Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2010, 12:50 AM   #31

Black and white televisions.

Televisions that only went to 13.

Bouncing around in the back of a station wagon.

Fireflies (the insect, not the car). Haven't seen one in thirty years; has anyone else?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-25-2010, 01:34 AM   #32

Thumb tacks on the teachers chair, running around with no fear of being kidnapped, climbing a fricken tree, writing a letter to a friend, waiting all week long to watch a show you loved, recording songs off the radio..or only getting to hear them on the radio, building a fort............Sigh. And I'm only 34, how quickly things have gone to pot in such a short time.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:52 AM   #33

I think what hasn't been covered in three pages off posts, and what I deem rather important is this sad fact:

Mom's aren't allowed to be just Moms in our society anymore. Mom's have to go to work or ends don't get met in the household. My point being that now we have strangers raising our kids in baby mills (daycare) instead of getting love and care at home like probably most of us had. (Sure not all) Then as they get older, our kids are influenced more by their peer groups than their parents.

We've been battling to keep my wife home so we could raise our kids with OUR values and not those of someone else, but damn it's a struggle, and I understand how many just can't do it.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:09 AM   #34

True point Turbo, But back in the past the Day care was the kids You hung out with until dinner time. Or got into mischief with Nowadays that is considered neglect.......or wise....Lot of nuts out these days.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:44 AM   #35

Wow. Yeah. I don't miss my old TV with 13 channels, nor my UHF TV with ~50 channels. Nor the HUGE 23" television which weighed a ton and took up half of the floor.

I do, however, miss my first computer (~1986) (I was spoiled.) An old 8088 with a monochrome monitor, dual 5 1/4" floppy drives (actually floppy floppies) less than 5Mhz processing power and a math co-processor, and a whopping 64Kilobits of RAM. I was very young, and my dad had upgraded.

I miss metal slides, concrete and rock play areas for children, and the fact that you could spank a child without worry of CPS being called.
I miss kids being kids without fear of legal ramifications, and the courts requiring a reason to file a civil suit.

I miss the old Pepsi logo/can design, and glass bottles. (Pepsi Throwback reminds me of it, which is nice... but it still isn't the same.)
I miss old Taco Bell. It just isn't the same anymore.
I miss not having high fructose corn syrup in EVERYTHING.

Like many others, I miss when people had to work for a living. Before kids were handed everything, and they had parents who spent time with them and were ENCOURAGED to discipline them, instead of spoil them. It has led to the downfall of our morals and our society as a whole. You still get the occasional respectful young adult and/or adolescent, but it is rare.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:02 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by acydrx

I miss metal slides, concrete and rock play areas for children, and the fact that you could spank a child without worry of CPS being called.

I miss old Taco Bell. It just isn't the same anymore.

Like many others, I miss when people had to work for a living. Before kids were handed everything, and they had parents who spent time with them and were ENCOURAGED to discipline them, instead of spoil them. It has led to the downfall of our morals and our society as a whole. You still get the occasional respectful young adult and/or adolescent, but it is rare.
amen

old taco bell ROCKED !!!! as kids we would go to the dollar theater and sneak in tacobell in my moms purse..

when i was a kid if i went to go look at toys in the store and my mom had to have me paged, i would get swatted right on the butt in front of every one and other parents would clap..

now days you swat ur kid and get some long haired tree hugging hippy woman (its always another woman) who thinks kids are just kids and grow out of being little monster.. who decides its her right to stick her nose where it does not belong, and confronts you or calls the cops..

we had woman when i was 10 in walmart do that after i got spanked for knocking something glass down and my mom had to pay for it.. i was running around the store after being told not to several times.. neways my mom spanked me 3 times and put me in the cart.. this woman came up and said you shouldnt do that, im going to call the cops.. my mom turned to her and said "oh ya call them, cuz your going to need them to pull me off you after i break your nose for sticking it where it does not belong, and then break your jaw for telling me how to raise my kid" then she walked off and a few hours later cps was at our door and my mom slammed it in their face..

Old 08-25-2010, 07:57 AM   #37

I hear you man.

My wife stays home and its worth the sacrifice. She's happier, the kids are happier, and to be honest the 'stuff' we're giving up isn't that important anyway. Truth is, I think most working moms would rather stay home and raise the kids but unless Dad earns enough to meet a basic standard it is difficult.

Of course our expected standard of living has increased _a_lot_ in the last 20-30 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT

Mom's aren't allowed to be just Moms in our society anymore. Mom's have to go to work or ends don't get met in the household. My point being that now we have strangers raising our kids in baby mills (daycare) instead of getting love and care at home like probably most of us had. (Sure not all) Then as they get older, our kids are influenced more by their peer groups than their parents.

We've been battling to keep my wife home so we could raise our kids with OUR values and not those of someone else, but damn it's a struggle, and I understand how many just can't do it.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 08-25-2010, 08:41 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind

Fireflies (the insect, not the car). Haven't seen one in thirty years; has anyone else?
I've had them in my backyard for the last two years, but i too haven't seen them for quite awile before that.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:53 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynev
Quote:

I've had them in my backyard for the last two years, but i too haven't seen them for quite awile before that.
I too have just started seeing them again this year. Not many, but a few at least. When i was a kid 40+ years ago, there were enough of them that in a few minutes time you could have a jar with 8-10 of them in it.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:32 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal25
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynev
Quote:

I too have just started seeing them again this year. Not many, but a few at least. When i was a kid 40+ years ago, there were enough of them that in a few minutes time you could have a jar with 8-10 of them in it.
I'm glad to hear that. I was beginning to think I had imagined catching them in an old Mason jar.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-25-2010, 11:20 AM   #41

How about leaving high school with enough practical skills to deal with most of the crap you will encounter in everyday life?

Fireflies........see them here all the time (in summer), those things that might look like fireflies in the winter are either snowmobiles, or UFOs.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:43 PM   #42

Never seen a firefly in real life, Arizona must not be right for em.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:48 PM   #43

I miss fireflies too. We had them in NJ growing up.

I miss mopeds. The real ones, not the scooters people call mopeds now. Bikes like Puch, Motobecane, Sachs and the like.

A 15 year old kid feels a lot of freedom at 30 MPH when he (or she's) in control for the first time.

Bill

Old 08-25-2010, 07:17 PM   #44

>Dial phones
>Operator assisted long distance calls

mid 70's we still had phones without a dial,
picked up the phone, operator asked what number or who you wanted and you were connected.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:57 PM   #45

I'm curious what the age range is with us. Maybe someone can do a poll and a stickie. I'm 46 years young.