Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2008, 06:06 PM   #16

I recently saw a 1973 CT70 on Craigslist forsale that was licensed (plate) and legal. Sold for around $900 and was in nice shape..
2005 TANK Trail 200
2009 Lifan LY110GY-3 (2)

Old 03-31-2008, 06:39 PM   #17

How fast to you want to go on the street? The Ct70 will be limited to about 45mph max and still be safe on those little tires and brakes.

The dual sports will do anywhere from 50-75mph depending on gearing and model. The new hibird 250s will get up to 75. Most of the 200s are upper 60s.

I would look for a leftover GY2 version. They are alittle shorter.

I have been way offroad and can climb some good inclines even with the tall gear that I have.

Hooper Imports sells the Gy2
http://www.hooperimports.com/product...id=LF200GY%2D2

It comes gear more for off-road, but will still go 50. Seat height is less than the Gy5 and my has settle out some. I have a 32" inseam and can flat foot it.

Allen

Old 03-31-2008, 06:48 PM   #18

CT70 clones

The ct70s run from 900 - 1100 depending on vendor , so your price estimates were about right. They need no modifications they are 100% street legal in stock form in every state except california. The 110 cc clone does 45-50 miles per hour so it can handle any in city driving conditions. Probably not a good idea though in larger citys with heavy traffic problems. The more I look around though I am leaning more toward one of the dual sport bikes. I would not want to sacrifice the size and extra power of the dual sport unless the ct's were more reliable and less prone to breaking down. I cannot find anyone with any experience with these bikes. At least with the dual sports if something goes wrong there are places I can get advice on upgrades and repairs etc.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:53 PM   #19

I really have had very few problems with my bike and I have ridden everything from the interstate at full throttle for 45 miles to offroad trails with rocks and streams, mud, small jumps. All that in the same 300 mile day with no problems at all. It was 100 degrees that day too.

The initial prep is the biggest part of the reliability.

Do it right and make a couple small mods like the engine bolts and rerouting wiring and it will be a reliable ride.

5000 miles and I haven't been stranded.

Allen

Old 03-31-2008, 07:05 PM   #20

rerouting wiring?

What exactly do you mean by rerouting the wiring? Just as far as location and connection wise, or upgrading. I realy have no experiance with bikes at all. I do have some experience working on cars and trucks and feel I could handle most minor repairs and prep. Anything major need to be done or just some basic prep.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:09 PM   #21

The wiring comes haphazardly placed and can be pinched by other moving parts or burned by hot exhaust. I just checked mine over and used tie straps to hold it to the frame. Took about 10 minutes.

Also putting some dielectric grease on the connections will have keep water out.

Prepping the bike is nothing difficult, just takes a few hours to do and is easily done at assembly time.

I really think the you would be much happier with one of the DS bikes over the CT70.

Allen

Old 03-31-2008, 07:19 PM   #22

Thank you

Well after hearing what people have to say and reviewing posts I am leaning more toward a DS. NOt sure I will be posting here much more. Everytime I close the window something strange happens. The China rider site opens up in about 40 new windows bogs my system down and I have to log off and restart. Has anyone else had this problem. So now I guess I will do some research and try to find which bike is the best. This will of course not be easy because I see different oppinions on this like everything else of course. Some say Lifan is best, others Roketa, and others recomend other brands. Perhaps I can find someone who has actual experience owning different brands.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:23 PM   #23

Sounds like your browser settings are off.

Allen

Old 03-31-2008, 07:27 PM   #24

Just a little FyI.Most Chinese bikes are made of the same basic quality.You need to choose a bike from a quality dealer who has a good reputation and stocks parts.Having found this site takes care of the rest of your Chinese bike endever.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:48 PM   #25

That CT70 may be street legal here in michigan but it would be considered a motorcycle and therefore in my opinion useless.
(why make that ct70 street legal when I can ride a much biger bike)

Old 04-01-2008, 09:12 AM   #26

Re: Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by newrider
Some say Lifan is best, others Roketa, and others recomend other brands. Perhaps I can find someone who has actual experience owning different brands.
I would go with a walk-in dealer first, if one is near. If one isn't close then go with an established business that will drop ship the cheapest since it's unlikely you'll have them do any service work. Having a dealer is a plus and usually worth the extra cash, but not absolutely necessary. After you've had it past the warranty(assuming it's worth the paper it's written on), you'll take care of things as most of us do, by ourselves.
1995 Kawasaki Concours (ZG1000)