Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2012, 11:38 AM   #16

Give me an F-150 that runs on diesel and I'd be thrilled. Maybe a Inline Six turbo with a Six-speed manual? 8)

Old 04-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #17

That sounds perfect! I have a six speed transmission in my Caravan, and it makes all the difference.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-27-2012, 02:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
I believe it has alot to do with the bikes being tuned for performanced and the cars being tuned for daily driving, economy, and longevity.
Bikes are sold as toys in North America.
Double Amen on that, Kato.
Check the new Honda NC700X. 700cc parallel twin...78mpg at highway speeds.
NC700 Review
I read where the bike was designed to put the power where most people actually ride the bike...mid-range...not top end.
I get 47mpg out of my $2000 660 single at 4000 rpm...stir the gear box for whatever speed you want...
Bill R

Old 04-27-2012, 02:43 PM   #19

That looks like a website worth exploring!

The Enfield gets in the neighborhood of 80 MPG also. It's tuned for low RPMs as well.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:19 PM   #20

FastDoc's favorite automobile, the Prius, is a good example of this phenomenon. I'm convinced Toyota loses money on every Prius it sells. Nevertheless, the Prius helps Toyota meet CAFE standards, so it can make money on the rest of its cars.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-27-2012, 07:37 PM   #21

I saw a civic hybrid today with a K&N sticker on the back. :roll: My corolla has achieved 36mpg without the need for extra batteries. I am thinking we will see 40 on the drive to Kansas.

78mpg on a 700cc bike is almost unheard of.

My 600cc radian got 50mpg. It had a hard time keeping the front tire down. That is the fastest bike I have owned. My 750 shadow got 60mpg. The 750 virago did about 50mpg.

The virago ran out of steam at 80mph. The shadow I never had above 80.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:19 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
FastDoc's favorite automobile, the Prius, is a good example of this phenomenon. I'm convinced Toyota loses money on every Prius it sells. Nevertheless, the Prius helps Toyota meet CAFE standards, so it can make money on the rest of its cars.
And trucks; I think that's the major point on North America.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-28-2012, 01:34 AM   #23

If the whole world lived like we do in North America we would be in serious trouble.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:45 AM   #24

That's certainly the opinion of a few Europeans I've met. They think that we do everything to excess. On several levels, it's hard to argue.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:18 AM   #25

Such as the amount we waste, the amount of energy we use, and the amount of pollution per person. I think it's more than just opinion, it's factual (even though I didn't bother to post actual numbers).

Old 04-28-2012, 03:43 PM   #26

When I say opinion, I mean that the Europeans I'm referring to figured that we're all the same. Not true. Some of us work at conserving energy and minimizing waste. Despite being free to waste as much as we can afford, a great number of us will reduce the amount we use, re-use what we can and recycle what's left. It's a move in the right direction, and it saves ca$h.

I take it as a personal challenge to minimize how much is actually thrown in the garbage every week. If I can't use something, I'll determine if it can be cleaned / repaired / sold / given away before I get rid of it. When I do get rid of it, I decide if the components can be recycled. Not only do all of the batteries / CFL's / plastics etc get recycled, but I also take the time to properly recycle circuit boards from work. To me, it's totally worth my time.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:45 PM   #27

Good for you, Brother Weld!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-29-2012, 12:06 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
I take it as a personal challenge to minimize how much is actually thrown in the garbage every week. If I can't use something, I'll determine if it can be cleaned / repaired / sold / given away before I get rid of it. When I do get rid of it, I decide if the components can be recycled. Not only do all of the batteries / CFL's / plastics etc get recycled, but I also take the time to properly recycle circuit boards from work. To me, it's totally worth my time.
That's awesome

And I was speaking for overall statistics, there will definitely be individuals who waste or use much more, and those who use much less.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:11 PM   #29

I suspect that most Chinariders have a similar philosophy. If for no other reason, it saves money. If I have to take something to the landfill, it's a minimum $15 fee; you can bet I recycle everything I can to avoid that.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:13 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
I suspect that most Chinariders have a similar philosophy. If for no other reason, it saves money. If I have to take something to the landfill, it's a minimum $15 fee; you can bet I recycle everything I can to avoid that.
I agree. My parents were raised during the Great Depression, and survived World War II. They were frugal, and never wasted anything. I was raised to respect the Earth. I'm sure my upbringing is a major reason I bought a Chinese motorcycle.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220