Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-01-2020, 10:46 PM   #1

Wayyy off topic: I bought an electric car...

Hey all, sooo, had too many bikes in the garage (is that possible?). So, I traded 2 of them straight across for an electric 2014, Fiat 500e with 46,000 miles.

I will say, had only ridden bikes 2x last summer. My riding buddy hurt his back, sold his bike, and my wife prefers I don’t go ride alone. I agree actually.

Kept a street legal ttr125 and a Honda 90... which I’m giving to my sister, lol.

Anyway, first impressions...

these have the same electrics and motor as the eGolf and the eSmartCar. Bosch electrics. that's a good thing. it's German technology, Chrysler mechanical design, Italian body design, Japanese batteries, and was made in Mexico.

Newbie and his electric car first day:

The 2014 Fiat 500e story... It was listed at 6500$. Buuut, I found a guy at small dealership in Eugene (95 miles away, keep that in mind) wanted to trade for 2 motorcycles. The 2 bikes are worth about 4500$ total. In reality I‘ve wheeled and dealed over the last 3-4 years and really only have about 1100$ into them. On top of that, there’s a 2500$ state rebate for 0 emissions cars so I will get a 2500$ check in the mail... so this one should actually cost me negative money... I’ll have a car and about 1100-1400$ Net cash money.

We get there and it’s a painless transaction at the dealership (Mayberry Motors, if anyone wants to know. Seem like good guys. Associated with, or owns, Joe’s Garage). We head home with 95 miles showing, though range super quickly drops as 65 mph down the highway eats up battery (I was driving diesel F350 and son was driving the Electric car). 50 miles out we stop at Rice Hill and find a charger. Car is at maybe 20%. Have to call the 1-800 number. Evidently there’s an App to download. Takes 10 min as lady on phone has to reboot the charger. Then, 40 min to put in about 40%. It’s free tho...

Onward! Get to Roseburg, and again, down to maybe 15%. We find a charger at Fred Meyer but has a car plugged in. Head across town, and find one at Walgreens. Again, a phone call and a different app. This one we download and it charges us 2$ parking fee, lol, but free charging. Weird. Ok, we leave car and go to 5 Guys for hamburger. Eat in truck, since no in-store tables. Wait 45 min., car is charged to 45%.

Decide to head home on backroads and get home no issues, with about 10% charge left. Car is now plugged into home 120v and, has a cool feature of the charge indicator on the front dash, so I can look out the window and see it’s at 3 bars right now. So def charging. Should be at 5 bars, full charge, by noon. Funny and weird car. Def not a highway car for any distance. Drives great, and like new tho. 46,000 miles on it. Just, like having the gas tank always at 1/3. Should be great commuter and super cheap to use. Gotta remember, highway eats up Battery. 50 is a realistic number. 2.5 hours is realistic charge at level 2. Household charge level one is all day, up to 20 hours. When my rebate comes in, I’m buying level 2 charger, no doubt...

Her name is officially Pearl Jetson... little sister to my 2002 Boxster, Pippi Porsche, and our Kia Soul, Hamster. Driveway full of interesting cars! Loving it. A fun article on Mashable sums up my first day experience. “It’s not a car, it’s a hobby that can take me places...”.

Update: day 4. Car is a great commute car for me (I have to drive 4 miles to work and was commuting in my F350. I’ve calculated I’ll save about 36$ a month just at 10 miles a day). Has instant heat, plus heated seats. Super good acceleration. Good radio. Super nimble. Is fully charged every morning and so far, driving to work plus some extra driving... store, dentist etc, is coming home with about 60-65% charge left.

Tomorrow gets a full treatment long distance, of going into town, 20 miles away, and back.
1975 Corvette
2017 Chevy Bolt

“Throttle twisting geek” -LFN

Last edited by Landsvw; 12-01-2020 at 11:21 PM.