Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2021, 12:23 PM   #31

SG400 looks like a slick alternative to a Royal endfield 650 twin, bonniville, or even SR400.
The only thing I really wonder about is the size of the thing. The SG250 is TINY and the SR400 I sat on was also too small for me. I’m wondering about this cool 400cc cafe racer now....

Charles.

Old 04-18-2021, 03:30 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperCharles View Post
SG400 looks like a slick alternative to a Royal endfield 650 twin, bonniville, or even SR400.
The only thing I really wonder about is the size of the thing. The SG250 is TINY and the SR400 I sat on was also too small for me. I’m wondering about this cool 400cc cafe racer now....

Charles.
The SG400's listed seat height is 30.3", your RX3's is 31.3"; so if your cramped on the RX3, you'll be even more so on the SG400. However, if the RX3 ergos are good for you, I would hazard a guess and say you'll probably be OK on the SG400; it really all depends upon your inseam. Like Joey in the reveal video, I've got a 30" inseam, so I will be just fine; someone with a 32-34" inseam, probably not so much.

Old 04-18-2021, 08:09 PM   #33

I'm not cramped at all on my RX3. I'm only 5'9. I'm just fat.
I was hoping the RE3/SG400 would be lightweight, but it looks to be 405 wet. That's not terrible, but 375 would be better, of course...

Anyhow... I really like the british version of this bike. I want the brown seat and the shiny metal side covers. Unfortunately I don't see much of anything available for it on AliExpress... is there another parts source for the bike? One that is possible to order from? (Taobao is worthless to me unfortunately)

Charles.

Old 04-18-2021, 09:42 PM   #34

Quote:
I'm not cramped at all on my RX3. I'm only 5'9. I'm just fat.
I was hoping the RE3/SG400 would be lightweight, but it looks to be 405 wet. That's not terrible, but 375 would be better, of course...

Anyhow... I really like the british version of this bike. I want the brown seat and the shiny metal side covers. Unfortunately I don't see much of anything available for it on AliExpress... is there another parts source for the bike? One that is possible to order from? (Taobao is worthless to me unfortunately)

Charles.
"I'm not cramped at all on my RX3. I'm only 5'9. I'm just fat." LOL.

I believe CSC is working on an accessory brown seat, in addition to the tank and fender color change kit; I don't know about the side covers....maybe shoot them an email and let them know that your interested in them, they seem to be receptive to accessory suggestions for their bikes.

Being just released by Zongshen, I suppose that it will take some time for the Chinese aftermarket to come up with accessories for the RE3, but given the favorable response to this bike, I don't think that it will be too long before stuff starts to appear.

Old 04-19-2021, 01:47 AM   #35

Quote:
The only thing I really wonder about is the size of the thing.
Charles.
That is actually the bike I have been eyeballing very hard lately (The RE Interceptor 650). I didn't even realize CSC was offering these "400's" until today.

I have a feeling the SG400 will be decently comfortable. My 6'4" fat butt is pretty comfortable on the Interceptor 650 - my knees don't go above the tank level, nor are my legs bent less than 90 degrees. Looking at the pictures of the SG400, the peg placement is very similar, so I suspect it will be a similar fitment.

Not sure if I would classify them as a direct comptetiton to the 650 twins, but definitely an appealing alternative. The 650's are bit heavier, but they are also dismensionally just a little bit bigger too, about 2 more inches of wheelbase and 1 more inch in seat height. Plus they have that enormous lump of an overbuilt engine.

I consider these bikes to be about a half a step below the RE 650's in terms of class, although as you said, they are an appealing alternative. I know it made me look twice! I would consider the Kawasaki Z400 to be a much more direct competitor to the SG400/RZ3S. in terms of performance, weight, and price point. The SG400 offering something sorely missing from the market though, retro style with a smaller engine.

One other random selling point to me about the SG400 is the tubless spoked rims. I would personally prefer just a set of cast wheels, but at least with those rims no tubes are required, so that is still a perk.

The only other real consideration is if you are a modder like me, or if you just want a bike to hop on and ride and not fiddle with anything. The RE 650's have a whole plethora of aftermarket, and the respond amazingly to some mods. The SG won't likely have those same options unless CSC offers them, or somebody manages to track down some "aftermarket" parts for this bike on Chinaohao or Taobao.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 05-01-2021, 03:03 AM   #36

Look up Rusi400 on YouTube, the bike has been out in India you can see some blogs about it (in local language mainly)

Old 10-19-2021, 04:20 PM   #37

The SG400 has a cramped leg position. It's not bad for day rides for me, but after 12 days in the saddle my hips and knees were hurting. And I only have a 30" inseam. I think it might be less comfortable for a taller person.

At the same time, the bars are so far forward that I'm stretching to reach them. If I were taller the bars would fit me better.

Lastly, the wind hits you square in the helmet. Some on the shoulders, but not much on the chest. The bike needs a small windshield and handlebar risers to be truly comfortable for me. And also rear shocks, as the stock ones are hilariously bad. (like pogo-stick bad)

Charles.

Old 10-19-2021, 08:54 PM   #38

Quote:
I'm not cramped at all on my RX3. I'm only 5'9. I'm just short for my weight.
Fixed it for you. You're welcome.
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself