Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2010, 12:33 PM   #16

Reminds me of the time I dropped that brain. 8O

They are more slippery than they look. Usually I'd have had that sucker back in the skull in 1/2 hour but by the time I rubbed all the lint, hair, dirt, and dust bunnies off it (cleanliness counts in brain surgery) and reinstalled it took all afternoon.

Poor rocket scientist was never the same after that.

Oh well, the world needs ditch diggers too I guess. :P

Old 09-14-2010, 01:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc

They are more slippery than they look. Usually I'd have had that sucker back in the skull in 1/2 hour but by the time I rubbed all the lint, hair, dirt, and dust bunnies off it (cleanliness counts in brain surgery) and reinstalled it took all afternoon.

Did you say bad words? Couldn't you just have pressure washed the goo off? Maybe throw it in the Autoclave?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-14-2010, 01:44 PM   #18

Just figured out what I was looking at.

options? Buy a new side cover.
JB Weld and a prayer.
Get someone to Tig weld it back together.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:32 PM   #19

After the heart dropping hollow cracking noise and I had saw what happened, I just got up and called it a night. I'll know more this afternoon. I have plenty-o-JB Weld, and I do have a buddy that can weld, but he won't be available for a few more weeks. I was considering just getting a new one, but that just wouldn't be chinarider worthy. I'll get some more photos later on.

Daddy 8)

Old 09-14-2010, 02:48 PM   #20

One of our members buggered the oil filter hole on a Zong. IIRC he replaced the cover and was good to go. It's not mandatory we always use JB Weld...

I love the cable end repair with JB Weld. That's a ChinaRider classic to be sure.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:54 PM   #21

I figured after sleeping on it you would be up for the challenge. A clear head will do wonders for problem solving.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:56 PM   #22

Re: When a 20 minute job takes you all day

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddy469
Right in the middle of it I got a super important world is going to end phone call from work.
I hate those.

I swe....have picturesque speech, but if I had happen to me what happened to you, I would have just gone, "EEEP!, put my tools away, gone in the house, got in the shower and let out a primal scream or five.

Hope you can fix it.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 09-14-2010, 08:58 PM   #23

Riding a blue plated HSUN 200GY (Otherwise know as a ULIKE 200GY, SUNL 200GY or a VIVA SX200S), a 2010 Gio Mini Hummer 110cc ATV, 2010 Gio T3 Rebel ATV, and a 2002 Kawasaki KLR650, 70cc Katera dirtbike, and a 49cc GIO dirtbike...so far!

Old 09-14-2010, 11:12 PM   #24

OK, I made some decent progress this evening. I actually quit before I wanted to as wifey did not have to work today .

Here is the first photo of the flywheel cover. The only thing holding it on is the gasket - which alas I could not save this time :(. Gasket paper YAY!

Outside shot. You can see how mangled the bolt hole is.

I finally had to get the dremel out and cut the side off. A piece of the dog ear was already broken off so I just went with it.

Another view.

I've got lots of ideas on how I want to rebuild the dog ear. I haven't made up my mind yet. Whatever bolt goes there doesn't need to be butt wild tight. If I can't get the dog ear to work the way I want it, I'm going to cut it off and make another out of an old 10mm socket. I was also considering cutting off a bolt and putting a stud there. I dunno - funny how the big ole' hole in the flywheel cover isn't stressing me out.

But I win anyway. I now know exactly what not to do if a bolt breaks off. I've also learned the watching JB Weld dry doesn't make it go any faster - as odd as that sounds

Daddy 8)

Old 09-15-2010, 06:28 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddy469
But I win anyway. I now know exactly what not to do if a bolt breaks off. I've also learned the watching JB Weld dry doesn't make it go any faster - as odd as that sounds
Daddy 8)
Great 'tude, dude. That'll help more than anything. Relax and "git 'r dun."

And I beg to "dee fur" ...Watching JB weld does make it dry "faster"...you wake up with drool on your chin and wonder where all the time went...

Old 09-15-2010, 12:51 PM   #26

Phase I - Complete

Old 09-15-2010, 07:09 PM   #27

Ok, the dog ear is looking great and I'm pretty excited about the results so far. Here is a picture of the flywheel cover. That little piece snapped off just as soon as I started pushing it back where it is supposed to go. Anyway, it is clamped and JB Welding now. It has as much pressure from the clamp as I'm willing to use. I would cry if I cracked the whole thing in half. Tomorrow I'll put the final pieces together.

Daddy 8)

Old 09-16-2010, 12:28 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc

Ya know Doc, this has to be one of the funniest things I've read all year!
Remind me never to have you attempt a root canal on me! 8O

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 09-16-2010, 03:53 AM   #29

I'm sorry to hear about that nasty bolt, Daddy! :( However, I'm glad to see you are making good progress with the repair. Thanks for posting all the great photos, especially the inside of the left crankcase cover.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 09-16-2010, 05:26 AM   #30

man following this thread has brought back memories to my first broken bolt..

i had my 91 integra ls on jack stands putting my short shifter in and energy suspension shifter bushing on the shofting rods under the car. the stupid bolt hold the shift stabilizer to the transmission case was reverse threaded ( gotta love those reverse threaded bolts).. neways it snapped and broke off in the transmission case and i started flipping out about it.. thinking id have to replace the transmission case to fix it.

luckly for me my best friend ever at the time was a grease monkey and came by after work with a power drill, some drill bits, and a easy out.. 5 minutes,6 smokes and hunreds of feet paced up and down the drive way he had it out..