Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2020, 01:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
It is the same reason carb cleaning/tuning is seen as a black magic voodoo art form. Most vehicles in the last 20-30 years have been EFI with hydraulic lifters. Motorcycles being the only real exception to that rule. Add to that the fact that most small engines these days are sold as "maintenance free" and you end up with a generation or two that was barely introduced to the concepts, or never had to deal with it at all.

I have had quite a few young guys ask me to show them how to set the valve lash on their Grom or other small bike. Once I show them how it is done, they kind of have a "really, that's it?" look on their face lol.
When I was a young kid anytime I could get away from the farm I was in my uncle's shop or one of 2 other local shops. I'd sweep the floor, wipe down tools, scrub parts, run a sand blaster, anything I could do so the old guys wouldn't see me as a pest because I wanted to know what they knew. Sadly only one of the old guys is still with us, but I still visit with him now and then.
2011 Honda Foreman 500ES 4x4
2001 Polaris Scrambler 400

Last edited by OneLeggedRider; 04-12-2020 at 01:57 PM.