Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2014, 01:59 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattybikejones View Post
I did indeed. So exciting! My first moto at age 51!!
As I had made mention. I've ridden dirt bikes and ATCs as a kid and owned scooters in tbe recent past, but
This is my first ever owned motorcycle. I am happy that my first purchase was made with knowledge
I gleaned from these boards. Guys that know these bikes and love them. I am a frugal guy. I have to be to
slog it out in this world. I am a frequent rooter for the underdog and like when I get more than I expect.
We will see when I finally get this bike. Excalibur Motorsports gets high recommendations from this guy!
Happy to be on these boards!
Awesome! I'm looking forward to following your adventures. Please take many pics.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-02-2014, 10:41 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattybikejones View Post
I did indeed. So exciting! My first moto at age 51!!
As I had made mention. I've ridden dirt bikes and ATCs as a kid and owned scooters in tbe recent past, but
This is my first ever owned motorcycle. I am happy that my first purchase was made with knowledge
I gleaned from these boards. Guys that know these bikes and love them. I am a frugal guy. I have to be to
slog it out in this world. I am a frequent rooter for the underdog and like when I get more than I expect.
We will see when I finally get this bike. Excalibur Motorsports gets high recommendations from this guy!
Happy to be on these boards!
I picked up my first adult motorcycle after finding Chinariders . At the age of 50 . welcome to the club

Old 07-02-2014, 11:02 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
I know that there was a guy who bought a Denali, but he only posted a few times, and that was it. As far as starting something, there were a few guys who inspired me who had bought the '09 model (it was sold up to about '11 or early '12), including one guy who moved from Indiana to Northern California and rode his TMEC through the Redwood Forest and posted a video about a year ago on youtube (he was an active member here a few years ago, Vacationtime247) but stopped posting, and I happened to see his video from last summer and he did say he still liked his bike when I asked him on youtube).

Anyway, what helped me was sitting down with Alan and Wade at Excalibur's headquarters a couple Christmas seasons ago when driving back from L.A. to my home in AZ. Ever since, they always had parts for me. They were interested in my ownership experience since I was the first customer they knew who used the bike daily. I guess I became their 'experiment.' If you aren't putting over 150 miles a week, 12 months a year, I can almost guarantee your ownership experience (like 'Vacationtime247' mentioned above) will probably need less parts than I have needed.
Yessir! It was as simple as a query for TMEC dealer in my area from on their web page. Wade emailed me back on Sunday evening nonetheless, saying there weren't any dealers in my area that stocked that bike, rather he could sell one to me.
Pretty smooth experience. Wade is a pretty stand up guy. I did mention to him that I got the tip about TMEC from this community: culcune to be exact. Paying the extra to have it built/PDI... something I was looking forward to doing myself.
I don't mind letting Excalibur make a little something on the sale. $1800 shipped. A bit more, but that's fine. Peace of mind.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:05 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Awesome! I'm looking forward to following your adventures. Please take many pics.
Oh yeah the pics! I have adventures planned already!

Old 07-02-2014, 01:02 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by recracer View Post
I picked up my first adult motorcycle after finding Chinariders . At the age of 50 . welcome to the club
Haha.. Yep. I had been looking at getting a China bike since having owned a few China mopeds and scooters. I think its great that these boards exist. I have so many questions regarding gearing, ignition mods, carb and intake mods and just general how to stuff.
I love that we have this sort of family of China bikers here to share a passion and tips etc.
I want my bike NOW! LOL

Old 07-02-2014, 01:16 PM   #21

Here's your first tip.

After you change the initial, break-in oil, change the engine oil every time the odometer reaches an increment of 1,000, whether it is kilometers, or miles. For example, do the first oil change at 400 kms, to get rid rid of the residue from engine break-in. Then change the engine oil when the odometer reaches 1,000 kms, 2,000 kms, et cetera, for the life of the motorcycle.

Choose any decent motor oil, but change it regularly. If you change the oil every time the odometer reaches another increment of 1,000 kms, you will never forget to change the oil. Personally, I like Mobil, Delvac, 15W/40 motor oil.

Also, after the bike arrives, check the valve lash, and adjust it, if necessary. If you maintain the proper valve lash, and change the engine oil regularly, your bike will provide you with many miles of reliable service. My Zongshen 200GY-2 just turned 64,000 miles on the odometer.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-02-2014, 02:37 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
Here's your first tip.

After you change the initial, break-in oil, change the engine oil every time the odometer reaches an increment of 1,000, whether it is kilometers, or miles. For example, do the first oil change at 400 kms, to get rid rid of the residue from engine break-in. Then change the engine oil when the odometer reaches 1,000 kms, 2,000 kms, et cetera, for the life of the motorcycle.

Choose any decent motor oil, but change it regularly. If you change the oil every time the odometer reaches another increment of 1,000 kms, you will never forget to change the oil. Personally, I like Mobil, Delvac, 15W/40 motor oil.

Also, after the bike arrives, check the valve lash, and adjust it, if necessary. If you maintain the proper valve lash, and change the engine oil regularly, your bike will provide you with many miles of reliable service. My Zongshen 200GY-2 just turned 64,000 miles on the odometer.
Thanks for that. I have heard people say use full syn and folks say no to anything but fossil derivative stuff. What say you about Rotella diesel
stuff. Do these bikes come restricted CDI?

Old 07-02-2014, 02:47 PM   #23

Wade was telling me that the TMEC uses the Zong engine?

Old 07-02-2014, 03:40 PM   #24

Yes, it's a Zong 163FML I believe. As for the oil, I say change it immediately. I think the oil that is shipped with the bike is the one from the factory. I didn't like the looks of it so I changed it straight away. Can't hurt. Used 10w40 wet clutch motorcycle oil from the auto store.

Last edited by WilsonCat; 07-02-2014 at 07:52 PM.

Old 07-02-2014, 04:17 PM   #25

wade emailed me pics of mine, sent yesterday. said they changed the oil, but didn't say what quality they used. did say to change it again after 20 hours. but also said the technician forgot to change oil before they banded it to pallet, and that they over filled it so i should drain some before riding. but if it looks like crappy oil ill prob just change it anyway. i only live 4 blocks from work. hoping i can drive it home to drain/change the oil. what are your guy's thoughts? Could just throw the pallet in my truck, but I'll prob be too geeked with it staring at me at work all day to wait!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6332.jpg (18.0 KB, 136 views)

Last edited by footer; 07-02-2014 at 06:50 PM.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:30 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by footer View Post
My Zongshen 200GY-2 just turned 64,000 miles on the odometer.
Impressive! Hoping to log many miles on my bike as well

Old 07-02-2014, 10:31 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonCat View Post
Yes, it's a Zong 163FML I believe. As for the oil, I say change it immediately. I think the oil that is shipped with the bike is the one from the factory. I didn't like the looks of it so I changed it straight away. Can't hurt. Used 10w40 wet clutch motorcycle oil from the auto store.
I used to use the rotella 15w-40 stuff because it came in bulk, but then figured I would change over to Castrol 10w-40 4 stroke motorcycle oil from one of the local O'Reilly's auto parts stores because it comes in 1 liter bottles as well as 1 quart bottles. The TMEC spec say 1 liter, so that makes it easy!

I don't think there is any problem with synthetic, other than too rich for my blood, LOL.

These engines are Zongshen manufactured, but these are the so-called Honda clone engines--they resemble older air-cooled Honda engines, which is where Zongshen bought its tooling from; Spud's whole bike was manufactured by Zongshen, but his was a very unique bike. Most of these bikes from China use the Honda 'cloned' engines, but Spuds was 'cloned' from Yamaha. Unlike the Honda clone engines which can't really share parts with actual Honda engines, some, if not many (or all?) of Spud's engine interchanges with the 200cc engine found in the TW200!

I find that the Zongshen engine should be hardy for miles. I never touched my engine on the '09 TMEC up to when it gave me possible clutch ring issues (still haven't opened it up) and would not shift. Also, keep in mind that I put about 9000+ miles in the year and a half I owned it, riding 33 miles a day, and had bought it used with unknown miles. If you guys use it as a 'toy' you should have to worry even less about it, other than winter storage.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 07-03-2014, 12:42 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by footer View Post
wade emailed me pics of mine, sent yesterday. said they changed the oil, but didn't say what quality they used. did say to change it again after 20 hours. but also said the technician forgot to change oil before they banded it to pallet, and that they over filled it so i should drain some before riding. but if it looks like crappy oil ill prob just change it anyway. i only live 4 blocks from work. hoping i can drive it home to drain/change the oil. what are your guy's thoughts? Could just throw the pallet in my truck, but I'll prob be too geeked with it staring at me at work all day to wait!
I would listen to Wade. If you average 30 mph during engine break-in, you will travel about 600 miles, in 20 hours, before your first oil change. I'm sure the engine oil Wade used is just fine. If you wish, you can do the first oil change a little earlier, around 400-500 miles.

Yes, you can ride the bike home without changing the oil. If the oil is slightly over filled, the excess will blow out the crankcase hose into the air box. You should only worry if the engine oil is over filled to a very high degree. If so, you can merely loosen the oil drain bolt and let a little oil drip out until the level is correct.

Shell, Rotella 15W/40 is excellent motor oil. Any of the quality, 15W/40 motor oils will do a superb job of protecting your engine. You might enjoy reading the following essays on engine oil for motorcycles.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Oils1.html
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Consumables.html

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-03-2014, 10:50 AM   #29

Quality check..

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post

I don't think there is any problem with synthetic, other than too rich for my blood, LOL.

These engines are Zongshen manufactured, but these are the so-called Honda clone engines--they resemble older air-cooled Honda engines, which is where Zongshen bought its tooling from...

...I find that the Zongshen engine should be hardy for miles. I never touched my engine on the '09 TMEC up to when it gave me possible clutch ring issues (still haven't opened it up) and would not shift. Also, keep in mind that I put about 9000+ miles in the year and a half I owned it, riding 33 miles a day, and had bought it used with unknown miles. If you guys use it as a 'toy' you should have to worry even less about it, other than winter storage.
I guess I used Zongshen name as being quality built. I know that there is some questionable stuff coming from the Chinese mainland. I have been lucky with the 2 scoots I owned (4s Bashan engines) and now I feel pretty good about this motorcycle. I suppose there is a YouTube video tutorial on valve adjustment. If it's anything like a 50cc 4stroke... should be cake.. This will be my first multigear/clutch bike ever. I have ridden them yeeeeaars ago and owned plenty 5 speed manual trans cars.. Needless to say, I do plan on using this bike into the cooler months..maybe into light snow with a knobbie tire swap.. I will use my bike for transportation and semi loaded adventure on/offroad trips. From everything I have read and seen regarding the TMEC, I'm pretty excited.
Are these engines cdi ignition? Limited rev ? I guess I am expecting this bike to be running leeeeannn. If this bike is legal for Cali.. the carb. float bowl screws are probably ground smooth. How are the stock carbs on these bikes? Serviceable?

Old 07-03-2014, 11:04 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
I would listen to Wade. If you average 30 mph during engine break-in, you will travel about 600 miles, in 20 hours, before your first oil change. I'm sure the engine oil Wade used is just fine. If you wish, you can do the first oil change a little earlier, .....

Shell, Rotella 15W/40 is excellent motor oil. Any of the quality, 15W/40 motor oils will do a superb job of protecting your engine. You might enjoy reading the following essays on engine oil for motorcycles.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Oils1.html
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Consumables.html
I have heard some guys ramble on about doing a hard break in on these small displacement engines and some say, go easy.. I would say, ride the bike sensibly ie; no hammerhead starts, don't wind extended high RPMS, no extended parked idling and several oil changes. ..for the first 150-200 mi?
Then as Spud mentioned.. Oil changes about every 1k. Valve lash, I will have to look into. These engines appear to be mostly accessible for user servicing.