Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2009, 06:44 PM   #16

Instead of changing the rear sprocket out why not just swap the front? One tooth on the front is like three on the rear, so going to a 13/45 from a 17/45 would be the same as going to a 17/57. Plus you can keep the same length chain and change gearing without pulling the back wheel.

<BTW> Deathwing is the nickname given to Bridgestone Trailwings like come on new DR 650s and other bikes. They are supposed to be a 90 on/10 off tire, but look more like a plain street tire. They are good on dry roads, but will let go really fast under other conditions.

This is a Deathwing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUG
Aggressive yes. Thanks for the tip, I've heard them referred to as death wings 8O . Still DOT approved. I don't commute with the bike, it's just for play on nice days.

It does rob a little HP. At this time it seems to be OK, running a 17 front and 45 rear sprocket, i may go back to the 56 or see if i can find something in between if it's a problem.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead

<BTW> Deathwing is the nickname given to Bridgestone Trailwings like come on new DR 650s and other bikes. They are supposed to be a 90 on/10 off tire, but look more like a plain street tire. They are good on dry roads, but will let go really fast under other conditions.

This is a Deathwing.

problem.
I've never been so happy to be wrong. It kinda bothered me riding around on a tire with "death" in it's nickname

Old 04-29-2009, 05:56 PM   #18

Well, good thing they're not "Death" tires, still, watch the wet...
AND, I have to agree, went out and played today in some real loose stuff and jeez, stock tires just plain suck LOL. Really had to be on the ball just to keep the sunny side up. Wonder if they've come up with something more in the middle. Still, for dirt fire and logging roads, and hard dirt, they're doing fine, so maybe i'll just avoid the sand and 'bike-rototilled' areas for now LOL.

Seer
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 04-29-2009, 08:25 PM   #19

I run a 760 on my KLX. Great off-road tire and probably the best 'bang for your buck' in a DOT knobby. I'm not crazy about it on the street though.

I prefer a crappy street tire to a crappy dirt tire. When you're in the slop accept no substitutes! I ran K270's on the Lifan; mud plugged them up something fierce but they were nice on the road.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 04-29-2009, 11:22 PM   #20

Don't say the K270 is bad in mud.... just don't do it! I have a set waiting until the last vestige of tread is gone from the TKC 80's on my DR650. Around here, if you can't get traction in the mud you might as well stay on the road.
I've heard if you air them down they do pretty well in the gooey stuff. As the tread flexes it supposedly clears out the mud.... I'll find out.

The funny thing is, I went riding with some guys (all on KLR 650s) and one of them was running a set of wore out Avon Distanzaa. It was so slick we could barely make it 30 feet without dropping out bikes. One place was really bad, super slick (black mud and a thick layer of wet, rotting leaves), steep and with a switchback right in the middle of the hill. I slid all the way off the trail into the briars, another guy made it halfway up the hill past the switcback, dumped it and slid partways back down, another.. well we pushed him and his bike all the way up....... the guy on the Avons? He gagged it and rode straight up the hill like it was dry pavement! I was too tired to decide it I should laugh or get mad, so I just sat down in the mud and smoked another ciggarette...

Old 05-01-2009, 03:56 PM   #21

Noticed today that the rear tire in coming into contact with fake exhaust storage can. Must be it doesn't contact often, there are no marks on the can and i have not heard the impact. Wouldn't have even known if i hadn't looked underneath and saw the dirt rubbed off after a ride today, will probably just try to shift the can over.

As mentioned before on road braking has suffered, while it improve progessively as the tire scuffed in, it is no where near as good as it was with the stock tires. Overall still real happy with the tires and would recommend them if you ride mostly off road.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:27 PM   #22

Mmmmmmmm.

Got my tires last night. May install them over the weekend. I kinda wish I went with the 100 rather than the 110, might have saved myself some work. I'll also see if the tool holder can be moved to the left a little. Thanks for the heads up!

Old 05-01-2009, 05:20 PM   #23

So far my only complaint with the tires my Lifan came with is they suck the big whan in the sand and it make riding like a constant 'bicycle over the garden hose'. W/E I love my Lifan

Old 05-01-2009, 05:22 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddy469
So far my only complaint with the tires my Lifan came with is they suck the big whan in the sand and it make riding like a constant 'bicycle over the garden hose'. W/E I love my Lifan
As a fellow Eastern Washingtonian, 75+% of my riding is in sand or dust or loose stuff. The rest is hardpack. I'll just have to be careful on the short street runs (to get gas, check the mail, stuff like that).

Old 05-01-2009, 05:31 PM   #25

With the stock tire there were a lot of times my Bike looked like i was riding with 2 giant Entenmann's chocolate frosted doughnuts mounted on rims.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:33 PM   #26

Old 05-01-2009, 05:49 PM   #27

And Homer said, "MMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Doughnuts "

Old 05-01-2009, 06:53 PM   #28

Send a message via MSN to liverchip
I put 100/100 Dunlop MX (non DOT) on mine a while back. They're just about gone after about 1000 miles. Pavement is rough on them. I'm wondering how the Kendas will hold up in hard/rocky terrain.

2007 X-Moto(Jetmoto) GY250
--mods---
15/40 sprockets
UNI Pod Filter

2007 Shineray TMS 200XYi--Betsy
Betsy Mods:______________________
Acerbis DHH headlight
FMF Powercore pipe
Uni Pod Filter

Old 05-01-2009, 07:14 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverchip
I put 100/100 Dunlop MX (non DOT) on mine a while back. They're just about gone after about 1000 miles. Pavement is rough on them. I'm wondering how the Kendas will hold up in hard/rocky terrain.
Yes, I would like to how they handle the rocks, also. I do a lot of street riding, and the trails I ride are very rocky. I am considering the Kenda 760s for the front tire on my Zongshen 200GY-2, but I think the pavement and rocks will be very hard on them.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-01-2009, 07:26 PM   #30

Send a message via MSN to liverchip
Couldn't possibly be worse than what I'm running!

2007 X-Moto(Jetmoto) GY250
--mods---
15/40 sprockets
UNI Pod Filter

2007 Shineray TMS 200XYi--Betsy
Betsy Mods:______________________
Acerbis DHH headlight
FMF Powercore pipe
Uni Pod Filter