Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2012, 10:20 AM   #31

I can attest to that. I've simply punished the CG200 in my atv, and it hasn't missed a beat! I'm a big fan of the vertical pushrod motors.

Back to your topic...

Does the 125 you puchased have electric start, or is it kick-only?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-23-2012, 01:17 PM   #32

I ordered the 125cc, kick-only, 4 speed, manual clutch, international shift pattern (1 down 3 up), OHC engine......It's replacing a "90" cc, kick-only, 4 speed, manual clutch, "four-down" pattern OHV engine.....

I'm 90% certain the shift pattern was partially responsable for the over-revs.....Hard to re-train the muscle memory to do two different patterns automaticly.....
Surprisingly, I didn't have a similar problem on my Harley Sprint when shifting with my right foot, and braking with the left....However, my wife did, so I fabricated a bolt-on adapter that swapped the sides to what is now the conventional pattern on most bikes....I'm very proud of that bit of fabrication as it allows quick conversion onto any of my Sprints without any damage to the original parts of the bike....

As you all can now see, I'm fond of the "horizontal" engine configuration... and reasonably small engine displacements (the Harley has a single cylinder, 250cc pushrod engine)......

Old 11-24-2012, 04:44 PM   #33

Any of my Sprints? Wow. I'm going to request a thread on those! I'd really like to see the fabrication you did to move the shifter to the left side.

I can appreciate what you're saying about the four-down pattern. Son of Weldangrind's first bike had that pattern, and it was a concious effort for me to do it properly. I can imagine that the rotary pattern could be a recipe for disaster.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-24-2012, 09:42 PM   #34

I had a Chinabike witth a reversed pattern. I blew it a couple of times...

My BSA had a right foot shifter but a normal pattern. Also very difficult to get used to, especially since I go back and forth between bikes.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:39 AM   #35

Weld,....Doc,....
Since the primary reason for this project log was to (hopefully) inspire other members to consider, and not be hesitant to make modifications to adapt or "fit" their bikes to their needs and riding styles/purposes, I think the little Harley's foot control swap and mods will be a suitable addition, even if it does stray from the original project a bit......

The principles and proceedure are the same as one would use to fabricate custom rear-sets, so it could also be somewhat of a guide or educational tool in that respect as well...
I'll add/edit in some pics later, as it will be easier to explain and follow the process if they show the construction in stages rather than just the finished assembly on the bike.....
I'll also probably discribe the process in too much detail...LOL.....

I don't want anyone to think I'm "talking-down" to them, but rather I just want the thought process that went into each step of the fabrication to be a very clear example of the technical, mechanical, and SAFETY considerations of any such project.....

Stay Tuned!

Old 11-25-2012, 09:49 AM   #36

Very interesting build. Really looking to see how this comes out.

One of the guys who works for me is doing a custom C100 build. Right now, he is dealing with a myriad of electrical issues but he did make his 'suicide shifter' work.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 11-25-2012, 12:26 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Sprint
I don't want anyone to think I'm "talking-down" to them...
Not at all! We all have different backgrounds and levels of experience. Your willingness to share your experience is what makes this a terrific forum.

If you'd care to start a new thread on the Sprints, I'd be very grateful. Those machines deserve a specific topic. 8)

Old 11-29-2012, 01:10 AM   #38

Engine finally in transit...delivery due the 3rd of December....Can't wait!....

Old 12-04-2012, 08:26 AM   #39

That was yesterday.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:01 AM   #40

The engine arrived on time (date) and looks pretty good.....
Currently, I'm sourcing the wiring connectors I'll need to hook it up to the Honda......

I'm ASSUMING the pin/wire color orientation shown for the 5-wire CDI on the Hooper site is correct for the CDI and Rectifier units themselves, not for the plug halves in the harness..... Can anyone verify?

Old 12-04-2012, 12:55 PM   #41

I would go with colors. Pin layout can be different.

Another very helpful site is www.dratv.com for the horizontal clones.

Allen

Old 12-04-2012, 01:23 PM   #42

Steve, your assumption should be correct. That was the case when I installed the Lifan 200 in my XR200.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:37 PM   #43

Allen, I appreciate the DrATV site link, (saved it and will use it) but my problem is the components themselves have only an internal plug with bare pins showing.... No way to tell colors so I can manufacture the harness....
IF the Hooper drawing shows the component connectors, I'll be OK...But if it shows the plug end that inserts into the units, I'll be wired in a mirror image and may damage/destroy the units.....
The actual cure for me will be to go look at a harness on a running bike that has a similar Lifan engine......Then I'll KNOW I'm doing it correctly....
A friend is allowing me to check out the harness on his 110 Quad tonight or tomorrow, which should have the correct components.....

Thanks Doc, pretty sure I'm right, but will be happier when I'm absolutely sure....The vertical components are/may be different from what I'm dealing with if I'm reading the diagrams correctly....I any case, I'll post the results/solution as a reference.....

Steve

Old 12-04-2012, 05:50 PM   #44

I can now verify that the wiring colors listed on Hooper's site for the 5-pin CDI and the rectifier are the view looking into the connector of the unplugged/loose components..... :wink:

Old 12-06-2012, 10:01 AM   #45

I understand what you are asking now. Sounds like you just moved another step closer too.

The dratv site is good and I have ordered from them before.