Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2011, 12:14 AM   #31

I really look forward to following your progress. Why would it be hard to get it titled for off road use? Can you get it plated?

Old 09-07-2011, 02:19 AM   #32

Where did you find a semi-auto 125? I'm actually looking for a fully manual 110 or 125, but I'd take a semi-auto if the price was right.

If you have trouble titling the bike, I might have a workaround. PM me for details.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-07-2011, 06:56 AM   #33

I'm not sure how tough it will be to get it plated as I never got a bill of sale for it and it's been sitting for 30 some odd years (Has it really been that long?? Wow!). I think it was street legal way back because my mom recalls her brothers driving them around Calgary... But it has no signal lights or anything.

Hey W&G, I got the engine off of ebay. $259 plus $100 shipping... Pricey, but still cheaper than parts to get my original motor running. Here's a link to it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ht_5539wt_1165

Beauty of it is that it has all it's own wiring with it, that way I'll be able to bypass the bodgered electrical on mine

Old 09-07-2011, 09:35 AM   #34

That's a quick solution; I'm sure it will work well for you.

In case you haven't been through this process before, expect UPS to tack on an additional brokerage fee to bring the engine across the border. The seller has no control over that.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-07-2011, 11:11 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind

In case you haven't been through this process before, expect UPS to tack on an additional brokerage fee to bring the engine across the border. The seller has no control over that.
Yup, I've ran into that before, it's a nasty surprise! That's why I went with this seller, he ships USPS. I am expecting to get hit with taxes and maybe customs charges though

Old 09-10-2011, 12:43 AM   #36

Quote:

I'm really starting to dislike UPS. I ship all my stuff via FedEx; the shipping rates are much lower than UPS, and the service is better. I think UPS has become "too big for its britches." :evil:

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 09-10-2011, 09:18 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Quote:

I'm really starting to dislike UPS. I ship all my stuff via FedEx; the shipping rates are much lower than UPS, and the service is better. I think UPS has become "too big for its britches." :evil:

Spud
+1! I've gotten a few nasty surprises on shipping from the States with Brown... I always try to pick sellers that use USPS where possible, still expensive shipping but not as bad as UPS.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:25 AM   #38

I've been reading up on the conversion to the 125 and it really does look like a simple job. The CDI and wiring comes with the engine and the place I bought it from has diagrams on how to hook it up on their website. I'm anxious to get the engine and then I can figure out what I need to track down to make the bike complete again... It's amazing how many little items are missing, Lol, and I don't even recall taking them off!

I do plan on rebuilding the old engine at a later date and will put it in storage after removal. I think for the amount of things that I need to replace on the engine and electrical for a restoration I will keep an eye out for a cheap parts bike that is mostly complete. Unless I really really like the Lifan, then I'll just stick with that!

Old 09-10-2011, 10:42 AM   #39

I only use USPS to send internationally.

Stew, I think that the biggest challenge is converting 6v to 12v. Also the exhaust will not line up. You will need to make some hangers to move it forward about an inch.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:57 AM   #40

Yeah, there is a short rod / long rod and short head / long head difference with the Chinese stuff. Dr. ATV (AKA Beatrice Cycle) has some good info: Lifan Engine Cylinder Lengths. You can always get a cheap China exhaust pipe that's meant for a pit bike.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:59 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
I only use USPS to send internationally.

Stew, I think that the biggest challenge is converting 6v to 12v. Also the exhaust will not line up. You will need to make some hangers to move it forward about an inch.
I think I have to widen out the footpegs an inch and a half as well, the Lifan is a little wider than the original Honda engine. Have to move the mounting brackets on the footpegs closer together as well. You can also buy a set of pegs with a sidestand and centerstand already made up to fit the Lifan, I think they're about $50. Lol, but then you have to get em shipped again, probably another $30 or $40 .

Hmmm... Electrical. Reminds me, I probably have to pick up a repro harness for this as well since I cut up my original one for some weird reason. It'll be a neat project though and if I do it a bit at a time I maybe wont notice how expensive it gets

Old 09-10-2011, 12:01 PM   #42

Quote:
Yeah, there is a short rod / long rod and short head / long head difference with the Chinese stuff. Dr. ATV (AKA Beatrice Cycle) has some good info: Lifan Engine Cylinder Lengths. You can always get a cheap China exhaust pipe that's meant for a pit bike.
Thanks Weld, might be a good solution for the exhaust. Then it would sound a little meaner too (Well, as mean as a 125 can sound)

Old 09-10-2011, 12:03 PM   #43

I'll probably have to modify the engine guard as well, I've read that you can make them fit with minor modifications. I like the look of the bike a lot better with the engine guard than without.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:08 PM   #44

Foot Peg Assembly

Old 09-10-2011, 12:17 PM   #45

Quote:
Good link! I tried to put it on my watch list but ebay wont let me log in. I'll probably end up buying a set since I no longer have a welder or a torch :(

Unless I can get somebody at work to do the mods to my originals.