Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2015, 06:10 PM   #31

Thanks! Yeah a flat rack could mount there nicely. Haha, who am I kidding... a milk crate!

I haven't been able to find anywhere... is the 229cc engine used the Hawk 250 a counter-balanced engine?

Cheers!

Old 04-03-2015, 11:25 AM   #32

You could mount a JC Whitney travel trunk on there without too much effort.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-06-2015, 09:30 AM   #33

Can anyone identify the engine type on these bikes, the pictures don't appear to be hondoid / cg clone. The side case appears to have an oil filter cap w/ three access bolts like the yamaha / zong motor, but rather than at the top of the case, the Hawk has this low and to the front. Some additional pics of the engine / bike would be appreciated.
Pic linked below. (the motor pics are #7 and #11 in the thumbnail pics)

http://www.killermotorsports.com/RPS...k.htm?CartID=1

Thanks
wilser

Old 04-06-2015, 11:56 AM   #34

My guess is that's just a fake cover. The clutch is in the right spot for a Hondoid, and the left side of the engine is definitely a CG.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-07-2015, 11:25 AM   #35

Last night tried to remove the air filter box to install a pod type filter. Wow that air filter box is part of several components, fender, mounts for relays, etc. I don't want to cut it up, as I would like to keep it in tact, just in case I want to go back to stock.. I have room to just push the intake snorkel aside, and install the pod filter to see how it runs, whether it will need to be re-jetted etc. Worst case scenario, I can remove the the intake snorkel and leave the rest of the air box intact. Any thoughts as to if the performance increase would be significant enough to bother with this mod?

Old 04-07-2015, 01:31 PM   #36

As with most engines... freeing up the intake and exhaust... along with proper carb jetting will net a small power increase. Significant? Hard to say... but usually noticeable. I suspect the same would be true in your case.

Don't forget about fueling (jetting, A/F mixtures). Sounds like these engines tend to be lean already from the factory... so freeing up intake or exhaust without adding more fuel would only make that worse.

Cheers!

Old 04-07-2015, 03:15 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcuda View Post
As with most engines... freeing up the intake and exhaust... along with proper carb jetting will net a small power increase. Significant? Hard to say... but usually noticeable. I suspect the same would be true in your case.

Don't forget about fueling (jetting, A/F mixtures). Sounds like these engines tend to be lean already from the factory... so freeing up intake or exhaust without adding more fuel would only make that worse.

Cheers!
Oh yes, I would make sure we have enough fuel with proper jetting. I do operate almost exclusively from 5000-8000 ft above sea level anybody have suggestions on jet size for this altitude?

Old 04-07-2015, 03:51 PM   #38

At those elevations, you *might* not need any additional fueling (jets) to go along with your intake/exhaust mods. Airs pretty thin up there.

Cheers!

Old 04-07-2015, 11:55 PM   #39

The only reason I've changed to a pod filter on all of my China bikes and quads is to move to a better quality filter. The stockers have all been junk on my machines. Spud's Zong had a better quality filter from the factory.

Old 04-16-2015, 04:00 PM   #40

Got my second MCO on 04/14/2015 the first one came in about 7 days (03/31/2015). So I went into the Local DMV to get both bikes registered. All that was required here in Utah was a VIN inspection from a police officer or state safety inspector. (making sure MCO matched the VIN on the bikes.) With that done it took about 10 minutes and I had the plates in hand. pretty painless. I hope everyone else has this type of experience. When the weather warms back up, (we got 3" of snow today), I can get some more riding done and post a full report,

Old 04-17-2015, 01:04 AM   #41

I wish it was that easy where I live. If the bike isn't on "the list", it's not likely to get a plate.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:03 PM   #42

midlifemx5,

Can you please give me the first 3 letters of the vin, or the manufactures code. I think that will help me determine if I can register one of these bikes in New Jersey. New Jersey has a list of approved manufacturers http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/Vehic...ufacturers.pdf
and if your not on the list, forget about it!

Thank you

Old 04-21-2015, 10:10 PM   #43

Some of these bikes should be on 'the list' because I have seen them as being certified in 49 states on the EPA/DOT on-road motorcycle certified list. It is a shame that some of the states cannot seem to find some bikes, because they are certified for either 49 or 50 states with California having the extra CARB certification (the '1' state).

I think if anyone ever gets hassled by any state for a '49 state DOT certified' bike they should simply print out the EPA pdf showing the certification and take it down to their local dept. of motor vehicles division.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 04-21-2015, 11:53 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserchinarider View Post
midlifemx5,

Can you please give me the first 3 letters of the vin, or the manufactures code. I think that will help me determine if I can register one of these bikes in New Jersey. New Jersey has a list of approved manufacturers http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/Vehic...ufacturers.pdf
and if your not on the list, forget about it!

Thank you
the first 3 Letters are L0W Chongqing Haosen manufacturing is the manufacturer I did not see it on your list but as stated, it is listed as 49 state DOT and emission certified,

Old 05-08-2015, 10:29 PM   #45

I have put a few more miles on my bike. Had a little spill off road so it's got an imperfection... So I don't have to worry about that any more. I am going to install a 45 tooth sprocket as soon as I find the time. The gearing is a bit too low for how we are using the bikes. Anyone know if or how much I would have to shorten the chain? (Going from a 52 to a 45 tooth sprocket) Also I have developed an oil leak that I have narrowed to the shift shaft seal. Any suggestions on where I should look to get a new one? Does anyone know if a Honda / Yamaha one would work? Part #or application would be a big help. Thanks in advance!