Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2016, 10:59 AM   #31

Ok I'm confused about the Yellow and Black wires, you said they are employed by the high beam trigger on the front of the switch, this is correct because when I opened the switch I seen them there hooked in at the trigger area. Where do I connect these wires, do I connect it to the Ignition Black wire or Red wire?

The rest of the wires I pretty sure I know where they go,

The Blue/White wire is attached to the Ignition black wire, I will hook the grey wire to that too.

Ofcourse the Light Blue and Orange wires are either for right or left blinkers.

Light Green and Dark Green is Horn hookup.

I got the Dark Wire connected to the Highbeam, and the Wire Wire is connected to the Low Beam. .

Just confused om where to hook that Yellow and Black Wire too. Anyhelp please

Old 03-18-2016, 12:28 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
Some of those switches come with printed instructions. You job would be much easier if you had instructions.

I can guess some of the connections, and we can determine all the connections by testing. However, you are going to need a digital multimeter. You will need to verify all the connections before you can install the switch. If you don't own one, you can purchase an inexpensive, but effective, digital multimeter at Harbor Freight. You can't do much electrical work on a motorcycle without a digital multimeter.

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-funct...ter-98025.html
As I said in post #9, you absolutely need to get a multimeter to test these connections. If you don't do so, I can't help you. You absolutely need to verify the switch connections.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-18-2016, 12:37 PM   #33

Quote:
As I said in post #9, you absolutely need to get a multimeter to test these connections. If you don't do so, I can't help you. You absolutely need to verify the switch connections.
I have a Multimeter already, how am I suspose to know test the black and yellow wires, and find out where they should be connected too...

Ill search on the net see if I can find anything about this switch and where to connect the wires too..

Old 03-18-2016, 12:42 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggy View Post
Ok so I went to my local bike shop and explained a few things to him, I told him what you said etc, he had a suggestion about my other switch, if I leave my other switch intacked and he told me to wire the High and Low beam wires together on the switch that has a SHUT OFF, this will make me allow me to shut off the lights when the right switch. Right now I did

Blue/White Wire
Dark Blue
White

I'm not to sure where to hook in with the Grey
Also where do I hook in with the Light Blue, organge, and also the Yellow and Black Wire, where do I tap into those?

Thanks SPud, I'm almost done.
I DID A TEST, and when I turn the Ignition on and then turn my light on my lights work and tail light work, when I leave them on and turn the ignition off they go off.. so it works..

Please tell me how the wires are connected to your light switch on the right handlebar. Did you connect this old switch to your new switch?

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-18-2016, 12:46 PM   #35

Quote:
Ok I'm confused about the Yellow and Black wires, you said they are employed by the high beam trigger on the front of the switch, this is correct because when I opened the switch I seen them there hooked in at the trigger area. Where do I connect these wires, do I connect it to the Ignition Black wire or Red wire?

The rest of the wires I pretty sure I know where they go,

The Blue/White wire is attached to the Ignition black wire, I will hook the grey wire to that too.

Ofcourse the Light Blue and Orange wires are either for right or left blinkers.

Light Green and Dark Green is Horn hookup.

I got the Dark Wire connected to the Highbeam, and the Wire Wire is connected to the Low Beam. .

Just confused om where to hook that Yellow and Black Wire too. Anyhelp please
Don't worry about the black and yellow wires. Leave the passing switch unconnected; you have enough problems already.

You are wrong about the blue/white wire, and the grey wire. We need to start testing with you multimeter right now. Are you ready?

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-18-2016, 12:49 PM   #36

Quote:
I have a Multimeter already, how am I suspose to know test the black and yellow wires, and find out where they should be connected too...

Ill search on the net see if I can find anything about this switch and where to connect the wires too..
Forget about the yellow and black wires. We need to start right now to verify the connections. Set your digital multimeter for a continuity test. We will verify the function of all of the wires before you make any connections.

If you want to use your right handlebar switch, I need to know where all the wires of that switch connect.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-18-2016, 12:57 PM   #37

You are close to success. If you follow my directions for testing the wire colors, we will know for certain if our ideas regarding the colors are correct. If you tell me how your switch on the right handlebar is connected, we can also make it work the way your desire.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-18-2016, 01:35 PM   #38

Quote:
Forget about the yellow and black wires. We need to start right now to verify the connections. Set your digital multimeter for a continuity test. We will verify the function of all of the wires before you make any connections.

If you want to use your right handlebar switch, I need to know where all the wires of that switch connect.

I want to use the right switch to have access to shut off the Front Headlight if I wanted too. The right switch that Only operates the Front light is connected to the ignition switch. It has its own Wiring harness already connected to the Battery and the low/high beam wires are all there aswell.

Old 03-18-2016, 01:41 PM   #39

Quote:
You are close to success. If you follow my directions for testing the wire colors, we will know for certain if our ideas regarding the colors are correct. If you tell me how your switch on the right handlebar is connected, we can also make it work the way your desire.

What I am doing now is... I have the bike already setup with battery in. I have tested the Right Switch right now to see if it works when turning on the ignition. It does, all what I did was take the Red Wire that was connected to the battery, and disconnected it and re-wired it all the way to the front of the bikes Ignition Wire, I tried the Red Wire first, and that didn't work. It was the same as if it was connected to the battery, then I tried the black on the ignition switch, and this worked. What I also did and haven't tested it yet.

I took the low beam wire and the high beam wire that the Right Switch operates and Spliced them together.

I also took the Left Switch and connected the High Beam and Low Beam wires to the Correct wires that the Left switch operated the High and Low beams, so they should be working aswell. I'm hoping that when I turn on the Low Beams with the New "Left" switch and then go over to the Right switch and turn it off, the lights will stop..

Old 03-18-2016, 02:53 PM   #40

Quote:
What I am doing now is... I have the bike already setup with battery in. I have tested the Right Switch right now to see if it works when turning on the ignition. It does, all what I did was take the Red Wire that was connected to the battery, and disconnected it and re-wired it all the way to the front of the bikes Ignition Wire, I tried the Red Wire first, and that didn't work. It was the same as if it was connected to the battery, then I tried the black on the ignition switch, and this worked. What I also did and haven't tested it yet.

I took the low beam wire and the high beam wire that the Right Switch operates and Spliced them together.

I also took the Left Switch and connected the High Beam and Low Beam wires to the Correct wires that the Left switch operated the High and Low beams, so they should be working aswell. I'm hoping that when I turn on the Low Beams with the New "Left" switch and then go over to the Right switch and turn it off, the lights will stop..
I'm sorry to say that wiring will not work properly. First of all, the headlight draws too much power; it is not safe to run the headlight directly from the ignition switch. Do you know which wire in the bike's wiring harness was originally used to power the headlight?

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-18-2016, 02:54 PM   #41

What multimeter did you purchase? Does it have a continuity tester?

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-18-2016, 04:52 PM   #42

I haven't used the Meter yet, but I have all the wires JUST connected to see if it works right now. The only wires I don't have connected are the Yellow and Black wires from the switch.. Not to sure yet on what they do or if I really need them but they do go to the Trigger for the High beam area..

Wish me luck ill post and let you know how it goes

Old 03-18-2016, 07:53 PM   #43

Ok finall results are!!!!

Okay, hooked all the wires up except for Black and Yellow from the "New Switch"

Right now the bike has this installed.

1 Headlight
2 Rear Tail Light
3 Left and Right Blinkers
4 Horn
5 Right Old Light Switch (mods are High,Low,Off, Kill switch)

- the onlything that is working right now is the high and low and the off doesn't work and the kill switch is Not Installed

6 Left New Switch, Horn, High and Low beams, Blinkers, and Trigger Botton, no idea what the trigger button is but I believe the wires that are under them would be the Black and Yellow wires.

The Bikes Blinkers work but not blinking,
The Rear tail light works only if the Old Light Switch is plugged in, something to do with the blue wire I think.
The Horn doesn't work

Last edited by Diggy; 03-18-2016 at 09:15 PM.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:16 PM   #44

Quote:
What multimeter did you purchase? Does it have a continuity tester?
I did not buy it, ive always had it.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:38 PM   #45

Final steps!

So right now, My Horn is not working. The two green wires that came out of the New Switch were Light Green and Green. I connected the green wire to the male connector on the horn and the other light green wire to the other male connector. The green wire I connected that to the Ground Wires to the front of the bike.

So, when I turned on the Ignition to try everything out, I tried the horn and nothing happened. Its either the wires are in the wrong spots, or the horn is not getting power, or maybe the engine has to be on for the horn to work?

The blinkers are working, they light up and each side is correct, the only thing is that the blinkers DO NOT blink. How do I fix this, would this be either the Yellow or Black Wire that is not connected to anything?

The rear tail light, this is working when I turn the ignition switch on and only if my OLDER Right Light Switch is plugged in, if you need to know exactly what colors the OLDER LIGHT SWITCH is hooked up too let me know and ill tell you colors. If I unplug the OLD LIGHT switch, since I was trying to set it up for only using the OFF BUTTON to turn the Headlight off. When unplugged the Rear Taillight will go out. hmmm weird. Anyideas and how do I set it up either to have it run High Low, and OFF to over take my LEFT SWITCH Lights etc. Or how do I remove my OLDER LIGHT SWITCH but making sure my rear taillight will still work.

Trigger Finger that has the BLACK and YELLOW wires hooked to it, no idea what it really does, someone said it will flash HIGH BEAMS, but whats so great about this since I will be using HIGH BEAMS all the time if I'm driving on the Road.

My Low/High beam work great, no problems there, I kinda did find a shut off button for this, not to sure if its going to really work, but what I do is, I move the Button slow between the LOW/HIGH area right in the middle and the lights shut off. So that's great, maybe when I'm driving it will pop up or down to turn on, but it does work.

This is all the info I know for now, and I need some help for the next tests. So I can complete this setup.

Thanks a lot!