Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2010, 06:59 AM   #16

Been curious about this one, anxious to hear your experience with it as you go.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:07 PM   #17

Broken/torn gasket

Finished production at 4:30 today and we decided to run the T3 behind the shop again. Since it ran pretty well at the farm on the weekend, I thought all should be good.
It fired up and I did a little circuit, then it got quite rough and you hear a air leak kind of sound.
Seemed to get hot as well. Did some checking and found the carb to engine gasket was blown out. Seems the two nuts didn't get tightened down enough and the gasket crapped out. Now, it was blown outwards, but I thought the engine should have sucked it inwards. Could it be that the gasket was broken during assembly?
Take a look...

Riding a blue plated HSUN 200GY (Otherwise know as a ULIKE 200GY, SUNL 200GY or a VIVA SX200S), a 2010 Gio Mini Hummer 110cc ATV, 2010 Gio T3 Rebel ATV, and a 2002 Kawasaki KLR650, 70cc Katera dirtbike, and a 49cc GIO dirtbike...so far!

Old 04-20-2010, 11:20 PM   #18

I don't know why it failed but I'd just carve a new one out of gasket material.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:56 AM   #19

This differs from our 200cc Beasts as we have a rubber o-ring there instead of a gasket. Your symptoms are strange too since I'd expect you'd have an unsteady idle because of it. (racing)

The way it's blown out I think you had a bum one from the factory. As FastDoc mentioned you can make a new one as suggested. I'm not sure about aftermarket options as this may or may not match up with an older Honda XR 200 motor.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:31 AM   #20

Thanks on that.
It wasn't able to idle after it fully let go.
I will get a new gasket on today and change the plug while I'm at it and see the difference.
Riding a blue plated HSUN 200GY (Otherwise know as a ULIKE 200GY, SUNL 200GY or a VIVA SX200S), a 2010 Gio Mini Hummer 110cc ATV, 2010 Gio T3 Rebel ATV, and a 2002 Kawasaki KLR650, 70cc Katera dirtbike, and a 49cc GIO dirtbike...so far!

Old 04-21-2010, 10:31 AM   #21

I wonder if maybe they modified the gasket to make it easier to install?

Insert the top bolt first then slide the gasket in place? But then that would not explain why it is also torn. The bolts could have loosend on their own.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:30 AM   #22

I suspect that the gasket is new, but the intake tube is the same o-ring version. It wouldn't hurt to remove the intake tube and inspect the gasket face; if it has a groove, it should have an o-ring. The gasket won't have a chance with an o-ring groove behind it.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-21-2010, 11:30 AM   #23

yeah, i'm guessing the bolts loosened and caused the failure, i went over every bolt on my beast when new including those ones.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:01 PM   #24

I replaced the gasket with a carved out version from Crappy Tire. There isn't an O ring on this model, so the new gasket dropped over the studs and then the intake tube went back on.
When I changed the plug it was pretty white, so it was running with too much air (leaking gasket). I also tried for 1/2 an hour to start it after all of this. It just wouldn't go. Tried full choke, fuel/air screw adjustment, idle screw but no go. It turns out they don't run without gas :oops: . How about that!
Stole some from the next unit over (read Chinabike) and it fired right up. Very smooth now, and even quieter.
Test drive tomorrow.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:37 AM   #25

Good news! 8)

BTW, I've had good luck with Permatex High Tack as a gasket adhesive, just make sure to apply it to one surface only, or you'll never be able to remove the intake tube. 8O I'd apply it to the intake tube face and that will secure the gasket, even if the bolts loosen.

Loctite is also your friend.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-22-2010, 12:01 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Good news! 8)

BTW, I've had good luck with Permatex High Tack as a gasket adhesive, just make sure to apply it to one surface only, or you'll never be able to remove the intake tube. 8O I'd apply it to the intake tube face and that will secure the gasket, even if the bolts loosen.

Loctite is also your friend.
The Permatex saved me with the new homemade intake maifold gaskets on my KZ.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:24 PM   #27

A good test drive today showed an estimated 30-40% improvement in power. It still won't wheelie, but that new carb and cdi I just ordered should fix that...I hope.

Sidenote: Sent my buddy out for gas and he brought back regular instead of premium. The T3 has refined taste and does NOT like the regular! Will put some good stuff in tomorrow.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:07 PM   #28

It seems it wasn't the low octane gas that the T3 had trouble with.
The machine will not run anymore. The spark is elusive. On cranking over the engine, I will see 1 spark every 5 or more revolutions.
So what broke now? CDI or Coil? Loose wire?
A new CDI is an the way (Slow boat UPS). Do you guys think I need a coil now as well and can I get something local for that?

Now that I'm typing this, I seem to remember killing the engine by leaning back on the seat once or twice. I will look for that loose or worn wire. Most likely option.

Thanks in advance. (Now back to turkey hunting.....)

Old 04-26-2010, 10:46 PM   #29

where are you riding in ontario

Hey Brainaquishy
I just a new T3 200 as well. So you were able to get out for some fun on it. Any problems with gas coming out of the lock on the gas cap? I changed the plug to the NGK, it made a difference in my machine. Have you changed your plug yet? Have you had to make a chain adjustment?
I see you just posted an electrical problem. I found the wires hanging way to losely around the body, so I tape everything before I started assembling. The connection around the coil is so exposed, I taped that area well.
Where you riding in ontario? I also ride a 650 Tengai.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:47 AM   #30

On all my GIO quads i've unplugged every wiring connection and filled them up with dielectric grease, i'm hoping this will keep some of the gremlins out of there.
So far it has seemed to work on my sons 50cc, everytime i washed it it would not start until the next day, now that is not a problem.