Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2011, 07:33 PM   #211

headlights

if you use the FOG lights or other headlights .. this will cause the battery to go dead... as they use alot of power.. and the charging system will not keep up... if you want something good.. go to PRINCESS AUTO... they have LED HEADLIGHTS.. or GREGGS..(they are like ACKLANDS ) I do not know how much they are but they would not drain the battery down as fast... almost all FOG lights have 55 watt bulbs( H3).. Your small battery is about 55-90 amps .. at the best of it.. the alternator charges maybe 10 amps.. ( if you are lucky.. ).. I have had many wanting the bright lights.. but this is what happens.. DEAD BATTERYS.. You can also try hooking up a nother battery for more backup... but you will have to put it on the charger when you come back at night.. anyone done this LED headlight switch yet?

Old 03-05-2011, 10:54 PM   #212

i have had no issues what so ever in the past almost 3yrs of owning my quad and using car fog lights. not once did the battery go dead while riding or even if it was parked for a day or 2.. anything after 2 days with out starting it id have to unhook the battery to prevent a dead one. but that is due to something (not fog lights) pulling a very very tiny .4v off the battery when the quad is turned off and the key is removed..

i think those people that ran into a dead battery due to the fog lights is cuz they had the lights on and the motor off.. cuz i can drain my battery in like 10 minutes maybe less if i just leave the fog lights on..

Old 03-06-2011, 09:14 AM   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizke
i have had no issues what so ever in the past almost 3yrs of owning my quad and using car fog lights. not once did the battery go dead while riding or even if it was parked for a day or 2.. anything after 2 days with out starting it id have to unhook the battery to prevent a dead one. but that is due to something (not fog lights) pulling a very very tiny .4v off the battery when the quad is turned off and the key is removed..

i think those people that ran into a dead battery due to the fog lights is cuz they had the lights on and the motor off.. cuz i can drain my battery in like 10 minutes maybe less if i just leave the fog lights on..
It should be pointed out the lead-acid batteries these ship with are CRAP. One in my T3 just died, got a slightly taller one from Walmart yesterday for $48.

Also - do these ATV's actually have a charging circuit?

Old 03-06-2011, 10:51 AM   #214

I think they do, but it may not have a high enough output to maintain the battery while running the lights.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:13 PM   #215

i nursed a bad battery for over year and just last year replaced the battery with a brand new one..

i dont see why so many people are against fog lights, they have never caused a battery to go dead for me and they are much better then using crappy stock head lights

Old 03-06-2011, 12:24 PM   #216

Yes, these quads have a charging circuit, but it can't keep up with an undersized poor quality battery, an igntion circuit and lights. A larger, better quality battery will be able to maintain more reserve capacity to run lights.

I'm not against fog lights. I'm concerned about putting too much current through the stock switches and wires. I'd much rather use the stock switch to trigger a relay which would trigger the lights. There's a reason that the stock lights are only 18 watts.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-06-2011, 12:56 PM   #217

a relay would be a peace of mind thing for me. so far i have not smoked any wires, or burnt up any switches.. before i tore my quad apart i let it idle for an hour with the lights on and checked the wires by grabbing them and feeling for any kind of heat. it seemed that the stock harness was able to handle the draw the fog lights put on it..

plus guys you can run a single fog light instead of 2 fog lights and still have 5 times the light output of the stock headlights.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:03 PM   #218

Lol, I just don't ride mine in the dark... Though really, I don't ride mine much at all. Might have to trade it on a dirt bike . Wonder what a mint Gio Beast with performance shocks (black springs) and the performance carb would sell for on Kijiji? Guessing 6 or 700 dollars?

Old 03-06-2011, 01:20 PM   #219

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider
Lol, I just don't ride mine in the dark... Though really, I don't ride mine much at all. Might have to trade it on a dirt bike . Wonder what a mint Gio Beast with performance shocks (black springs) and the performance carb would sell for on Kijiji? Guessing 6 or 700 dollars?
you would get more by just hanging on it and enjoying it when you can.. if you want a db find one that needs some sweet tlc and wrench time, it will be cheaper..

Old 03-08-2011, 01:07 AM   #220

We put in new wheel bearings on the front. 4 6003Z bearings... I bought them before taking off the second wheel. I had different bearings left and right... Left was 6003z, right was 6003rs... The right had a rubber seal on the bearing. I guess I should've got that, but I got the other, I think they are actually 6003zzz nachi bearings. They were about $6.60 a piece, if they wear out I'll look for some with the rubber seal. I reused the seals off the quad.

We tightened up a bunch of bolts on the steering components. I also painted the front hubs red to match the rear.

I do need to eventually replace the control arm bushings, they aren't much good, one in particular. Not sure when I will get around to that, I don't think I've read of anyone doing those yet so I guess I will have to do the hunting for a replacement part number

One the quad now there isn't a lot left, I need to fix a bolt on the foot peg, and the bumper, and then there are a couple more body panel bolts to put in.

I painted the foot rest part of the back fender with the black under coating (there was too much red), and I think it came out good.

I also built the hitch to go into the receiver that fits the lawn mower trailer. My welding has improved since the swing arm plate.

I don't have any pictures I didn't realize the battery was dead on the camera.

Other then that I think just a clutch and brake adjustment.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:08 PM   #221

Here it is currently.

I painted the bottom part of the back plastic, where your feet rest, with black undercoating... There was too much red. You can also see the red hubs on the front now.

This is the hitch I built to fit in the receiver, a bolt just drops through the trailer reach through the hole in the bottom of this...

And one final addition for now,

Old 03-12-2011, 08:38 PM   #222

Awesome! Anything left to do?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-12-2011, 09:10 PM   #223

I keep forgetting I need to build a guard for the sprocket and brake disc before I take it over anything rough.

And I may get those ebay shocks.

Oh and I need to adjust the shift lever, clutch, and front brakes.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:49 AM   #224

Today I adjusted the clutch, shift lever, and front brakes. We also made a guard for the sprocket / brake disc. I put the remaining few bolts in the plastic panels I missed before.

I also tried out pulling the trailer around, seems to work ok.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:54 AM   #225

I hereby request a close-up shot of the sprocket / rotor guard. Please.