Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2020, 09:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimpster View Post
The trail bike being carb is a valid concern some folks have brought up. Judging from the picture of your Suzuki (which looks like an amazing build!) and the back/forth we've had about EFI... you don't strike me as someone who'd just buy this and hope for the best on the trail.

I only locally trail ride (mostly old rail, power line trails.. etc), and I felt it important to install a digital volt meter on my bike and replace the battery with a quality AGM battery. I mean with a high pressure fuel system, if the charging system takes a crap or your battery is damaged/dies... good luck to you. With the voltmeter, at least I can at least start heading back out of the bush if I see the charging system go south.

If I was going to get SERIOUS about trail riding this in the deep bush, I'd likely also swap the fuel pump out for something not from Alibaba. The pump is pretty standard early form factor on a lot of bikes, so putting like a genuine Honda or Suzuki part would make me feel a whole lot better. There have already been a couple people with failed pumps on the Facebook group.

I figure if I can at least bring some of the components up in quality, these are the same issues you'd have on any other EFI dualsport from Japan.
If I'm any distance at all from home, yea I would want a voltmeter. I don't know if people have any problems burning stators. This is notorious on the GS's. There is a simple solution in a Series R/R. From the pictures at least the connectors and cabling look decent enough and probably a step up from the old GS UJMs. And yea an AGM battery is a very good idea. I still hear about the Linthim batteries going dead even with a BMS (that should disconnect on low voltage).

I bought one 10-12 years ago and almost in the two weeks I left the bike sitting and it drained the battery and killed it. One of the jump starters is probably a good idea if you are any distance from home as well.

Like this:

https://www.audew.com/Audew-1000A-Pe...xoCtmwQAvD_BwE

A spare fuel pump is another option, although replacement might be difficult on the trail

Prior bikes Suzuki 81 GS750EX, 83 GS1100ED. Long time member at GSResources.com

Old 07-20-2021, 03:27 PM   #17

Has anyone ported/polished thier 250 efi with out tuning?

I'm wondering if anyone has tried it yet and if the stock ecu could handle the adjustments. Being that it's a smaller engine and whatnot I feel it could at least handle it with a lil performance bump. Just wondering if any one has tried it yet. I saw somewhere you
Ou can get these heads for about 40 bucks so I'm pry gunna buy one and try it out but was hoping to see if someone has already.