Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2011, 12:59 PM   #16

rerwe v sdgfh brthrtwhb nh frthrgf

Old 09-22-2011, 01:23 PM   #17

I just tuned up my friend's 1969 Ford Galaxy XL. It has points.

My 1972 Honda, 1978 Suzuki, and 1968 BSA all have points too. My airplane has points in the magnetos.

I'm 47 and have been working on cars and bikes my whole life since I was about 15 so I've seen my share of points ignition... :wink:

Old 09-22-2011, 01:36 PM   #18

An aeroplane with points.....that doesn't inspire confidence!!

Heh...I'm 2 years older than you, Doc...but I didn't start working on cars till the 90's..... I love old-fashioned "low technology" type things....but electronic ignitons are the one modern invention I actually like..... (Just the simple kind...like the old GM HEI's)

Old 09-22-2011, 01:56 PM   #19

It should inspire confidence. :wink:

Simple, reliable, mechanical, and in association with the magnetos will operate normally with no external power source.

Also there are two seperate ignition systems on airplanes for complete redundancy should one system somehow become disabled.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:58 PM   #20

FWIW I also prefer fuel injection and electronic ignition for ground vehicles, but for an airplane systems that have been proven over the decades is best when flying over an 12,000 foot Rocky Mountain range in Central Idaho, as I recently did on a trip to see Brother Spud. 8)

Old 09-22-2011, 10:48 PM   #21

wev v asdfgef sdeetg

Old 09-23-2011, 09:14 AM   #22

WG had a post about his exhaust mods. I believe that he saw a good improvement with the filter/rejet/exhaust mod.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:16 AM   #23

The China scooter mufflers are laughable. It doesn't have to be loud to maximize on available power, just matched. I make sure that the muffler does not (mathematically) create a restriction when compared to the head pipe and go from there. The stock airbox is designed to be quiet and restrictive, because such machines are supposed to be limited to 70km/h where I live.

I don't see a big valve head gaining you much with such restrictive breathing.

I welded a muffler from a 200cc atv onto a 50cc scoot that was a perfect mathematical match. It has a nice tone without being annoying. I dumped the stock intake and installed an open element air cleaner and jetted to match, and it now exceeds 70km/h, whereas 50km/h was a struggle before.

In my case, I wouldn't try a new head until I've installed a 70cc kit and pushed it as far as it would go.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-23-2011, 11:05 AM   #24

ferw vv dgbhe edsgwetg we

Old 09-23-2011, 09:03 PM   #25

I've never tried a scooter performance muffler, but I'd start searching on eBay for GY6 muffler and see what you find. I used the stock head pipe in my application, and I'm pleased with the results.

I can see that you need to buy a MIG welder. I bet you could get a decent 200cc atv exhaust for cheap or free from one of the members on this site if you could weld it on. BTW, I wouldn't buy a name-brand big bore kit; I'd search eBay for that too.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-23-2011, 10:11 PM   #26

A MIG welder......oooo! There's no telling what I could do! I've come close to getting an Oxy/Acetylene set-up a few times....

Yeah, just for a quick weld, I always get my neighbor to do it (He's not very good with the torch...but beggars can't be choosers...)- Looks like the exhaust from my "300 Monster" ATV would work great...but then I'd need a muffler for that....

Maybe like ya say, I'll just look around for a 200-250 stock exhaust....

I can't see going out and paying $120 for one of these performance cans from some fancy-pants scooter parts place.

After seeing what's inside these mufflers from your pics in the other thread, it's obvious that ya can't just drill some holes in these babies.... :( (Good thing you dissected that one...or I mighta tried the holes... A drill I have!)