Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2020, 03:25 PM   #16

Ok, not going to lie, I know nothing about carbs and tuning them.
I live in vegas. Any idea what size jets I should start with on this thing?
I've seen people put in 105, 110, 115, 120 etc etc and I have no clue where to even start. Most of the others are at sea level or close to it. I'm about 2,000 feet up.

Old 12-24-2020, 07:48 PM   #17

Some people at 4 to 5000 feet have found the stock main runs pretty good. I would say 105, 108, maybe 110. Could start rich say with 110 and work back. One size richer comes in with an exhaust mod. The stock PZ30 also needs two small washers under the needle. Start with the pilot jet and get the idle good and work on the rest. Motocheez has a utube video on opening up the stock carb and he does the basic re-jet on several bikes Hawk, Brozz. I am not promoting him, just that he has video and sometimes good to see it.

Last edited by China Rider 27; 12-26-2020 at 10:11 AM.

Old 12-24-2020, 09:29 PM   #18

I already bought a vm26 and jet kit. I don't even want to mess with the stock carb at all.
I also made sure to get one with a longer fuel screw so I can actually adjust it without having to take the bike apart. Motocheese is one of the main reasons I got this bike. One of the first things I did was shim the needle.

Picked up a hitch and bike hauler for my car. Vegas drivers SUCK there's no way in hell I'll ride on the streets here.

Old 12-25-2020, 05:06 PM   #19

Glad you are having a good relationship with your bike. I prefer winning with the stock carb for a lot of reasons but hope the bolt on parts you bought send that thing into the stratosphere!!

Old 12-25-2020, 08:02 PM   #20

New carb installed. Came with a 103 jet. Runs right out of the box but pops a little.
Unfortunately, the new jets don't fit perfectly into the new carb so might have to take the old one apart. Still have some tweeking to do with the 103 but I might need a 105

Old 12-26-2020, 01:46 PM   #21

My Magician runs great with a 105. Elevation in Bismarck is 1500.

Old 12-26-2020, 09:12 PM   #22

Took it across town, tuned the carb a bit more. Then took it out on some trails.
Damn headlight blew. Had 53km on it. lol. Ordered an led replacement. Was planing to upgrade that anyway but figured I'd get a few more kms out of it. Deffinitely going to build a nice stainless exhaust. Probably worth more than the bike lol.

In good company

Old 01-02-2021, 06:16 PM   #23

Well, had my first fall. Snapped the clutch lever right twain in two. Did so 6 miles or so from the truck. So rode clutchless. Having spent the better part of an hour driving to the damn lake bed, I decided to press on and go do some exploring anyway. Broke both mirrors off as well lol. Kind of figured that would happen.

Ordering a new clutch lever today, obvious an upgraded one, and I'll get a spare lever for both sides to keep with me. Might do some pro taper bars as well. Definitely want to get some brush guards.

Old 01-09-2021, 10:07 PM   #24

I knew the cats were restrictive but I didn't know they were this bad. Cut it out and welded in a new piece. Man it runs so much more betterer. Also installed new clutch and brake assemblies as well as some brush guards.

Old 01-10-2021, 12:48 AM   #25

Yeah, we weren't lying about the catalysts lol. It wouldn't be so bad if it was quite a bit bigger, but since the diameter increase is barely much more than the regular pipe diameter and it is filled to at least 50% of the area with material, it really chokes out these motors in the middle and upper rpm ranges.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 01-11-2021, 02:14 PM   #26

There are some rather nasty heavy metals in that honeycomb: platinum, palladium, rhodium as well as gold, then there is all the deposits left in them. Any likely many other nasties. You know, things that likely created Godzilla. :-)

That image of those direct contaminants should alarm you more than waking up with Chef Gordon Ramsey next you after a long night of partying.

You may want to skip the cut out and potential dust exposure, and for the somewhat low price just buy a better quality complete exhaust kit.

Old 01-11-2021, 06:52 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyTBR7 View Post

You may want to skip the cut out and potential dust exposure, and for the somewhat low price just buy a better quality complete exhaust kit.
Number 1 it is already done.
Number 2 I have a down draft grinding table.
Number 3 i am hesitant to damage my already heavily compromised lungs.
Number 4 I'm going to build my own exhaust from scratch because I am a fabricator. Cutting out the stock cat is a temporary solution. No sense in ordering a halfass ebay exhaust when I can use stuff I have on hand.

My next project is some crash bars to protect the engine.

Old 01-12-2021, 09:46 AM   #28

EA, I was anticipating a chuckle and a laugh. :-)

Let us know the link if you find any aftermarket crash bars that bolt on. I know I would love a set for by TBR7. My utter lack of skills in deep sand and tough areas could use them.

Old 01-12-2021, 12:53 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyTBR7 View Post
EA, I was anticipating a chuckle and a laugh. :-)

Let us know the link if you find any aftermarket crash bars that bolt on. I know I would love a set for by TBR7. My utter lack of skills in deep sand and tough areas could use them.

I will be building my own crash bars. A friend really wants to drag me out to the dunes and this bike SUCKS on loose stuff (I suck on loose stuff too lol)
I've already put it down 3 times in 180~km of riding.

Old 01-21-2021, 01:49 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Adjusted idle all the way. Would only run on choke even after 10 minutes of idling.
Exhaust was glowing red.

I'll pop the carb off tomorrow, remove the tamper resistant cap and adjust the fuel to see how that does. Ordered some bigger jets just in case.

Hey! My very first post here! I got a RED Magician for Xmas, as a surprise gift from my wife!

Definitely a cool little bike.

The biggest problem I have had is the idle! It's almost impossible to get it to idle unless I put it on half choke (at least).

My short term fix was to adjust the throttle cable up at the right handlebar, all the way "out" to increase the throttle. It now idles very LOW, but very smoothly and without ANY choke.

I need to figure out how to adjust the idle. All I saw on the side of the carb that looked like it might be right was one screw, spring-loaded, with a Torx-security head. I wasn't sure if it WAS the idle, so I didn't mess with it, and just adjusted the throttle cable as mentioned.