Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2007, 10:27 PM   #31

found this one--

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FRONT...mZ180161180840

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 11-17-2007, 10:54 PM   #32

Thanks for the link. I'll probably order one from him. A bit over priced compared to the JT sprockets.

Q

Old 04-28-2008, 09:10 AM   #33

Does anyone know where to buy the JT Sprokets JTR269 rear sprocket in something smaller than a 49 tooth?

I made the mistake of thinking..."hey, they are right here in Atlanta with me, so I'll just call them directly". No dice. They gave me a 1-800 number to Parts Unlimited, who asked me for a dealer number before they even let me say what I was after.

Dennis Kirk has the JTR269, but nothing smaller than a 49, and they will not order anything they don't normally stock.

I found (and ordered) one from ebay, but it's smaller than I want, and don't really expect it to be useful, but, considering my luck elsewhere, and it's price, I went ahead and made the purchase.

My plan was to buy a couple of different sizes anyway...maybe a 40 and a 42. Anyone know where I might aquire one?

It's still a bit early to give Bruce a ring this morning, but I may have to in a few hours.

Why does it have to be so difficult? :?
2005 Kawasaki EX250 - A new project

Old 05-16-2008, 12:23 AM   #34

Ordering JT sprockets

I decided to go with "RD"s dual front sprocket set up and found it a bit odd that you have to go to a local retailer instead of a full line/on line JT sprocket outlet. Any way, JT gave me 2 numbers for sales contacts, Parts Unlimited; 1-800-369-1000 and a second place of 1-800-347-1010. I called Parts unlimited and apparently they are strictly wholesalers but they did find a dealer for me by way of my zip code. That dealer was at a loss when I told him I wanted to order JT sprockets. ONLY when I told him Parts Unlimited gave me his # did he finaly know he can order JT Sprockets! Then out of the 5 sprockets I wanted, only 2 were available, while the others are now on special back order of up to 4 weeks (just cause their listed, don't mean they exist) . I love the JT web sight on spec'ing out clone sprockets but after hours of googling a on line ordering source to no avail, the above phone numbers is the only way your going to get odd ball sprockets. Hope this helps and Thanks to Andy & RD for putting this all into perspective.
5/28/08 update: still waiting on the sprockets but I did find a good source for the JT sprockets on line = http://www.denniskirk.com just put the JT # in the search without the dot in front of the teeth number and you can see his stock.

Old 06-23-2008, 01:07 AM   #35

Finaly got some new conversion specs that will pretty much blow the idea for most folks.
Firstly, the JTR-279.35 sprocket is sold out. Although Parts Unlimited does carry a lightwieght 33T as PN#1210-0148 this is the std tooth Honda CB200 or CB250 Night Hawk. Here's the real fly in the soup...the hub is cut for a 428 sprocket that is .288" thick. The 520 sprocket is .230" thick. This nessecitates the need for a custom made washer to fit under the hub snap ring so the 520 spocket will ride flat on the hub. The washer should be .058" thick with a 2.284" center hole and an OD of 2.370". It took me over a 1.5 hrs to tool up and make this out of a much larger grade 8 washer.
EDIT OF 8/25/08 in this web sight you can apparently order this "washer" as a honda part from a CB250 rear wheel schematics page http://www.cyclepartsnation.com/page...d/7/Honda.aspx
Secondly, the JTF-1324.14 is also sold out. I did pick up a Honda CRF 230/XR250 sprocket as a JTF-327-14. This sprocket is different in that it is 17.5mm ID rather than the 17mm ID needed (spline teeth are .0085" shorter). This 14 tooth front actual NEEDS the aluminum on the crank case trimmed foward slightly to clear the chain aside from trimming the inner cover somewhat. I did not go this route. Instead, I found the JTF-1324.13 availble and with the 33 rear you get the 2.54 gear ratio of the original plan. This gives you 55MPH @ 6K rpm rather than the 50MPH at 6K of the stock 2.71 gear ratio. This 2.54 ratio is IMO, is a major improvement in matching the power band to my 55-60 (less thottle)cruising speed. Any lower a ratio would have you slipping the clutch hard starting out on a hill or 2 up and 4th would be constantly used on small grades.
For the low range gear, the JTF-1324.11 is available and it looks like the chain will sit on top of the foward swing arm (rubber damper removed)untill you actual sit on the bike. I have not yet run the bike with this sprocket yet but will edit my post results in running this 11F / 33R combo of 3.00 ratio. Its not as low as the 3.18 ratio of the original plan but it should still be a sufficient dirt improvment.
If I knew about the washer and limited sprocket sizes available to make the 520 work, I think I would have done the hi/low range gearing in good quality 428 chain/sprockets such as 17F/43R for 2.53 and 13F/43R for a 3.31 ratio provided these ARE available. The PARTS UNLIMITED Street and Dirt on line catalogs were indispenceable as was the fast stock ckeck of the Dennis Kirk web sight as my first and second sources of these Off Tooth size sprockets. www.bikebandit.com is now also a source for JT sprockets.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:40 PM   #36

STAY AWAY from Parts Unlimited "LIGHT WEIGHT" Sprockets!!!! I bought the 520 33 tooth PARTS UNLIMITED #1210-0148 basicaly because that was the ONLY sprocket in stock any where for my GY5.
It broke into many pieces today leaveing me with a 4 mile walk home! There it is... some ass hole designing sprockets that should be home baking cookies!!!!!!!! Oh yah, it looked reeeal cool all scaloped away!
Whats this world coming too?

Old 08-18-2008, 09:44 AM   #37

How much would it cost to get a sprocket machined to your specs, with the needed quality???

Old 08-19-2008, 12:44 PM   #38

I don't know for sure but Iv seen custom cut sprockets starting at $80 with out the bolt patern.
The sprocket I use is the stock 33 tooth for a Honda CB 250 Night hawk. It shows up in the Parts Unlimited listing as in stock right now for 23 bucks but after a nasty gram to them detailing the Quality of their LIGHT WEIGHT sprockets, They said they would warrenty it if I send the broken parts back through the local (22 miles away)distributor I bought it from. ( more traveling around than its worth) so Dennis Kirk says they will have the JTR279-33 in any day. Dennis Kirk is a 2 day/in hand net order! Parts Unlimited is the last resort middle man retail run around. I have to give P.U. credit tho, I told them I would have sue'ed them for every mil. I could get if the sprocket caused a crash that hurt my 12 year old Daughter that I was giving a ride to at the time and they STILL answered my E mail!
Update, found the JTR279-33 at bikebandit...should have the GY5 back up and running shortly.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:42 AM   #39

Sprockets on Amazon

I was browsing and found that several sellers have JT Sprockets for sale on Amazon (as of 11/11/2008). You can search by part number or just by "JT Sprockets". The only caveat is that make sure you buy all your sprockets from one seller, and compare shipping, as these are not directly in stock at Amazon, but through their resellers.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:33 PM   #40

hi
The standard chain and sprockets are wearing out very quick so this heavier duty upgrade seams a good idea. Is there a site where these sprokets can be brought from. The jt sprockets website does not sell them and i can not find them anywhere, also posting to the uk would be good.
thanks for the help

Old 12-23-2008, 02:28 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma77
hi
The standard chain and sprockets are wearing out very quick so this heavier duty upgrade seams a good idea. Is there a site where these sprokets can be brought from. The jt sprockets website does not sell them and i can not find them anywhere, also posting to the uk would be good.
thanks for the help
My stock set wore out quickly too. I didn't do the heavier upgrade, I replaced with good quality same sized parts and was fine from there. A lighter chain means the motor to back wheel efficency/HP increases. A heavier chain has to spin more weight. I didn't need a 20 year chain. My good quality chain and new sprockets were on the bike and in perfect working order when the bike sold. I only had to adjust the chain length a couple times.

If you pm Katoranger, he'll give you a guy's phone #. He has helped many with sprocket set ups.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:48 PM   #42

ok i have just ordered a 13t front and 33t rear 520 size... any one done this and know how many link chain they needed? will probably end up working it out when they get fitted....hope your right about this :?

Old 09-06-2021, 01:29 PM   #43

Hi guys, I made a simple "cut to the chase" summary for upgrading to the 520 chain/sprockets.

Front sprocket is JT Sprockets # JTF1324.xx, where the xx is replaced by the sprocket size such as 13. When you click on this Amazon link it will show you the size options and even how many are in stock.
https://www.amazon.com/JT-Sprockets-...0949134&sr=8-1

Rear sprocket: JT Sprockets # JTR279.xx
https://www.amazon.com/JT-Sprockets-...0949272&sr=8-2

Post #17 in this thread will guide you as to gearing ratios. The sprockets seem to be very available. I would recommend the 13 front for clearance reasons, then get the ratio you want with the right rear sprocket size.

I think the 520 chain size you need to order is about 110 links. Feel free to correct this info, if needed.

Old 09-06-2021, 02:09 PM   #44

Wow! Crazy when these old threads get dug up. Trivia--this site was started by 'Frostbite' mainly due to the very popular bike at that time, the Lifan LF200GY-5 (also called the GY-5 at that time). He was a member of a Yahoo! Group called the LF200GY-5 Group (or something along those lines--I had started a group discussing all other brands of Chinese dual-sports called Jetmoto Group). The guy who started his GY-5 group and Frostbite both owned 2 GY-5 bikes if memory serves me. I was active on both groups, even though I owned a Jetmoto 200 enduro. Also, if memory serves me, the GY-5 was one of the first, if not first, Chinese dual-sport that held EPA/DOT certification as a 'On highway motorcycle' vs. the gray market dual-sports which dominated at that time (states were registering and plating them on a state by state basis, exactly the same as the current carbed Hawk 250 nowadays) Well, Frostbite said he would start a group called 'Chinariders' and here we are, 14 years later!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 09-06-2021, 02:42 PM   #45

This thread is a sticky, but is pretty well buried. It was also kinda tedious reading through it all and looking up the specific Honda models on JT Sprockets. I felt it needed a minimalistic summary post; and to revive it in case a lot of people were not aware of this info.