Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2011, 06:52 PM   #241

Location: Wheeling, WV native currently living In Natchitoches, LA
Send a message via AIM to BrianW
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
Any idea yet as to what kind of rear sprocket will fit the PP? I searched for a 14t countershaft sprocket, with no luck.
Did you buy an LXT 400, Brian? :?:

Spud
Thanks for the link, Spud. Yes, I purchased Fishman10's LXT400. I have been meaning to post up about it, but I have not had much of a chance to ride it. It had 55 miles on it when I took possession, now I am approaching 350. I will report further soon.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:00 PM   #242

These bikes are excellent at changing hands. :?

The other nuisances I could have lived with, typical Chinabike stuff, but this engine noise, possibly a rod, is NOT OK :evil: . Although I am glad I was able to help Daddy469 at the time, and I did have some fun with it, I regret buying this pig and the significant financial loss I expect to take on it. I hope I sell it tonight. I will sell it cheaply enough that even IF it needs an entire new engine it will still be a fair deal for the buyer.

I took it in the shorts with three Chinabikes. The ZS250GS with no compression, a Kinroad 250 dual exhaust streetbike (actually I lost no money on that because I bought it so cheaply, but it was a crappy bike), and this PP400.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:02 PM   #243

At 1,500 miles I think I hold the high mileage record for this particular model however... :roll:

Old 05-16-2011, 07:08 PM   #244

Location: Wheeling, WV native currently living In Natchitoches, LA
Send a message via AIM to BrianW
Doc, I commend you for the mileage. The seat of this bike is torturous.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:15 PM   #245

Its the worst pain in the arse I've had since I was married.

8O

Old 05-16-2011, 07:21 PM   #246

Again recall I had plenty of good to say about the bikes performance, but a motor threatening to grenade after 1,500 well maintained miles and no abuse is not acceptable.

Some recommendations for you if you plan to keep the bike:

-Add a high quality temp gauge. I recommend to TTO from Trail Tech, about $40.

-Change the oil maybe every few hundred miles. Seriously. And check it every fillup. This thing consumes oil quickly without leaking or smoking.

-Stay on the street. I don't think it's tranny can take the extra beating of off road riding.

-Be prepared for coolant and oil leaks.

-The chain wears VERY fast. at 1,500 miles mine is 3/4 streached to the snail adjusters limits.

-Check the cam chain tensioner.

-Fill it up every 80 miles. The reserve is a placebo, and the tank size is 2.5 gallons, and mileage can be as low as the low 40's.

-Sell it before it pukes.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:42 PM   #247

If you include what I paid for tax and registration and repairs I lost about $700 on the PP. That's about 50 cents/mile. I'm glad it's gone and my conscience is clear. I was very up front about the bikes issues. Even if the new owner, Carlos, needs to repower it he got his money's worth.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:56 PM   #248

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
...I took it in the shorts with three Chinabikes. The ZS250GS with no compression, a Kinroad 250 dual exhaust streetbike (actually I lost no money on that because I bought it so cheaply, but it was a crappy bike), and this PP400.
Of course you realize, this is a Chinese motorcycle forum, Brother Bill. :roll: Will you say something good about the Zongshen 200GY-2 you owned?

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-16-2011, 10:14 PM   #249

Almost every day I thank my lucky stars I never bought the 400 D/P from xingyue canada... Their slippery salesmen and lack of prompt responses really set my spider senses tingling. I am starting to think that this is one of the poorliest made motorcycles ever. The Chinese attempt to put a larger displacement bike in the hands of North Americans. The small displacement air cooled bikes seem to be what they do best. Why mess with a proven recipe? For the larger displacement bikes I think I will stick with proven designs

Old 05-16-2011, 10:23 PM   #250

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Quote:
...I took it in the shorts with three Chinabikes. The ZS250GS with no compression, a Kinroad 250 dual exhaust streetbike (actually I lost no money on that because I bought it so cheaply, but it was a crappy bike), and this PP400.
Of course you realize, this is a Chinese motorcycle forum, Brother Bill. :roll: Will you say something good about the Zongshen 200GY-2 you owned?

Spud
The ZS200 Sierra was an excellent little bike. Good quality and performance, comfortable and a lot of fun to ride. If I didn't crash it, and already have a Q at the time, I would have kept it, ESPECIALLY based on your amazing reliability and longevity reports, Brother Spud. The ZS250 was a different animal. Different clone, different bike, and different track record. Indeed there are few Japanese, or European bikes that have the trouble free mileage you have on your ZS, Brother Spud.

I maintain that the Q's and the ZS Sierras are the Cadillacs of the CB world, and the equal of the Japanes bikes they were derived from.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:34 PM   #251

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider
Almost every day I thank my lucky stars I never bought the 400 D/P from xingyue canada... Their slippery salesmen and lack of prompt responses really set my spider senses tingling. I am starting to think that this is one of the poorliest made motorcycles ever. The Chinese attempt to put a larger displacement bike in the hands of North Americans. The small displacement air cooled bikes seem to be what they do best. Why mess with a proven recipe? For the larger displacement bikes I think I will stick with proven designs
I agree 100%.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:12 PM   #252

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider
The Chinese do an excellent job copying the small displacement, air cooled engines. However, I don't trust Chinese engineering to design a larger displacement, water cooled engine. I also don't trust any Chinese motorcycle designed principally for the Western marketplace. I am much more inclined to trust motorcycles designed for China's domestic market, and these bikes employ small displacement, air cooled engines.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-16-2011, 11:25 PM   #253

I just re-read much of this thread. It is an honest assesment of my time with the PP400. Indeed, there was a time that it seemed like a good bike all things considered. The knocking sound though did it in for me :evil: . There was something going on there, and it was significant I didn't want to ride it too many more miles lest it blow. :(

My particular PP400 was a Bad Bike. I can't speak for the model in general but I know what my personal experiance was. It was an expensive lesson. :wink:

Old 05-16-2011, 11:40 PM   #254

We know the bottom end of the Xingyue/LXT 400 engine is based on a Honda NX250 engine. Xinyue added a Rotax, 400cc cylinder to complete the top end of this 400cc, water cooled engine.

Xingyue also sells the XY250GY, and the engine in this motorcycle seems to share many similarities with the bottom end of the Xingyue 400cc engine.

http://www.xingyue.us/product_gd.php?id3=183#pic
http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...wtopic&t=10831

Unfortunately, we have heard bad reports of gearbox failures with the XY250GY engine. 8O

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ewtopic&t=6422

Therefore, LXT400 owners, and potential Xingyue customers in Canada, should be forewarned concerning potential problems with the gearbox in the Xingyue 400cc engine.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-16-2011, 11:43 PM   #255

Quote:
My particular PP400 was a Bad Bike. I can't speak for the model in general but I know what my personal experiance was. It was an expensive lesson. :wink:
Doc,....you're right. It may just have been that bike.
I had two virtually identical Honda Accords at the same time. One was a complete pile of trash, the other one flawless. It could just have been that bike....and as far as loss....don't we all take that risk as China Riders?
There's no risk in spending 4000.00+ on the same size Japanese unit....other than you know you're going to lose the additional 2000.00 up front, but know you'r getting a bike that will probably be reliable.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350