Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2018, 10:17 AM   #181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanro View Post
How many miles / hours have you put on this kit?

A little over 400 miles. Mostly singletrack so slow speeds. I'd estimate around 16 hours and I'm not going easy on it at all. Loads of steep hillclimbs banging it off the rev limiter, etc.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:23 AM   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Under 50 miles. I have my suspicions but all we have are pics and report to go by for doing any forensic guessing.

Update on mine:
I took it out after work for another 10 mile putt around my area. I'm still being easy on it because I'm breaking in the new cylinder and piston. I briefly got it up to 7500 a couple times and no more vibration than normal, though I can still feel it's a bit tight. I'm going to do the usual break-in process, which isn't a big deal for me. Twisty roads anyway. Lots of up and down throttle.

Regarding how it's acting, it's what I've wanted it to be since I bought it. It's SO nice to finally have some usable torque between 3500 and 5000 rpm's. I don't have to drop a gear and ring its neck anymore just to climb up a steep paved road.

Liking it a lot so far and it has yet to grenade.

That is good to hear!

The little extra pep is just what this motor needed as far as I'm concerned. If I wanted way more power I would not be on a 250. It's really made the bike enjoyable to ride without being too much. It is now squarely in Goldilocks territory and 'just right'.

Last edited by ChondaChondaChonda; 05-31-2018 at 10:57 AM.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:30 AM   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChondaChondaChonda View Post
A little over 400 miles. Mostly singletrack so slow speeds. I'd estimate around 16 hours and I'm not going easy on it at all. Loads of steep hillclimbs banging it off the rev limiter, etc.
Some real world testing.
So if one person has an engine grenade the kit's not worth a crap. I don't get it. I've seen factory new engine grenade within a week. That hasn't stopped anyone from buying the big name brands. lol
Chonda, Keep posting. I enjoy reading your threads.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 05-31-2018, 10:50 AM   #184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanro View Post
Yes, I've read Peter post. I was asking Chonda about his.
Whoops. My error.

Chonda has whipped his like a bad mule and it's still hanging in there. That gives me faith.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 05-31-2018, 07:28 PM   #185

Quote:
That is good to hear!

The little extra pep is just what this motor needed as far as I'm concerned. If I wanted way more power I would not be on a 250. It's really made the bike enjoyable to ride without being too much. It is now squarely in Goldilocks territory and 'just right'.

That was my opinion pretty much (RZ3), just a bit fuller power rather the 'just enough"

I am now on my second upgrade on my own RX3 as well as big front brake with 4 pot caliper
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WeChat Image_20180531065020.jpg (93.4 KB, 546 views)

Old 06-01-2018, 10:17 AM   #186

Got home yesterday with every intention of putting more miles on the 300cc kit. Walked in, unloaded my lunchbox, made the grave mistake of hitting the couch to watch the weather, woke up two hours later. Hate that.........

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 06-01-2018, 10:19 AM   #187

Quote:
Got home yesterday with every intention of putting more miles on the 300cc kit. Walked in, unloaded my lunchbox, made the grave mistake of hitting the couch to watch the weather, woke up two hours later. Hate that.........
Hate it when that happens lol
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 06-01-2018, 12:38 PM   #188

The weekend's almost here. You can make up for your nap tomorrow, and catch another nap too afterward.

Old 06-01-2018, 03:56 PM   #189

Quote:
Well, I have decided that I will pull the big bore piston and cylinder out of my LXR and drop it into the new GPX. I have not even put fuel in the new bike yet, so it's a brand new motor.

I'd like to rack up some miles and see how it does. Plus this should give a potential LXR buyer some extra piece of mind.

I will see if I can find a small accurate scale and get weights on my pistons while they are out. I've not noticed any difference in vibration levels with the kit. I do really like the extra grunt, especially off road.
Dang, was hoping you'd leave it in for the next possible owner, maybe just get another kit... Isn't your 8hrs doing the swap once vs. twice more worth $200?

Old 06-01-2018, 04:30 PM   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckati View Post
Dang, was hoping you'd leave it in for the next possible owner, maybe just get another kit... Isn't your 8hrs doing the swap once vs. twice more worth $200?

I might. It depends on if a truck and a motor I have for sale goes quick enough.

8hrs would be ridiculous. I'm sure I can do it in 2 hrs. It's simple straightforward as a swap can be. These bikes are super easy to work on.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:57 PM   #191

Quote:
Hate it yes... Then again we've earned that privilege !

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 06-02-2018, 12:06 AM   #192

Grew up in the olden days when bikes had just what they needed to get down the road. RX3 is more style than practical parts, taking hours to figure how to get all the useless crap off to access the hardware. Bolt sizes don't match in the same pattern on a single part. Just one step at a time, probably take 12 hours labor or more. Used to rebuild 4-stroke singles on 1 1/4 hour with premachined parts.

Old 06-02-2018, 12:12 AM   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqwert View Post
Grew up in the olden days when bikes had just what they needed to get down the road. RX3 is more style than practical parts, taking hours to figure how to get all the useless crap off to access the hardware. Bolt sizes don't match in the same pattern on a single part. Just one step at a time, probably take 12 hours labor or more. Used to rebuild 4-stroke singles on 1 1/4 hour with premachined parts.

Yeah, the LXR and GPX are much easier to tear apart.

Old 06-02-2018, 02:19 PM   #194

Anywho, back to impressions of NZ's kit:

Comes with the basic RTC kit:
Cylinder
Piston
Pin
Clips
Rings
Base gasket
Head gasket

Added by NZ to provide a complete kit:
Rocker arm cover seals
Inserts for alignment between cylinder and case, between cylinder and head
Oil screen, copper washer, and o-ring
Oil filter, wire mesh reusable type
Left side cover gasket
Cam chain tensioner gasket
O-rings 90101-30175000180 No idea what for, need to thoroughly exam parts removed from engine. Guessing plugs that cover timing marks on left side of engine on cam sprocket.
2 exhaust seals, 1 copper, 1 steel/asbestos.

NZ, looks like a perfect kit for the carb models you have. Only additional seal/gasket not included is intake manifold to head. With a carb it would be easier to leave the manifold attached to the head and pull the carb loose from the plastic tube. Might be so with the EFI, but I'm polishing the ports, so off it comes. Don't know if the carb versions get the same seal.

Short the intake/head shaped o-ring seal for EFI versions, but mine is a 2015 model, off the first container to arrive, and that particular part is still in excellent shape on my RX3, so not really necessary. Anywho, CSC describes the part as "O-RING 38x3 Part #: Z10-112" and price is $1.45 plus shipping, which will probably run about $12 unless you buy $98.56 worth of other goodies at the same time. Now do you see why your extra efforts are so valuable to us? Anywho, the part speced for carb manifolds is also described as "O-RING, 38x3, INTAKE MANIFOLD" and I believe the part number is 90101-30380000300 if you want to include that.

The side case cover gasket you included is not needed on my specific model because I choose not to remove that cover. Too many tidbits on the RX3 to worry about pulling the left crankcase cover, so won't be using that gasket. Again, might be needed on different models, I'm guessing carb versions?

Again, good job building a complete kit. So convenient for us.

Old 06-02-2018, 06:56 PM   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqwert View Post
Anywho, back to impressions of NZ's kit:

Comes with the basic RTC kit:
Cylinder
Piston
Pin
Clips
Rings
Base gasket
Head gasket

Added by NZ to provide a complete kit:
Rocker arm cover seals
Inserts for alignment between cylinder and case, between cylinder and head
Oil screen, copper washer, and o-ring
Oil filter, wire mesh reusable type
Left side cover gasket
Cam chain tensioner gasket
O-rings 90101-30175000180 No idea what for, need to thoroughly exam parts removed from engine. Guessing plugs that cover timing marks on left side of engine on cam sprocket.
2 exhaust seals, 1 copper, 1 steel/asbestos.

NZ, looks like a perfect kit for the carb models you have. Only additional seal/gasket not included is intake manifold to head. With a carb it would be easier to leave the manifold attached to the head and pull the carb loose from the plastic tube. Might be so with the EFI, but I'm polishing the ports, so off it comes. Don't know if the carb versions get the same seal.

Short the intake/head shaped o-ring seal for EFI versions, but mine is a 2015 model, off the first container to arrive, and that particular part is still in excellent shape on my RX3, so not really necessary. Anywho, CSC describes the part as "O-RING 38x3 Part #: Z10-112" and price is $1.45 plus shipping, which will probably run about $12 unless you buy $98.56 worth of other goodies at the same time. Now do you see why your extra efforts are so valuable to us? Anywho, the part speced for carb manifolds is also described as "O-RING, 38x3, INTAKE MANIFOLD" and I believe the part number is 90101-30380000300 if you want to include that.

The side case cover gasket you included is not needed on my specific model because I choose not to remove that cover. Too many tidbits on the RX3 to worry about pulling the left crankcase cover, so won't be using that gasket. Again, might be needed on different models, I'm guessing carb versions?

Again, good job building a complete kit. So convenient for us.
Cheers mate
The O ring at the manifold is hard to get, nothing online and the dealer can be 10 days to never to get stuff.
Funny thing is CSC on stuff can be easier then local here in fact and on small parts its not much more then here etc.
Left side cover is cause it is easier to manage the chain etc, but to be fair I reuse the gasket as they didn't break in the past but hey it might be useful another time worst comes to worst.
RX3 you need to remobe the frame around the engine and drop the bolt under the engine near the swing arm put you tongue out left then right whistle and fart a moment for the bits to come up and out as that metal bar gets in the way etc
Mine is together - needs oil and test start after I fit the FOG HORNS for safety.