Good luck getting an led into it. There is very little space between the back of the housing and the head tube.

I don't use blinkers so I haven't messed with them at all. I pretty much only ride on the road about a mile.

As far as crash bars go these will be welded on so not really something I could sell.
Exhaust will be orders of magnitude more expensive than the currently available stuff.
7-800ish rough estimate.

Old 01-23-2021, 11:01 AM   #34

Funny these Magicians, mine also went out a month or two after I got it. This one is drop in I put in a year ago, has gone up in price, was good value at $29.00.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...MMYGYW3Z&psc=1

I got this set couple of months ago pretty similar. And you get two, a spare or for another bike like I did.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XHD78DQ...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I like the fan less but time will tell. Lots of H-4 work. The increased brightness with the LED is amazing, if you ride at night should be a priority upgrade.

Old 01-23-2021, 11:20 AM   #35

I overlooked the greatest reason to go LED. SAFETY! They pop in bright sunlight so others can see you.

Old 01-24-2021, 11:54 PM   #36

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used that one since it's a native fit.

Old 01-25-2021, 11:15 AM   #37

LED is great! If you ever want to try something super bright..don't be shy about the HID conversion

Old 01-25-2021, 03:33 PM   #38

The more I ride this thing the less I am pleased with it.
For put putting down trails, it's pretty decent. But anything else it's kind of terrible. I definitely don't trust it.

Replaced both lever assemblies, both mirrors, hand grips, foot pegs, removed the cat, tightened everything and it just kind of sucks.
Going down the road it feels like it's going to wash out on me. It wobbles a bit.

I chalked a lot of this stuff up to me being new so I had a buddy (his first car was a bike) try it out. He spent 2 minutes on it and refused to ride it any more lol.

Yesterday the rear tire blew (I knew the tubes were crappy) and my new mirror snapped off. It rattles so bad it snapped the mirror off. I haven't dropped it at all since I installed the new mirrors...

Suspension is useless as well. Bottoms out over the tiniest little bumps.
I'll put it this way, my buddy on his yz and I went out on the trails. He was on the verge of falling over going so slow (I'm being facetious) He was comfortably sitting riding the trails. I was standing up damn near getting bucked off the bike.

Even with all that I could overlook it but the thing that pushed me over the edge is the shifter set up. Every time I move on the pegs (even when on the balls of my feet) my boots hit the shifter and down shift me. I also magically find neutral every time I go 1st to second lol.

That said, I think the engine is pretty decent. I'm going to list it for sale. If no one takes it for 1200 I'll build a buggy with the motor.

Considering the Honda crf150r, klx140, xt250 to replace it. Being short sucks. I have a 30 inch inseam so want a shorter bike.

Old 01-25-2021, 05:30 PM   #39

Sorry to hear you had so much trouble with it. I like the Magician I got and have grown founder of it over time but never thought it an off road trail bike. Logging roads, light trails, a cruiser. I love it around town where I find it corners very well and is surefooted. I have no problem running it out on the highway WOT and feel more comfortable at speed with it on concrete than my Hawk. You were bound to be disappointed if you thought somehow it compared to a YZ! CG strong, ride hard!

Old 01-25-2021, 06:44 PM   #40

Well, I didn't think it compared to the YZ, but he was effortlessly navigating the same terrain I was struggling hardcore on. I had a YZ400 and kx250. Those are not what I wanted. But I need something I can ride out here in my area.

Old 01-25-2021, 07:17 PM   #41

What have you done to properly set up the suspension ?

Old 01-25-2021, 08:43 PM   #42

Set sag, changed fork oil, and shimmed the forks.

Old 01-27-2021, 11:35 AM   #43

Quote:
The bulb is an h4. Good luck getting an led into it. There is very little space between the back of the housing and the head tube.

I don't use blinkers so I haven't messed with them at all. I pretty much only ride on the road about a mile.

As far as crash bars go these will be welded on so not really something I could sell.
Exhaust will be orders of magnitude more expensive than the currently available stuff.
7-800ish rough estimate.

Oh so an LED would have to be shallow.. A lot of LEDs for headlights are all in one units that have a pretty large rear end, circuit board and cooling fan. Humph

Old 01-27-2021, 11:37 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by slithica View Post
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used that one since it's a native fit.

Hey, thanks! So you actually have this exact H4 LED bulb and it fits the Magician?

I know there are plenty of LED brands, I've typically used "Diode Dynamics" as well as "Lasfit" and for Amazon LEDs I have used Hikari brand.

That LED you linked to is interesting.. weird triangle design! But hey, if it FITS, that's all I need, because Halogen bulbs suck, and they especially suck in the Magician!

Old 01-27-2021, 11:48 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Rider 27 View Post
Sorry to hear you had so much trouble with it. I like the Magician I got and have grown founder of it over time but never thought it an off road trail bike. Logging roads, light trails, a cruiser. I love it around town where I find it corners very well and is surefooted. I have no problem running it out on the highway WOT and feel more comfortable at speed with it on concrete than my Hawk. You were bound to be disappointed if you thought somehow it compared to a YZ! CG strong, ride hard!

Those kinds of roads/trails sound like the kind of riding I think I'll be doing with the Magician. I just got it a month ago for Christmas, and have been on around 5-6 rides. Some on country roads, some gravel roads, and some "easy trails" that are mainly used by ATVs.

"EA" seems like he rides much harder trails than I do, and I've seen his pics on his Magician--he definitely does! I'm just putting around, giving rides to my 2 boys, enjoying going SLOW on back roads and dirt/gravel roads.

I've not taken it on any true hardcore trails, and wouldn't think I would want to, or expect it to handle it. I'm having the same issue with the front fork bottoming out a lot (and I think it's the.. Horn? that keeps rubbing on the fender?)

I will try changing the fork fluid to something thicker. My goal is to do 1 thing to the bike each week or 2, so I get to ride it without getting waist deep in projects.

So far, I've made some adjustments to the bike, here and there, and have changed the oil. OMG! The oil that drained out of that thing after about 1-2 hours of riding.. it was SPARKLY!

I didn't know they made SPARKLY oil! It was so pretty, the way it shined in the sunlight.

(Hehehe.. it was thousands of tiny metal shavings... hence why I always change my oil on a new engine after an hour or two regardless of the recommendation... now if I could just find the right MAGNETIC DRAIN PLUG size, I'd feel better about the Magician's engine lasting longer)

Sparkly oil is cool, but I have a feeling it's not good for the engine!