Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2008, 07:52 AM   #31

Price has dropped below what ethanol can be produced for now.
Now ethanol can be made from more than just corn. Ethanol in Brazil is made from sugarcane and there is the celloloid ethanol movement in the works. The technology for that hasn't been finalized yet, but it will allow ethanol to be extracted from wood chips, grass clippings, etc.

Allen

Old 12-11-2008, 12:50 PM   #32

Send a message via Yahoo to DDG1976
I saw on discovery channel the other day where they make it out of a grass that is very common and easy to grow. Sounds good, but I don't like what it does to fuel.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:31 PM   #33

We have a proposed cellulose refinery here. It started about the time Weyerhauser shut down the sawmills here. Pretty much killed it.
The Gov't was pandering to the first nations and dumped a bunch of money into the "joint" venture. What a waste...they granted money to a taxpayer funded project, :roll: that non taxpayers would run and retain the largest benefit... What a friggen waste...Now they are going to try and run it on straw...
'08 Yongjiang 150cc atv (Jinlong)

Old 12-11-2008, 02:20 PM   #34

These old things are alittle particular with today's gas.

1966 Cub 122. 4 year old Lily.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:11 AM   #35

Kato, those old kosher engines will run on anything . . .

Luke, 11: 21

Old 12-12-2008, 10:37 AM   #36

They don't run very well on stale gas and you have to turn them to the rich side for the ethanol blended stuff so that they don't burn a piston up.

I also mix a couple capfuls of MMO in the gas. It helps keep the valves clean and the exhaust valve from sticking. The engine in cub had a stuck valve. I filled it fuel of of MMO through the sparkplug hole and let it set for a day. Came back and I had compression. The MMO cleans things out too. It currently smokes alittle, but I have only run it for about 30 minutes since getting it going after a 15 year neglection.

I really think the ethanol blends are not the great for older engines unless they have been tuned to run on it.

Allen

Old 12-13-2008, 02:20 PM   #37

Well I found out why Alaska's gas prices are staying so high.

1) Alaska does not have a price gouging law. Sellers of all goods and services (including gasoline) are not required to sell products on a “cost plus” basis. Thus, it does not matter what it costs the seller to acquire the goods or provide a service. Sellers can sell their products for whatever the market will bear. There is no “cap” on the amount of profit any business can make.
(Remnants of how business was done in the gold rush days, I'm sure)

2) No competition with only 2 refineries supplying fuel!!!!!

Alaska oil story

We are screwed

Old 12-13-2008, 03:07 PM   #38

How close to "balancing out" the high cost of gasoline does the amount paid to citizens of Alaska come ?

For instance, in the L-48, say a person used 200 gallons per year @ $2.00 per gallon for a total of $400 for gasoline, but if the cost in Alaska was, say, $6 per gallon, he would have to pay $1,200 -- now,l how much of this could be covered by his "Oil income" from the state?

Old 12-13-2008, 04:10 PM   #39

winwun,
I see where your coming from with your question.
But at the pump is not the only place Alaskans pay the high cost of fuel our shipping, ferry travel, heat. Even electricity is effected by our fuel price with many rural villages using diesel gen sets for power.
On shipping my bikes I was charged over $100 fuel surcharge, the Ferry from my island (Prince of Wales) to Ketchikan (less than 60 miles) is $37 one way for a walk on, this year the fuel surcharge had the total over $60 each way.
The high price of fuel is harming our mining and logging companies and commercial fishermen who have compete in the lower 48 for marketing their goods.
Not to mention how gas prices affect those that hunt and fish subsistence, having gas makes the difference of having food to many people here in AK.
Bottom line that $1200 one time fuel assistance check did not offset the high cost of fuel.
As for the AK PFD with crude prices down and the way investments fell its hard to say what we might get, but the high gas prices are a sure bet.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:03 AM   #40

I guess Alaska is just an expensive place to live, apparently . . .

I see on TV where there are oil well fires, so crude will burn, so why would it not be possible to heat with crude, which your state seems to have in abundance ?

I can see where stuff shipped in from the L-48 would have a significant surcharge for fuel, but one would think that what you have plenty of would be less expensive, unless it is priced high to offset the cost of non-domestic goods 'n services -- I dunno -- I'm no economist, especially not an Alaskan economist, which seems to be a special breed . . .

Most of us down here see living in Alaska as something special and desireable, but like most such things, there is a pretty price tag attached.

A lot of us are sort of ho-hum abut living pretty good on 20-25K per year, and while there are no yachts and chalets, there is a certain comfort in plain vanilla living -- I guess it all boils down to appreciating what you have, instead of striving for more to appreciate . . .