Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2009, 06:35 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
That's the same headlight. I love how it looks on your bike...
That headlight really does look sharp, TC! You did a superb job.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-23-2009, 07:17 PM   #17

Those brackets look like that after a few hours of work on them.

They started off as a sign, a construction sign or maybe those were from another sign but anyway the material is the aluminum they use for signs and it isnt just aluminum it is a lot more flexable and durable than just aluminum sheet.

The big deal is cleaning off the sticky sign material with a heat gun then scraping and then removing the adhesive then sanding it to how it looks now.chemical stripping works but I hate that stuff.

I usually start on the back side of the sign and just lightly power sand the aluminum clean and wipe it down then lay out the piece/s to be cut and cut them out with a sabresaw.
Next I put them back to back and clamp them tighly and drill the holes so they all line up.
Then I'll start filing the pieces when they are still clamped together to make them both exactly the same but reversed.
After they look right and fit close enough I had to bend that little tab in and bolt it all together.

I left the extra material at the bent tab area just in case I needed something to attach a better supoort there but so far havnt needed it.

Anyway I'll look around and see if I have what I need to make more.
(If only I had them drawn up and coded out to be cut on my minimill)

Old 04-23-2009, 07:52 PM   #18

Wow. That was a lot of work! I'll drop by the hardware store and get the aluminum all ready to go and spare the stop sign!

Old 04-23-2009, 09:05 PM   #19

It is a bit of work but I started out with a piece of poster board as my first template and after I got that to fit nice enough I went on to the aluminum.

It wasnt a stop sign that I used (same stuff though) it was a sign they were throwing away that was no longer needed at the stadium it was "augengbright security" or something that no longer had a contract there.It was a little bent but I found more than enough to use out of it.

And the other piece I have around here is a construction sign that was left laying along the road in the weeds for months, that one was huge like 4 x 4 and I should still have it around here somewhere.That one may have fallen off a truck or something as it was in a place no construction had been going on and it was different than the ones we use.

I really should paint them brackes though just to hide them on the bike a bit.

So no I didnt steal them I wouldnt be caught dead stealing a road sign especially in the city I live and work for.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:25 AM   #20

I never "stole" stop signs when I was a kid either :wink:

Old 04-24-2009, 08:30 AM   #21

What type of bulb does that acerbis light use?

Old 04-24-2009, 11:24 AM   #22

Sorry TC, I did not mean for that to sound the way you read it. I was not insinuating anything, I was just kidding. One of the disadvantages of the internet is sometimes humor can br misunderstood without the face to face cues that we take for granted.

At any rate, I fixed my broken pieces to use until the new stuff arrives. The fender is fixed on the inside with fiberglass and epoxie resin. I bet it's stronger than stock right now. I used a piece of sheet aluminum and some epoxie and a few pop rivits to fit the headlight shell. Both parts look and function great. I'll leave them on until they break again, then I'll mount the Acerbis parts.

IIRC, The Acerbis headlight is a 35/35 watt non halogen bulb.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:42 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Sorry TC, I did not mean for that to sound the way you read it. I was not insinuating anything, I was just kidding.
Dont worry about it I'm good I just left off the smiley's, Sorry

But I seriously wouldnt steal a sign from the city mostly because its just wrong but seeing how I work here I dont think I'd have a job long.
(and shouldnt if I did that)
If I were to steal a sign that would mean that some fat lazy slob or slobs will actually have to move at some point and that just throws off the whole balance of things for us city workers.

I actually think that acerbis bulb is exactly what came stock in our bikes so still no night riding .
The stock headlight bulbs are a lot like a candle and about as fragile.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:03 PM   #24

I was hoping for a better bulb. Looks like a trip to the junkyard to see what I can find.

Allen

Old 04-24-2009, 08:35 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
I was hoping for a better bulb. Looks like a trip to the junkyard to see what I can find.
Allen
The Acerbis Dimension HP takes an H-4 halogen bulb.
http://www.acerbis.com/p107_headlight/211370.html

The Baja Designs will take a 55/55w H-4 bulb.
https://www.bajadesigns.com/NET/P-60...aja+D+(04-red)

'Course, you can "bugger" up the stock one like I did
(if it ain't broke). All you need is a wiring plug from a junker that uses a dual element H-4.
Bill