Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Suggestions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2020, 10:23 AM   #211

Sure wish I could take some time off and join the group. It would be a pleasure meeting all you guys.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 10-15-2020, 10:27 AM   #212

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
Sure wish I could take some time off and join the group. It would be a pleasure meeting all you guys.
We’d love to have you along! Any chance you could make it? If not this year, I’m getting the feeling that we’ll be doing this again next year.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 10-15-2020, 10:36 AM   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
We’d love to have you along! Any chance you could make it? If not this year, I’m getting the feeling that we’ll be doing this again next year.
Do they allow UTV's and ATV's? I know my daughter would be up to it for sure. Not so sure about the wife. That would be a long trip for her on the ATV. I know there are a few free campgrounds around that area. Might be a good vacation. I would need a two week vacation. It about 1500 mile trip one way.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 10-15-2020, 12:12 PM   #214

Quote:
Do they allow UTV's and ATV's? I know my daughter would be up to it for sure. Not so sure about the wife. That would be a long trip for her on the ATV. I know there are a few free campgrounds around that area. Might be a good vacation. I would need a two week vacation. It about 1500 mile trip one way.
You should research the Arizona Peace Trail if you haven't already. There are YouTube videos of people riding it and/or parts of it. 750 mile loop. Supposed to take 5 or 6 days to do the loop, so combined with the drive, would be a perfect 2 week vacation

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 10-16-2020, 07:46 AM   #215

Quote:
I know all about that drive... I made it when The Missus and I moved out here. In fact, I'm such a glutton for punishment that I did it TWICE! She just had the Mutant, so I figured it was easier to put her on a plane for the trip, and I drove a 26' U-haul with most of our stuff to get the house ready for when she got here with the little one. Then, I flew back to GA and got another U-haul to move the last of our gear and the camper out. Let's just say that U-Hauls aren't exactly known for their creature comforts, and spending a total of five days in them driving across the country is a very inventive method of torture.

As for ATV's and UTV's, Arizona is a state that allows on-road licensing. You "could" make the ride with them, but you would have to get AZ plates and OHV stickers for them. It would be a pretty involved process. Another option would be to drop them off at the start point, and then have someone take the truck and/or trailer and meet us where we would pop out of the trails. Then it would just be a simple matter of loading them back up and getting something to eat. It's certainly not any kind of challenge that couldn't be overcome, it would just take some logistical planning. Let us know how we can help!

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 10-16-2020, 07:59 AM   #216

Quote:
I know all about that drive... I made it when The Missus and I moved out here. In fact, I'm such a glutton for punishment that I did it TWICE! She just had the Mutant, so I figured it was easier to put her on a plane for the trip, and I drove a 26' U-haul with most of our stuff to get the house ready for when she got here with the little one. Then, I flew back to GA and got another U-haul to move the last of our gear and the camper out. Let's just say that U-Hauls aren't exactly known for their creature comforts, and spending a total of five days in them driving across the country is a very inventive method of torture.

As for ATV's and UTV's, Arizona is a state that allows on-road licensing. You "could" make the ride with them, but you would have to get AZ plates and OHV stickers for them. It would be a pretty involved process. Another option would be to drop them off at the start point, and then have someone take the truck and/or trailer and meet us where we would pop out of the trails. Then it would just be a simple matter of loading them back up and getting something to eat. It's certainly not any kind of challenge that couldn't be overcome, it would just take some logistical planning. Let us know how we can help!
We would take two vehicles anyway. I pull the camper and my wife pulls the trailer for the UTV and Bike. We would just have to bring the car and trailer to the pick up point for the ride back. I don't think it's going to happen this year so I'll start planning ahead for the next one. We are planning on selling the camper and buying a 24 or 28' cargo trailer and converting it into a camper/toy hauler. We'll probably have it set up so we can boondock with it. That way we only need one vehicle when traveling.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 10-16-2020, 04:04 PM   #217

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_in_az View Post
I'm fine either way, at least we know the hazards on the wickenburg trail
Excellent fun trip for these 250's

Old 10-18-2020, 05:46 PM   #218

Wickenburg Nov 7th 2020

I did a pre ride Sat and found some routes that avoid that residential passthrough on the blacktop like we did last year. I updated the route here. Meetup same location
https://share.garmin.com/RadPaul

Old 10-19-2020, 08:41 AM   #219

Any word on the width of the trails? The Ural has a track that's about 4' wide. Think there will be any spots to look out for?

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 10-19-2020, 10:52 AM   #220

Quote:
Any word on the width of the trails? The Ural has a track that's about 4' wide. Think there will be any spots to look out for?
It should be ok. The path is wide enough for side by sides

Old 10-19-2020, 01:10 PM   #221

Awesome! Really looking forward to this ride. I think it's going to be a nice diversion to the craziness that has been the past couple months, and is likely to manifest after the election, regardless of which way it goes.

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 10-19-2020, 05:35 PM   #222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musictrek View Post
I did a pre ride Sat and found some routes that avoid that residential passthrough on the blacktop like we did last year. I updated the route here. Meetup same location
https://share.garmin.com/RadPaul

There's an "Earth Ship" house under construction at 299th ave/occupado that might be worth a stop to look at. It's build into the side of the river bank on the south side of it and partially above ground on the north side. The compound walls are built of old tires rammed with earth, it's like something out of Road Warrior.
4 degree advance key
290 degree cam
Nibbi PE30 and cone filter

Front fork brace

Old 10-19-2020, 05:54 PM   #223

HELL YEAH I WANT TO STOP AND CHECK THAT OUT!!! The Missus and I were discussing building one of those before we moved out here. That's so cool that there's one close! Here's the website if anyone wants to check out what an Earthship is: https://www.earthshipglobal.com/

Here's the link to the home for sale. I wish I would have known about it, at that price I would have bought it up in a heartbeat! https://www.redfin.com/AZ/Wittmann/3.../home/40606298

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 10-19-2020, 06:47 PM   #224

Quote:
HELL YEAH I WANT TO STOP AND CHECK THAT OUT!!! The Missus and I were discussing building one of those before we moved out here. That's so cool that there's one close! Here's the website if anyone wants to check out what an Earthship is: https://www.earthshipglobal.com/

Here's the link to the home for sale. I wish I would have known about it, at that price I would have bought it up in a heartbeat! https://www.redfin.com/AZ/Wittmann/3.../home/40606298
My wife and I looked at it as a possible purchase a couple of years ago when it was up for $240K, that was a hard no from me. it was originally started in the 1980s and is no where near being finished. I think it's had at least 3 owners working on it and just compounding the errors of the guys before them
4 degree advance key
290 degree cam
Nibbi PE30 and cone filter

Front fork brace

Old 10-19-2020, 06:57 PM   #225

Wow, I didn't know it was in progress for that long... Yeah, that's a lot of re-work to do. The simple truth is that the people who build these things aren't usually home builders by trade, and as a result you have a lot of things that may look good, but won't last a week under household use. I'm thinking the Missus and I will likely just stick to our original plan and build one from the ground up, no pun intended...

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Tags
250, wickenburg