Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2019, 09:44 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_in_az View Post
they're supposed to mimic cooling scoops for a radiator on liquid cooled bikes, they serve no purpose since they're too high above the cylinder head.
Unless you install oil cooler behind them.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 10-21-2019, 09:57 AM   #17

That is a sweet setup Jerry. I would be wary of the additional plumbing but it seems you've got it figured out pretty well.
2011 Honda Foreman 500ES 4x4
2001 Polaris Scrambler 400

Old 10-21-2019, 11:35 AM   #18

I agree, it is a great place for an oil cooler setup. Mine isn't as fancy as Jerry's dual setup, but it works just as good.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 10-21-2019, 10:42 PM   #19

Now just ditch the front headlight and add a LARGE round LED light and it would be perfect.

Old 10-21-2019, 11:25 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
I agree, it is a great place for an oil cooler setup. Mine isn't as fancy as Jerry's dual setup, but it works just as good.
I really need to copy your setup, i think that the oil cooler is a must if we want to push the little cg as far as we can.

Quote:
they're supposed to mimic cooling scoops for a radiator on liquid cooled bikes, they serve no purpose since they're too high above the cylinder head.
Indeed.
I have a 1993 KMX 200 2t water cooled, those early models only had the side tank plastic on the radiator side. Later models added an extra side plastic to the other side for aesthetics and homogeneity....

Old 10-22-2019, 03:04 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Dog View Post
I really need to copy your setup, i think that the oil cooler is a must if we want to push the little cg as far as we can.

Honestly, you could get away with a smaller oil cooler and likely be fine as long as it gets direct airflow. I went with the bigger single unit for 3 basic reasons. 1 capacity (125ml), which when combined with the amount of oil the lines actually hold is almost an extra half a quart in the system, which is a 33% increase. 2. Simplicity. I had originally planned to mount two smaller coolers, but this big single unit was much easier to get installed. Is it ideal? No, but it works well enough and the upper U-bolt that mounts it is hooked between the upper backbone and the lower brace above the engine, so it can't really slide down. 3. Size. Since I knew the front fender was going to effectively block some of the airflow I wanted as wide of a cooler as I could get so that at least half of it always had some air hitting it at any given moment.

It works fairly well too. On hot days you can actually feel it working. Sitting at a traffic light with the motor heating up you can feel some clutch fade happening from the heat soak, but the second you get moving the clutch fade... fades, and goes back to normal very quickly. Without the cooler, the clutch fade was just a fact of life, even at speed. The engine case may shed heat from the oil, but it isn't very efficient at it.

Oil life is also improved rather noticeably as a result.

In my case (and a few other guys now) with higher compression, a ported head, and soon a cam (wink) with a larger than stock carburetor, this motor definitely kicks out some more heat. On my last ride home it was 44 degrees outside, and that oil cooler was still almost too hot to touch when I arrived at home. after just 11 miles of riding. I do admit that I would like to add a thermostat to the cooler system and better lines at some point, but for now it works rather well. Warm up takes a bit longer, but not excessively so.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 01-11-2020, 10:21 PM   #22

Quote:
sorry guys, but I don't like the look of all the extra plastic parts that are on the bike. So I removed the tank sides, exhaust "shield" and the brush guards. I added a harbor freight 3800 case to the rear rack. I think it gives the bike an old school cleaner look. Thoughts?
How'd you do the harbor freight box on the back? I'd love to do it on my bike!

Old 01-14-2020, 05:25 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfordy View Post
How'd you do the harbor freight box on the back? I'd love to do it on my bike!
I used 1/2" electrical conduit clamps around the rack and fixed them with countersunk 1/4-20 screws inside the box
4 degree advance key
290 degree cam
Nibbi PE30 and cone filter

Front fork brace

Old 01-20-2020, 02:44 PM   #24

Quote:
I used 1/2" electrical conduit clamps around the rack and fixed them with countersunk 1/4-20 screws inside the box
Worked great!! Love the box on the back, thanks for letting me copy you lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snapchat-1749595119.jpg (101.0 KB, 322 views)

Old 01-20-2020, 04:27 PM   #25

Tank plastic removal

I thought about removing the plastic, and removed one side and then spent some time trying to figure out what to do with the mounting points on the tank that would make sense. They are ugly and need to be hidden in some way. I know that is vanity, but everyone likes a clean look.

I see now that maybe a couple of those military bags might work there and am going to look into it again. A larger bag on each side secured thru the slot on tank. Good to have any load up front anyway.

Meanwhile, I don't know if they do or not, but I think maybe they help to deflect air around my knees when winter riding (in the city). I don't think this was any original function tho...as I agree they are just to mimic radiator shrouds.