Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2008, 01:25 PM   #16

I've been thinking about different add ons for my bike. To me it looks best stock, but on long rides a bit of comfort would be nice. I've been looking for a cheap aftermarket, small 6-12 inch bug catching wind visor. I haven't seen many except REALLY nice ones like smoked etched glass custom ones for harley's and rich people. What I'm looking for is cheap, plexi, universal or for a cb350k4, quick to put on and take off, and won't scratch my handlebar too much. I'm thinking, just get a cheap one and cut it down.

If anyone has a line on one, can you pm me the link? If you have a used one you want to sell cheap, I'm even more interested. I don't want to spend much on something I'll likely cut and possibly ruin. Thanks folks.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:21 AM   #17

If you live in an area where they use salt and sand on the roads watchout for it accumulated at intersections and in the center of the road.

This gets alot of riders in the early spring after the snow is melting. I have ridden numerous times in MN winters, but only once with snow actually on the road. It was the day I took my riding test.

I almost lost it on a curve on my GPZ550 on some road sand in early April.

It takes a few good rains to wash it off the roads.

Allen

Old 11-03-2008, 10:17 AM   #18

Wet leaves and small twigs are littering my streets, also dangerous. I'm riding with even more care lately.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:06 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronFist
Wet leaves and small twigs are littering my streets, also dangerous. I'm riding with even more care lately.
I hate wet leaves and small twigs even more than snow on the road :twisted: ...Knobbies grip better on snow than on the "trees debris" :!:

Be safe,
Tigertamer

CAUTION
Obey The Traffic Regulation.
Always Wear a Helmet.
Don't Ride After Drinking Wine.
Before Operation, Read The Owners Manual Carefully.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:35 AM   #20

One of the country roads on my commute had a stretch where a sand truck had spilled some of it's load. Had to ride the tire path on the right to get the bare pavement.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:02 PM   #21

Send a message via Yahoo to DDG1976
I'm riding my GY-5 to work tonight, getting my clothing together now. It's 65 outside right now, I leave for work at 4:30 pm est it should be close to 68 by then. I get off work at 4:00 am and it's supposed to be around 40. 15 mile trip one way at speeds around 50 to 55. I get cold easy though. I went ahead and put on the brush covers that came with the bike even though I don't like them.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:42 AM   #22

I wear an electric vest on my KLR650.....I didn't think these little bikes had any reserve wtts to use anything electric????
I wouldn't be riding at all in the colder temps if it wasn't for this vest! I bought it this summer to try and I swear by it now! Excellent purchase and has extended my season by weeks and weeks! For $160...IIRC it's well worth it ...IMHO!
Also if you have barkbusters on your handle bars it helps to keep the cold wind off your hands and also protects the levers.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:58 AM   #23

For me there's a noticeable wind buffering drawback to the brushgaurds though. At about 65 to 70 it feels like somebody intermittenly pushing on one side or other of the bars.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:14 AM   #24

OK...what type of hand guards do you have? You need to have the ones that have the solid alluminium bars that hold theplastic hand guards. If you don't...the guards will flop around and induce a speed type wobble in the worst case sinerio.
I have had all the same issues with my KLR650...that is how i learned all these little gems of info. When you have a bit more power and speed added into the mix...issues like this pop up a bit more quickly.

I plan on getting some for this little bike also...just for the lever protection...you can get good cheap ones at Rockymountain ATV..I think it's called...I bought mine 2 years ago for $14. just for the alluminium bar part.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:40 AM   #25

They're the cheapo's that came with the bike. Sorry about the pictures, I don't have my digital camera here so I took some with my cellphone.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:05 PM   #26

yep...those are the cause of your instability! They will flop all over the place at speeds causing your arms to translate the movement into a speed wobble(tank slapper) I would strongly recommend the solid mounted types. You will be amazed at the difference and they also help with the vibrations in the handle bars!

I have been looking for the real cheap ones and can't seem to find them any more...the cheapest on Ebay are $25 roughly...still worth it IMHO.
Once you have the bars attached you then can trim and attach those floppy ones you have to them so you get both to stop the wind chill if you like.

Works well.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:09 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willys
I wear an electric vest on my KLR650.....I didn't think these little bikes had any reserve wtts to use anything electric????
I wouldn't be riding at all in the colder temps if it wasn't for this vest! I bought it this summer to try and I swear by it now! Excellent purchase and has extended my season by weeks and weeks! For $160...IIRC it's well worth it ...IMHO!
Also if you have barkbusters on your handle bars it helps to keep the cold wind off your hands and also protects the levers.
I got a widder vest and I swear by it. I don't think they draw much power. :wink:

Old 11-07-2008, 05:15 PM   #28

I bought my vest from a place that specializes in dualsport bikes
www.dualsportplus.com
Les is his name and he is in Stoney Creek he has some good deals on equipment etc. just think a guy who specializes in dualsport bikes...we need to keep him in business...IMHO
It's difficult finding someone in Canada to buy from so we don't need to ship across the border and get hosed for duties etc.
Give him a look. He doesn't have any China bike stuff but does do the full line of clothing etc. I use him for that and my KLR650 parts.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:27 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDG1976
They're the cheapo's that came with the bike. Sorry about the pictures, I don't have my digital camera here so I took some with my cellphone.

Those would make good ailerons for an aircraft!

Send them to the "bone yard" :!:

Yankin' and Bankin',
Tigertamer

CAUTION
Obey The Traffic Regulation.
Always Wear a Helmet.
Don't Ride After Drinking Wine.
Before Operation, Read The Owners Manual Carefully.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:53 AM   #30

I hope to ride year round.
Heck, I used to ride the QuadSport to the deer woods when it was below zero and a 10mph wind blowing. And that was for "FUN" :?: :P

Right now, in Nashville, I'm seeing 35-45 degree mornings (live down by the river). More layers with a wind-proof parka on top.
When it gets down to around freezing, I'll add a set of good coveralls for the top.
Rain: Stearns outer wear from your friendly Wal Mart.

I've got the white "drag flaps" on mine also. Only saving grace is that they do keep the wind off the knuckles. I will have to look at some of the "bar-buster" types.
Later,
Gotta go work now......... :P
Bill