Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2012, 11:18 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider
Going through the pics again, I gotta say that the beauty of Idaho just floors me! Really like the pic of Roger kickin back right under the "No Loitering" sign!
The only problem is the winter. Spud will vouch for this, it is brutal :( . Snow, wind and bitter cold. Once the snow falls in November, it's yours to keep till Spring.

I asked Spud what he does during winter:

"I pray for summer!", He replied.

I asked about getting into snow machines. His wise response:

"Are you kidding? It's so cold. If you broke down, you could die!"

'Nuff said. :wink:

Old 08-03-2012, 11:19 AM   #17

Good pick up on the 'No Loitering' sign, BTW. That little detail cracks me up.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:46 PM   #18

Re: FastDoc's Ride Report! Dualsporting Spudland!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
I'm intrigued by this shot; I wonder what Spud was sharing with Roger. I'll bet that Spud is an amazing guide.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-03-2012, 02:00 PM   #19

We are on the Great Southern Butte at 7,500 feet. He is pointing at the distant town of Arco, ID which was our next waypoint across the desert.

We were in an abandoned ranger overlook station. It still had a roof and I was laying on the floor enjoying the shade. I was eating an apple and drinking water and watching those two.

Spud is the best guide. Wonderful knowledge, great riding skills (especially noticeable descending in the rocks on the BRP), and very accomodating and patient.

All Roger and I had to do was follow along, and we were assured a safe and wonderful adventure.

It's all fun and games until the glacier re-forms in November... :wink:

Old 08-03-2012, 03:08 PM   #20

I would have had to wait on the ground.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:15 PM   #21

Not much for heights?

Old 08-03-2012, 04:08 PM   #22

Re: FastDoc's Ride Report! Dualsporting Spudland!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Quote:
I'm intrigued by this shot; I wonder what Spud was sharing with Roger. I'll bet that Spud is an amazing guide.
Thank you, Weld.

FastDoc is correct. I am pointing at Arco, Idaho, which is 23 aerial miles distant, at the base of the Big Lost Range of mountains.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-03-2012, 06:39 PM   #23

Quote:
Not much for heights?
No. I can handle about 20 feet.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #24

I don't mind heights, but as Spud pointed out to me last year, I have a (reasonable) feer of edges.

14,000 feet in my plane? No worries. I have a seat, a floor, and a door and a seatbelt. I'm not 'on the edge'.

My roof at 25 feet? I would NOT like that. There's an edge.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:53 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
Those are the first pictures of Spud without his helmet.
LOL! That's exactly what I thought! Hardly recognized him!

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 08-09-2012, 01:10 AM   #26

Great Pictures FastDoc. Good to see all of you enjoying summer and Idaho. How did Spud like your klx? I think i saw him on one of the pictures.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:14 AM   #27

The KLX250S is a very nice motorcycle, Pliskin. The saddle height was just right for me, and the suspension is superb.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-23-2012, 12:52 PM   #28

Here's an update regarding FastDoc's and Roger's visit to Spudland. While resting and enjoying the view from a mountaintop at 9,200 feet above sea level, I noticed a County Sheriff had also ascended the jeep trail. We visited with the officer, took some photographs, and asked why he had bothered to ascend the rocky road to the mountaintop. :?:

The officer said he couldn't comment on his trip to the mountaintop at that time. However, he told us to watch the news, and we would later discover the reason for his presence. I forget to check the news, but I later encountered other deputies, and they told me why the officer was on the mountaintop; it was drug bust. 8O Here's a link to the news article.

http://www.idahostatejournal.com/new...9bb2963f4.html

The police believe an hispanic gang from Las Vegas, Nevada is responsible for cultivating this huge plot of marijuana (over 40,000 plants), which had an estimated street value of $80,500,000. 8O I guess you and Roger have them fooled, Doc!

If you have 4 minutes, 23 seconds to spare, you might enjoy watching the short video which is also posted with the news article.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 08-23-2012, 01:03 PM   #29

This was funny:

“These plants were extremely well groomed,” Nielsen said. “We didn’t think this stuff would grow at 7,000 feet.”

Thanks for the update, Spud! That's interesting! I still wonder what the K9 Sheriff was doing up there with that electronic device of his.

Some of the comments at the end of the article are aggravating, but a different discussion all together...

Definitely sad to see Idaho, fighter of the Feds, be manipulated by our federal government and say what freedoms people are allowed to have. Between keeping the feds out of our parks, and supporting agriculture, you would figure our wonderful state of Idaho would be fighting for our farmers to be able to grow hemp and medical cannabis. Idaho, the answer is simple. You want to get homeless people off the streets in Boise? You want to lower the 7.8% unemployment rate? Stop listening to the feds about marijuana, decriminalize it, and let our farmers make some money for a change.

gee, what a HUGE AND TOTAL WASTE of resources, medicine, food, money! really, idaho? all that chest-thumping for eradicating some weeds? and destroying something that could have helped so many? smh....

This is Ludicrous. Just speaking of medical use.. These were hybrids?? That could have treated SO many freaking people in our state, or even other states!! We are going to throw away $80 MILLION when we could be treating the sick?? That was enough for our Entire State patients to get treatment!! (for a LONG time) So, we are spending $25,000 to eradicate a Medicine that Thousands of people need, that could have given our state an $80 MILLION revenue. Not surprised though. The people support it, and the gov wants to shut it down. Good luck, LOL! It's EVERYWHERE, even Se Idaho, which took some serious guts!!

Looking through the comments, I have to say that the support raises my spirits!! Please look up compassionateidaho.webs.com We are changing our states medical marijuana laws and we NEED YOUR HELP!!

Old 08-23-2012, 01:08 PM   #30

Did you watch the video, Doc? That Blackhawk helicopter needed to make quite a few trips to bring those 40,000 plants down the mountain from 7,000 feet above sea level! 8O

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220