Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2016, 08:45 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserchinarider View Post
I'm a bit confused here...one post you are looking for a bike for "a lot of highway time" and another post reads "No highway riding".

All I can add is that for a new rider, I wouldn't really recommend either riding highway or riding 2 up, both present challenges not really suited for a new rider IMHO.
Yep, the long term goal is adventure travel, including lots of highway time. When I first started considering this I thought I could get 1 bike to do all that.

After reading lots posts on here, I decided that probably ant the best plan. I should probably start on a smaller bike and stick to the dirt around here until I get my experience.

I haven't had a bike in 30 years. As a kid I rode all the time, I had trail bikes starting at about 9, and got an XR75 that I rode everywhere as a teen. My dad rode too.

I've got some funny stories about that XR, like I used to do my paper route on it. When I was about 14 I started taking it on trips out of town. I would load up and head out on a mix of back roads and highway and visit paces. Went about 60 miles 1 time, and ended up with a breakdown. My parents were not happy.

So yeah, that's where I'm at now.

Thanks guys for all the help and knowledge on here!

Old 07-04-2016, 09:02 AM   #17

just my opinion but from reading on here..... if what you are wanting is a reliable bike to put some local miles on and relearn your riding style& skills then the Hawk is probably going to be damned hard to beat on $$$ alone. If you're willing to turn wrenches and open to asking questions for help on here then it just might foot the bill for you.

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 07-05-2016, 02:04 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeerAtlas View Post
ok, looking at your sig, Pete, I now see by your bike list you r definitely NOT the normal offroader.
Incompetent people do Not ride Montesas (Bro was an Ossa/Bultaco kind of guy)sorry if my post offended you, but I think the OP stated he's a new rider
not offended....

but to be honest my XT660 is far from the normal XT660...

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Last edited by pete; 07-05-2016 at 02:45 AM.