Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2015, 07:22 AM   #3031

Got mine yesterday!

Mine, and a buddy of mine, had 2 shipped to my place of business, and they arrived yesterday!....we both ordered Orange, without knowing what the other ordered

Got both of them to "Roller Status" so we could load them onto my trailer and haul them home....will finish putting them together tonight after work:cool:

(I know everyone likes pics)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Delivered4-21-15.jpg (94.5 KB, 247 views)
File Type: jpg 4-21-15.jpg (95.9 KB, 237 views)
2016 AJP PR4
2022 Templar X 250
2021 Sondors Metacycle
AMA Life Member

Old 04-22-2015, 10:11 AM   #3032

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
I spent the better part of Tuesday assembling my Zongshen RX3, registering the bike at the DMV, getting a license plate, and buying insurance. I finally went for a forty-mile ride on pavement, and the bike performed very well.

The U.S. Delphi EFI system performed smoothly, without any flaws. The 6-speed transmission is very smooth, and trouble-free. The bike has a nice clutch, and the 14T/44T sprocket combination is ideally geared for the pavement. The Siemens digital display and analog tachometer are excellent; I really like the gear indicator. The exhaust is quiet, but it has a nice throaty sound. Both brakes performed well, as did the suspension. I road a bit on the interstate highway, and the windshield did a very good job isolating me from the wind. It was a short ride, but I found the seat comfortable. I also like the upright riding position. The bike feels light and is easy to control during low speed maneuvers. The NC250/ZS177MM engine makes good power for a 250cc engine. The LED turn signals and tail light are very nice. The switchgear is also very nice. The Zongshen RX3 is a lot of fun to ride.

I like the saddle, but I dislike the seat cover; it is not very durable. I am going to cover the saddle with some stronger fabric. The headlight casts a nice pattern, but the 35W/35 bulb is too dim. I plan to install a 55W/60 bulb tomorrow, but I have already ordered the upgraded LED headlight.

I didn't take any photographs today. However, I am going to test the stock tires and suspension with some off road riding tomorrow, and I will take some photos at that time.
Very good report, Spud. My bike is still grounded for a paperwork issue. While checking it over. I found the switch for the hi/lo beams to be on the cheesy side. That's really the only nit I have to pick. I have all the panels off the bike right now. I'm impressed with the inside of the bike. I'm going to look at the air filter today, see how that comes out. Can't wait to get plates and take it out.

I'm also interested in the LED light upgrade. Please tell us more about it.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:37 AM   #3033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck369 View Post
Mine, and a buddy of mine, had 2 shipped to my place of business, and they arrived yesterday!....we both ordered Orange, without knowing what the other ordered

Got both of them to "Roller Status" so we could load them onto my trailer and haul them home....will finish putting them together tonight after work:cool:

(I know everyone likes pics)
Huck, is it just the picture or my eyes, because that bike looks VERY yellow?
I've pre-paid for two bikes, (one blue and one white), and I was thinking of changing my mind on the white one and getting Orange.....but that picture looks more yellow than I what like, (still a GREAT looking bike-don't get me wrong). I just like a deeper Orange.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:38 AM   #3034

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldqwerty View Post
There will be a stamping, usually on the spark arrestor, that says "USFS Approved" or something like that. That's what the authorities look for.
The factory mufflers don't always have that stamping, like the Honda CRF250X muffler I'm using. As long as it's a factory muffler and it passes the coat hanger test, I'm told that most Rangers will be happy.

If you install an aftermarket muffler, that's where they insist upon a USFS stamp. I made sure the DG muffler I bought for my TW has such a stamp.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-22-2015, 11:50 AM   #3035

Great looking bike, Huck. I'm pleased to see that stainless header.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-22-2015, 11:51 AM   #3036

Excellent question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRider View Post
I've had my RX-3 for a couple of days now and have completed its first oil change. I was planning a local off-road trip and it occurred to me that I had not seen anything about the exhaust having a spark arrestor. Can anyone shed some light on whether this bike is legal for off-road?
That's an excellent question because for me, most of my riding will be on USFS back-roads. I saw the other response about approved cans have "USFS approved" stamped on them and I've seen that myself, but I also know my BMW F650GS doesn't have that stamped on either can too and I suspect none of the other BMW's that ride the millions of miles of adventure trails don't either, (I could be wrong on that though).

Now that you've brought it up, I'm going to be paranoid. It's not like "back-in-the-day" when people rode 2 stroke dirt bikes with crappy stock or home-made exhausts and sparks flying out the POS pipe they had on and "possibly" starting forest fires, but there are regulations on the books now and I don't want to end up paying a multi-thousand dollar fine because Ranger Rick is over-enthusiastic either. I know the bike isn't going to burn down the west coast, but anti-biker, anti-motor- tree huggers, (of which there are aplenty around here), will look for any reason to get our fire-roads shut down from ALL motor vehicles. Dag.....I guess I better figure this out.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:51 AM   #3037

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
I didn't take any photographs today.
I'm not even a little bit surprised. I would have been way too excited to bother with the camera.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:53 AM   #3038

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
The factory mufflers don't always have that stamping, like the Honda CRF250X muffler I'm using. As long as it's a factory muffler and it passes the coat hanger test, I'm told that most Rangers will be happy.

If you install an aftermarket muffler, that's where they insist upon a USFS stamp. I made sure the DG muffler I bought for my TW has such a stamp.
I just read your response to the "USFS" question. I was typing my tirade at the same time. I hope you're right. What you said DOES make sense.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:47 PM   #3039

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veteran View Post
I've pre-paid for two bikes, (one blue and one white), and I was thinking of changing my mind on the white one and getting Orange.....but that picture looks more yellow than I what like, (still a GREAT looking bike-don't get me wrong). I just like a deeper Orange.
Don't worry; the bike is orange. The camera is playing with the color in that photograph.

My RX3 is a much lighter orange than my Zongshen ZS200GY-2, but it is orange, and it looks great. My ZS200GY-2 is KTM Orange, which is color code RAL2008. RAL2008 looks a lot like Shimrin PCB32 (Pearl Tangelo).

My RX3 is Shimrin PCB31 (Pearl Sunset).

http://www.houseofkolor.com/speedsha...es_shimrin.jsp

I am heading out the door to ride. I will post photos of the RX3 in natural sunlight, in it's native habitat, after I return.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-22-2015, 01:23 PM   #3040

Quote:
It is like Spud said above, it is Orange, the picture is just poor color quality....
It is a lighter Orange, but much more Orange than the pictures shows....
2016 AJP PR4
2022 Templar X 250
2021 Sondors Metacycle
AMA Life Member

Old 04-22-2015, 01:32 PM   #3041

Glad to see more bikes arriving - and can't wait to hear more impressions.

Anyone who has received your bikes already put on hand guards of the wrap around variety? I'm paranoid about dropping the bike and munging up a lever and CSC says they only have the Moose Racing Flex handguards.

@spudrider am also interested in hearing about this LED light upgrade.

Folks who have the spotlights, just out of curiousity, what was the reasoning for getting them (I'm still contemplating having them added)

Old 04-22-2015, 02:28 PM   #3042

Coat hanger test?

LED headlight option?

35/35 headlight bulb? Is it HID? 35/35 incandescents went out in the late '70s. If that's the case, no biggie. I have a couple 7-inch round dune buggy lights with legal H4 halogens (Silver Star Ultras) composite lamps that would make dandy "auxiliary" lights, and the Cyclone has plenty of wattage to support them. I suppose a relay power supply would be appropriate. Might toss the HID conversion left over from another project in the headlights just to bar-B-que all the road kill around here.

Quote:
What you said DOES make sense.
Which is exactly why the government will not allow such an action.

My cousin is a USFS forestry dude. He told me no "USFS Approved" stamp, not legal. He did allow that safe, quiet operation on trails open to motorcycles with respectful riders and nobody would even look. Excessive speed, noise, bushwhacking, etc., and the tickets will flow.

Old 04-22-2015, 02:40 PM   #3043

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlandsprite View Post
Glad to see more bikes arriving - and can't wait to hear more impressions.

Anyone who has received your bikes already put on hand guards of the wrap around variety? I'm paranoid about dropping the bike and munging up a lever and CSC says they only have the Moose Racing Flex handguards.

@spudrider am also interested in hearing about this LED light upgrade.

Folks who have the spotlights, just out of curiousity, what was the reasoning for getting them (I'm still contemplating having them added)

I have a set of wrap around hand guards to install on mine, if I get around to it tonight, I'll post pics of them...but I'll be out of town after tonight until Monday, so it may be next week before I get to mount them.....I may at least test fit one to see if it looks like it will work tonight...
2016 AJP PR4
2022 Templar X 250
2021 Sondors Metacycle
AMA Life Member

Old 04-22-2015, 03:14 PM   #3044

Maybe we can do a group buy on the LED headlight conversion and save some $$$$. Yup, I'm a cheapskate.

Hmmmmm? A pair of Trucklite LED headlights will fit in those buggy pods.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:08 PM   #3045

LED Headlight conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldqwerty View Post
Maybe we can do a group buy on the LED headlight conversion and save some $$$$. Yup, I'm a cheapskate.

Hmmmmm? A pair of Trucklite LED headlights will fit in those buggy pods.
I'd be in for a group buy of the LED HL conversion if someone was doing one. I'd do it myself, but I'm "elsewhere" for the next couple of months.