Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2012, 03:51 PM   #181

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW
I've been resisting bi-focals for a while myself. I'm near sighted so, I do where glasses just can't read or do anything close with em on so, I normally take em off for close up work which is normally in my shop so, I throw on a pair of safety glasses. They've saved my eyes more times than I can count
It's like we're brothers.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-03-2012, 06:56 PM   #182

Weld, I can live with bein brothers 8)

Old 04-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider
Wow! 8O I can't believe that's even the same bike! 8) It looks fantastic! I actually liked the red seat but I gotta say it looks 100 times better with the black, and the blue plastics really make it pop! An excellent job my friend and it looks right at home on the side of the mountain, beautiful scenery . How does it handle with those big tires? Does it feel like a conventional motorcycle or a little different? I've always wondered about that on the TW's.

Awesome job, you've got yourself a sharp looking ride there, I'm looking forward to some ride reports from your area, the closest I've been your way was Kamloops and most of that time was spent in the Chevy dealership shop!
Thanks Stew.

The red seat looked sorta pinkish in the sunlight, so I wanted to cover it right away. I intend to order a new cover on eBay, so I painted it with vinyl paint for now; it's showing through in some spots, but NBD.

It handles remarkably well on the street! I really laid it into some turns, and it felt very smooth and predictable, despite those giant knobbies. It wasn't bad on the loose gravel at the top of the mountain, either.

I intend to slowly make changes and document them here, and I'll post ride reports as they happen. Stew, I'm really interested in getting together for a dual sport ride. Could we meet in Valemount? That's the half way point, and it's cheap to stay there.
Valemount sounds like it could maybe be a possibility, I think that would be about 6 1/2 hours from here. It's outside the park as well so I guess a guy wouldn't have to buy a park pass. I don't know anything about the trails there, were you thinking of a dual sport ride consisting mostly of gravel roads or more of a single track type ride? Just curious because my KLR is not big on single track or mud

Old 04-03-2012, 07:55 PM   #184

So much of the comments sound like something I would say LOL..
I had to go to trifocals 2 years ago (I am a computer tech by trade) and the parts have gotten so GD small.

Shop therapy is good stuff. I just painted the fenders on the street rat, and am starting the tear down for the frame paint and new parts.
The brotherhood of the shop...
Glenn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Quote:
I've been resisting bi-focals for a while myself. I'm near sighted so, I do where glasses just can't read or do anything close with em on so, I normally take em off for close up work which is normally in my shop so, I throw on a pair of safety glasses. They've saved my eyes more times than I can count
It's like we're brothers.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:04 PM   #185

Man if only I had you guys physically there when I need help!

I also wish I had you along physically on my daily rides.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:04 PM   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Man if only I had you guys physically there when I need help!

I also wish I had you along physically on my daily rides.
Heck, I don't have anything that would keep up with you on your daily rides!

Old 04-03-2012, 11:21 PM   #187

No worries. My bike is fast, I'm not. :wink:

Old 04-04-2012, 02:21 AM   #188

I mounted a bag to the back today; it's not pretty, but it's functional. I presume that it was a camera bag, or maybe a huge shaving kit. Who cares. It was $1.50 at the thrift store.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-04-2012, 02:22 AM   #189

Quote:
Valemount sounds like it could maybe be a possibility, I think that would be about 6 1/2 hours from here. It's outside the park as well so I guess a guy wouldn't have to buy a park pass. I don't know anything about the trails there, were you thinking of a dual sport ride consisting mostly of gravel roads or more of a single track type ride? Just curious because my KLR is not big on single track or mud
We should talk further about this by PM.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:26 AM   #190

When I ground out the damaged side cover to expose the countershaft sprocket, I changed the two rusty bearing retainer fasteners for stainless socket head cap screws. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Trouble is, socket head cap screws are deeper, and the chain rubs on them. 8O

I bought two stainless hex bolts today, and I'll install them tomorrow. I pulled the drain plug tonight, and was greeted with nasty oil. Again. How much goo can be in this little engine? That's three oil changes in two hours of running time. :?

I set the valves and cam chain again, so hopefully it will be quieter.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:15 AM   #191

My goodness! 8O I hope the engine oil clears up soon! :roll:

P.S. I like your tail bag.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-04-2012, 06:59 AM   #192

Bonus points awarded for the new tail bag saying "Safari", that says adventure right there! :wink:

Old 04-04-2012, 11:20 AM   #193

Quote:
Bonus points awarded for the new tail bag saying "Safari", that says adventure right there! :wink:
That's what made me fork over the $1.50.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:45 AM   #194

I think it was a camera bag, and therefore should be strong and likely waterproof. Looks good to me!

Old 04-05-2012, 02:29 AM   #195

Quote:
Weld, I can live with bein brothers 8)
Brother from another Mother. Same Father.