Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2022, 09:05 AM   #16

I remember those. I actually had one I picked up used as a curiosity, when I had my 286. Never used it though, after initial poking around.
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 01-01-2023, 09:14 PM   #17

If you have nothing else to do.....

Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.

Old 03-17-2023, 10:49 PM   #18

Went to Wally World the other day to get something, and found that the two-movie Top Gun collection was out in Blu-ray. Got it. I've been wanting to see the sequel for months now. Picked up a large pizza and watched the first movie last night. Pulled the other half of the pizza out of the fridge this evening, fired up the TV, fired up the Blu-ray player, hit Eject.

Nothing happened. Tried several times. Made a noise like it sincerely wanted to, but no joy.

Naturally, my first instinct was to go to the gun locker and pull out something weighing about 2.5 pounds designed by John M. Browning that would fill it with .45" holes. But I knew that by the time I got it out, the mood would pass. Sigh, that would have been fun. So I took the cover off again. All I had to do was press lightly on the center of the thingy on top of the disc area, and the mechanism engaged like it should. Leaving the cover unscrewed for future fixes. Possibly even just pushing down on the cover itself would work, come to think of it.

Two cats watched it with me. No thumbs up from either of them, for obvious reasons. I thought it was great.

Old 03-18-2023, 01:43 AM   #19

ahh the days when a floppy was actually floppy.

Old 03-18-2023, 01:49 PM   #20

Along the lines of this thread I am pretty pissed off.

I have recently found that over half of my DVDs are gone. No scratches. But the metallic reflective layer inside the DVD has vanished!

I have some questions.

First, where can I get all of these again? Online? I am the rightful owner because I already bought them all. Specifically I lost most of my American dad, Simpsons, and family guy. All of these Fox DVDs decayed.

My South Park DVDs are just fine.

Second, how are people storing these types of things digitally and locally these days? Obviously I can’t store them on DVD like I had planned to do. Because the DVDs are decaying by themselves.

I need to get a networked storage unit that I can stream from and connect to via Wi-Fi. And I either need to back that up as well or at least have a RAID type of multiple storage solution.

What are people doing these days for replacing things they already owned that have been stolen from them by poor manufacturing and how are they storing these things so that they don’t lose them again?

Old 03-18-2023, 02:04 PM   #21

Here is a picture of one of the American dad discs. This is not the label side. This is supposed to be the reflective side.

Obviously this DVD doesn’t work at all anymore because the laser can’t reflect off of anything. There’s nothing reflective there at all anymore. It just simply vanished.

Is there a class action lawsuit to join? I feel so ripped off. I invested a lot into having this entertainment available off grid. We are talking $1000 or so.

I definitely need to find a place to download all of this stuff again

Old 03-18-2023, 11:00 PM   #22

That's pretty messed up. I've never really been a "collector" of anything but I have built a bit of a library of DVD's and BluRays that I have watched and will rewatch. Some were difficult to find. You've got me more than a little worried now. This isn't something I've seen on my DVD's but I think I've seen it happen on CD's that were left out in the sun. Like on the dash of a car for probably weeks. There used to be a thing called "CD rot" but I've not heard more about it in years nor that it ever applied to DVD's. Doesn't mean that it doesn't though.

Old 03-19-2023, 02:15 AM   #23

DVDs were never advertised as long term archive quality storage I think The sugested life span is 30-100 years, but Under what sort of storage conditions?

Ive had CDs and DVD fail in a few years.

No clue if blueray is any better...

Its why I never bothered with lazer disk 'collections'

All my console cartridges are still good...Disks nope.

Your best bet to save the data it encoding onto solid state hard drive....quality implications aside...

Its why record vinyl is still around today.

Old 03-19-2023, 07:25 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLsior View Post
DVDs were never advertised as long term archive quality storage I think The sugested life span is 30-100 years, but Under what sort of storage conditions?

Ive had CDs and DVD fail in a few years.

No clue if blueray is any better...

Its why I never bothered with lazer disk 'collections'

All my console cartridges are still good...Disks nope.

Your best bet to save the data it encoding onto solid state hard drive....quality implications aside...

Its why record vinyl is still around today.
Kind of unbelievable with the prices they charged me for all of these discs. I already own these shows. Where can I re-download them? For solid state storage?

Also, they never really market them as not lasting either. In the USA DVDs are considered to be something that lasts. Along with blue rays. These discs are approximately 10 years old in the picture. Other ones arent as old. This is before everyone moved to streaming where you pay monthly for the rest of your life.

Some of us are off grid and don’t have necessarily a great Internet connection. Unless you want to pay $200 a month for star link. Which I am not willing to do. Too expensive.

So I set everything up so I had some entertainment off grid without an Internet connection.

Old 03-19-2023, 07:41 AM   #25

Your best bet then is a decent video encoder and file compression system for content you wish to preserve/backup.

Old 03-19-2023, 08:18 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLsior View Post
Your best bet then is a decent video encoder and file compression system for content you wish to preserve/backup.
Not the ones that are still surviving. The ones I lost. Half of my disks are gone and are like this.

I need to get those episodes back. The only way to do it is to download them.

I already owned them and paid for them dearly. It’s not like I bought these discs used. I bought these all brand new from stores for like 35 and $40 each.