Old 10-20-2009, 11:38 AM   #16

Sandy beach next to Lake Roosevelt

Are you a Washingtonian too?

Old 10-20-2009, 11:53 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrubitup
Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
Well, $100 in new parts and you should be riding strong.

Allen
Indeed!

Nobody has suggested a chain length so I think I'll follow Spud's advice and buy maybe two or three Tsubaki chains.:mrgreen: In addition to a 46T I want to keep the tractor 56T so I'll prolly need two chains anyway. What suggested lengths should I consider?
Mine wound up being 6 links shorter than stock, whatever that was but I'd go long and cut it to your exact needs.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:23 PM   #18

Quote:
...Nobody has suggested a chain length so I think I'll follow Spud's advice and buy maybe two or three Tsubaki chains.:mrgreen: In addition to a 46T I want to keep the tractor 56T so I'll prolly need two chains anyway…
Indeed, if you wish to experiment with rear sprockets, you will need to keep several different lengths of drive chain. When I converted my Zong to a Yamaha XT225 swingarm, I had to shorten the chain. Then, when I moved up from a 45T to a 50T sprocket, I needed to lengthen the chain. I am thinking I might also experiment with a 58T sprocket on my YamaZong.

Also, the first several times you shorten a chain, you might make a mistake with the length. Therefore, it is a very good idea to have a supply of several extra chains. I am very glad I got six of the Tsubaki 428HQR drive chains shipped to me for the same flat shipping rate. I am pleased to know I have a good supply of drive chains in reserve, in case I need a replacement.

The Tsubaki 428HQ is an excellent drive chain, and the price you are paying is unbeatable; I encourage you to “stock up” on them! My philosophy is simple: “Buy it cheap, and stack it deep.”

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-20-2009, 01:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc

Yes, I live in western Western Wash. On the eastern edge of the Oly Peninsula. :wink: I commute for work into Seattle by ferry on my SV650. I ride the dirt on my YZ250 two stroke. This Kazuma is an anomaly compared to my other bikes but fun nevertheless! It almost goes as slow as a trials bike now which ain't too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
My philosophy is simple: “Buy it cheap, and stack it deep.”
Point taken! :P

Old 10-20-2009, 01:26 PM   #20

I'm on the dry side of the state. I am also a SV 650 fan, nice ride.

My HSUN best I can tell basically the same as your bike, would do an easy indicated 95 KPH, so about 60, with a 16/45 combination and very aggressive knobbies. You could commute on that, and save the SV for good days.

BTW, I love our ferry system how bikes go to the front of the line, and are first on and first off. Lot's of fun.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:51 PM   #21

Quote:
I'm on the dry side of the state. I am also a SV 650 fan, nice ride.

My HSUN best I can tell basically the same as your bike, would do an easy indicated 95 KPH, so about 60, with a 16/45 combination and very aggressive knobbies. You could commute on that, and save the SV for good days.

BTW, I love our ferry system how bikes go to the front of the line, and are first on and first off. Lot's of fun.
No kidding. The top speed I need to reach is 45mph in a 40 zone here. Gotta change gearing and get a battery too. Prolly should put in a fresh plug and gas. That would help it fire more reliably from the kickstarter. Might even cheap out and skip the battery if the kicker gets better. :o

Once I started commuting by motorcycle my original 90 minute one way (which became 135 minutes due to budget cuts) commute became 55 minutes. Screw the cars and busses, motorcycles first!!!!!

Old 10-21-2009, 03:05 PM   #22

Quote:

No kidding. The top speed I need to reach is 45mph in a 40 zone here. Gotta change gearing and get a battery too. Prolly should put in a fresh plug and gas. That would help it fire more reliably from the kickstarter. Might even cheap out and skip the battery if the kicker gets better. :o

Once I started commuting by motorcycle my original 90 minute one way (which became 135 minutes due to budget cuts) commute became 55 minutes. Screw the cars and busses, motorcycles first!!!!!
That's how mine was with stock gearing (17/56). 50mph was redline in fifth gear. I went with a 43T rear and I can hold 65 pretty well. Will do 70 but that's about it.

Old 10-21-2009, 03:13 PM   #23

When i took links out of my chain for my new sprocket, I first aligned the rear wheel and positioned the axle in the center of the adjustment holes. Then I removed the master link clip and stretched it to appox. tension and counted how many links I needed to remove. I took a dremel and cut out I think like 5 or 6 links, put it on and put the clip back on. Then I adjusted the chain tension. Worked pretty well. I would check the chain tension again after a couple of days. Mine loosened up a bit. Also make sure you put the clip back on in the proper direction. You want the closed end being pulled by the chain, if that makes any sense. (I'm assuming you have a chain with a master link clip, that's how mine is anyway)

Old 10-21-2009, 04:04 PM   #24

Quote:

I live in WA

Old 10-22-2009, 11:38 AM   #25

Maybe this spring we Washingtonians should meet up in the Cascades or the Blues for some China Good Times!

Old 10-22-2009, 12:42 PM   #26

Quote:
Maybe this spring we Washingtonians should meet up in the Cascades or the Blues for some China Good Times!
Meet halfway in Vantage at Saddle Mountain near Mattawa. It's a BLM riding area and it's fun. Can do that this winter even. It's banana belt there come winter time as you know. :wink:

Old 10-22-2009, 01:13 PM   #27

Even better. I'm in Kennewick, so that's close by. I'd suggested Spring for the Cascades, but we desert dwellers can ride year yound with a good jacket and a sense of humor.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:18 PM   #28

If it was going to be a dirt ride, a couple of goofy Canadians could likely attend.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-22-2009, 01:23 PM   #29

Goofy Canadians

What other types are there?

Old 10-22-2009, 03:35 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
If it was going to be a dirt ride, a couple of goofy Canadians could likely attend.
Yes, a dirt ride. However, it will be hard riding at Mattawa without my usual dirt scoot. I'm up for the challenge! :P

Guys over on ThumperTalk (Old_Man_Time) will no doubt likely organize several Mattawa rides over the winter. They live in George and other nearby locales. I've got lotsa places here in lowland Puget Sound to ride all winter too but Mattawa is a nice break from the swamps/rain/wet tree slaps in the face come January or so. :idea:

Hey, anybody 100% postive that the 1979 Honda XR185 rear sprocket fits the Lifan knock-off enduros? Specifically one made by Kazuma? It's a four bolt-pattern but the XR one is a six bolt. :?: