Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2011, 12:05 PM   #166

No wonder you do such good work. Between family and felines you get a lot of help.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:13 PM   #167

My big butt arrived. :roll:

So far today I was able to reinstall the exhaust with a new gasket. Sounds much better.

Install the new rollers in the variator. Scrotchbrited the belt faces. I used graphite dry lube on the rollers. Hope this works well. So far it seems ok. New belt installed too. Buttoned everything up. Took it for a ride. Initially I was alittle concerned. Performance seemed down. Then things seemed to fall into place and I believe the belt settled in. Was able to cruise at about 51-52 and hit 56 on the top end. So alittle more speed.

The engine seems to maybe starving for fuel at full throttle. Sputtering a bit. I swung over and filled it up with 93 octane. The gas in it was from last fall. Hoping its just old gas. Otherwise its time for a carb clean.

Also replace the plug with a new NGK. Old plug looked really good. Nice color. Maybe slightly lean indicating.

Plan to put the plastic back on and install the trunk today. Yes Spud it has a metal bracket. :wink:

Old 03-31-2011, 03:24 PM   #168

From what I understand, Honda tended to be a little lean in the main jet department, to squeeze all the mileage they could out of these things, so don't be afraid to richen it up a little bit.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:33 PM   #169

I may go into the carb later. I took it out again and I believe the new gas made a difference.

The big butt installed.

Buford testing it.

The baja getting used.

Reveen, I snapped this one too.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:47 PM   #170

Great pics!

I don't think that trunk looks too big at all, and its usefulness will outweigh any other concerns.

I'm not surprised it runs better on fresh gas.

Always check trunk for large cats before heading out though... :P

Old 03-31-2011, 07:01 PM   #171

He has been locked in the shed a few times now. If I left the trunk open I am sure I would find him there too.

Fresh gas seems to be the ticket.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:33 AM   #172

It also looks like a 120/90/10 will fit in there!

Being a "minimalist", I'm not too taken with that trunk, but I'm sure it will come in handy.

Does thin mean you are ready to let her rip and take it to work?

Old 04-01-2011, 08:28 PM   #173

I rode off this morning at 40 degrees. It started right up. Cruised the 22 miles to work with no issues. I didn't have any problems keeping up with traffic. I got it to 61 on a couple downhills. It holds low 50s on the flat straights. Good enough for now. Need to just put some miles on.

The trunk is huge, but I really need something to haul items.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:56 PM   #174

Well done Kato! Good for you!

Old 04-02-2011, 03:15 AM   #175

Win!

So, any thoughts of increasing performance? I wouldn't last 20 minutes without messing with it.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-03-2011, 12:00 AM   #176

Holy lack of notifications, Batman! 8O I am still subscribed to this thread, but I didn't get any notifications regarding new posts. Therefore, I see I have missed about a week of action. :(

Congratulations on all your progress, Allen! I think your "big butt" looks great. Wait a second; that didn't sound right! :oops: I meant to say I like you large travel trunk! :roll: I'm glad you got a trunk with the metal mounting plate.

With the large travel trunk attached, you can take Buford grocery shopping with you! 8O Wait a second; perhaps that is not a good idea. :oops: Buford might sample the groceries before you arrived home.

Toby obviously did a superb job supervising the muffler repainting. With the help of Toby, and Buford, I am not surprised your scooter is running so well!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-03-2011, 12:04 AM   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
I rode off this morning at 40 degrees. It started right up. Cruised the 22 miles to work with no issues. I didn't have any problems keeping up with traffic. I got it to 61 on a couple downhills. It holds low 50s on the flat straights. Good enough for now. Need to just put some miles on.

The trunk is huge, but I really need something to haul items.
The Michelin tire looks great, Allen. I'm very glad your scooter is running so well. You will enjoy the extra storage offered by the large travel trunk. Whether you are running errands, or grocery shopping, I'm sure you will frequently fill up the large trunk to its capacity.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-03-2011, 01:28 AM   #178

Good to hear you got it all tuned up. How about a picture with the plastics back on and the trunk? Love to see what it looks like all back together

Cheers,
Stew

Old 04-03-2011, 08:35 AM   #179

I fixed the clock yesterday with a new battery. Filled it up this morning.

121.9 miles on 1.79 gals. 67.99mpg. I think that is right in the normal range.

So far performance is adequate. I think I will leave it alone for awhile. Need to recoup back some of the upfront cost in gas saving. Saved $14.60 so far over the ranger.

The trunk is great. One of the best mods.

I need to go ahead and order a new throttle cable. Reveen is right. Lubing doesn't last. Maybe scrappy dog has one.

Will get some pics of is buttoned back up today.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:43 AM   #180

You used to be able to buy a, for want of a better term, power luber.

This is going back to my English bike days: you clamped the thing on the exposed inner cable (at one end), and it had a grease nipple on the housing, that you pumped light grease into the cable. I have even seen cables (English) that had grease fittings on them.

I recently inquired about such a thing at my local "old time" dealer, and got looked at like I had 3 heads, but I remember using one in the early 70's when I was working at an "English bike" dealer.

I have found once the inner get's some rust on it you are just about forced to buy a new cable...... maybe Wurth has a product that will "stay"?

http://www.wurthusa.com/project/en/l.../chemical.html

http://www.wurthcanada.com/en/catalogue.html