Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2015, 10:01 AM   #16

Getting intimate.

One more thing, JB. On the day you do decide to do the valves for the first time, I suggest setting aside an entire day and take your time.

While you are taking off the pieces to access the valves, look around at everything else while it's exposed. Check that the harness from the rear brake switch is clear of the exhaust pipe, check hose clamps are snug, things like that.

This forum is a wellspring of info. Make notes of what you've read & learned so you will remember what to check on your day of getting intimate with your Zong.

To quote Woodlandsprite, that does sound a bit dirty. But in the good way.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:34 AM   #17

As usual, Jay has provided excellent advice. Budget a lot of time for the first valve adjustment of the RX3. Don't worry; the job gets easier, and goes more quickly each subsequent time you do it.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 12-16-2015, 12:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay In Milpitas View Post
One more thing, JB. On the day you do decide to do the valves for the first time, I suggest setting aside an entire day and take your time.

While you are taking off the pieces to access the valves, look around at everything else while it's exposed. Check that the harness from the rear brake switch is clear of the exhaust pipe, check hose clamps are snug, things like that.
Thanks again, Jay.

I planned to take a whole day going over the bike.

That's the main reason I haven't done the valve check. I'm having too much fun riding every day.

I'll be going out of town for the holidays. So I will set aside a day before I leave, so the bike will be ready to ride when I return.

jb

Old 01-13-2016, 01:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay In Milpitas View Post
....I suggest setting aside an entire day and take your time....
I finally checked the valve clearances at 850 miles....and it took me two days....but that included messing with the air filter access, checking wiring connectors, and tightening assorted bolts.

To be certain of the original valve clearance, I contacted Gerry at CSC, and he verified that:

"The valves are adjusted to .003" during set up."

Notice that the measurement is in thousandths of an inch, not the .04 - .06 mm that is in the manual.

The .003 " feeler gauge slid under all four valve tappets.

There wasn't as much "drag" as I thought there should be, but the .004" feeler did not slide in.

So I left all four as there were.

I am not looking forward to adjusting the exhaust valve clearances when the time comes:

One of other things I noticed was the bolts on the fuel pump cover were not tightened enough.

I could unscrew them with my fingers. I didn't have the torque specs, so I used a short handled 1/4" drive socket and used 2 fingers on the handle to tighten them.

The spark plug looked good:

The second day I put everything back together.

I had only one missing washer...not too bad. Usually I have parts left over.

To be honest, this was no fun at all.

It took much longer than I expected, even longer than that the valve adjustment on the Triumph Bonneville where I had to remove the whole cam assembly and change out shims.

jb

Old 01-13-2016, 01:57 PM   #20

Thanks for the pics. That's one clean, organized workspace!

Valve checks are definitely not easy (at least on the exhaust side), but I guess that's the price you pay with a compact motorcycle. My 2nd check went much easier.

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 01-13-2016, 07:59 PM   #21

Indeed, thank for posting the nice photos. Also, thanks for the tip regarding the fuel pump bolts; I will check mine the next time I remove the fuel tank.

Indeed, the job is a little tedious, but it will go much faster the next time. Nevertheless, I budget 3 leisurely hours for a valve adjustment.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894