Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2009, 01:13 PM   #166

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind

I gather that there was a subtle hint in there...

I have a CV carb that has an electric choke, but it is sized for a 150. I'm going to install the bigger Mikuni and experiment with that instead.
I watched you buy it........... it should be 27mm? Certainly not far off the 30mm Mukini? (if I had a spigot mount handy I would give it a try)

Old 10-28-2009, 02:31 PM   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
All this talk of leaking shocks makes me a little nervous to pull the trigger on them. GIO has been selling these for quite some time and this is the first this issue has shown up in the forums.

I just received a second chance offer on one of my bids, but now I'm wondering if I should hold off and perhaps go with W&G's suggestion of stockers + heat to soften.
The picture has changed, I.E. they used have red springs and now they have black springs. This could mean nothing but it could mean a different batch has been shipped in from a different supplier or maybe just a new run on the line.

I am not prepared yet to spout off on these shocks. I hope to have time before the weekend to finish up.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:08 PM   #168

pivot shim

W&G..not sure if I am posting this pic right.....bet here it is

Old 10-28-2009, 05:20 PM   #169

Seeing as that pic worked ok I will show off my super little cart for working on my machine. Casters and all. The red is a little prissy and i plan to do somthing about it. Was thinking a little highlight along the body panels in Krylon black. I have to do something.
Thx waynev, i got the plugs right off the rack at ct.

I know when I learned to sail we were told only wankers leave the dock bumpers over the side when on the water. Is it the same with the cheesy side reflectors on the beast? I have now removed mine and continue to wonder what were they thinking putting them there in the first palce.

waynec

Old 10-28-2009, 05:25 PM   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynec
Seeing as that pic worked ok I will show off my super little cart for working on my machine. Casters and all. The red is a little prissy and i plan to do somthing about it. Was thinking a little highlight along the body panels in Krylon black. I have to do something.

I know when I learned to sail we were told only wankers leave the dock bumpers over the side when on the water. Is it the same with the cheesy side reflectors on the beast? I have now removed mine and continue to wonder what were they thinking putting them there in the first palce.

waynec
I think the red looks good! I just find it doesn't photograph well, the flash brightens it and makes it look almost pinkish.

I think the reflectors HAVE to be some sort of mandatory safety thing for ATV's. They all seem to have them.. mine were ripped off somewhere before I got it.

My daughters little quads are losing them too, they either rattle loose or get sheared off on crashes.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:42 PM   #171

Quote:

waynec
Color looks cool, but I agree red can be tough to photograph well.

I see a wheel nut missing (I think) drivers side front. And where are those spiffy (if prissy can be used, I can use spiffy right?) dust caps for the hubs?

Neat idea on the roller stand. Probably has a drawer too for Beast specific tools, parts, scotch, etc.

EDIT: I was fooling with you...it is so clean that must be inital assy.
Pete

Old 10-28-2009, 06:49 PM   #172

Scotch most definetely!

Old 10-28-2009, 07:41 PM   #173

The nut was in my pocket today.....got ss nylocks at our great fastening shop for the fronts...52c each. I think I will just locktite the back bolts.
As recently as 2 weeks ago I was going to curb the stand with a free sign on it. Glad i didn.t
What is the consensus on the carb adjustemt. Move the clip one spot from top or 2 as a starting point.
Odd thing today.........I bid on a rear performance shock for the beast right from hour one.....not one other bid for the next 20 hours and the bid closed on my initial offer. I though that would have been a hot item as they have been b/o'd for awhile.
Last thing I expected
waynec

Old 10-28-2009, 07:54 PM   #174

Yeah, waynec i also have one of those rear shocks coming too, i hope they hold pressure. Well i over oiled the uni, there was a big puddle where i left it last night, the beast runs much better today but i still had to lean it out 2 notches on the needle jet to get it to run good, so i'm sure i'm losing some power as it runs much better with no air filter and 2 notches down, oh well it goes good enough for me and the engine will last much longer with a filter, haha.
Got my spare clutch today, not very happy with this one, the first one was brand new ( as it's advertised ) and in a plastic bag, the one that came today is wrapped in cling wrap type stuff and is covered in oil, so there no way it's brand new, unless it came out of a brand new engine that had oil in it.

Nice roller stand, where does it plug in?, sure looks like a mini fridge on wheels, now that would be cool, wrenching and pints within reach.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:57 PM   #175

Quote:
The nut was in my pocket today.....got ss nylocks at our great fastening shop for the fronts...52c each. I think I will just locktite the back bolts.
As recently as 2 weeks ago I was going to curb the stand with a free sign on it. Glad i didn.t
What is the consensus on the carb adjustemt. Move the clip one spot from top or 2 as a starting point.
Odd thing today.........I bid on a rear performance shock for the beast right from hour one.....not one other bid for the next 20 hours and the bid closed on my initial offer. I though that would have been a hot item as they have been b/o'd for awhile.
Last thing I expected
waynec
Carb is a tough one, depending on the air filter. Mine was running rich of course, but some tweaking on the carb and the extra 8 holes in the air box made a huge difference. Big time.
If i were to do it over again (hello Sat) probably take it up one notch.

love those Nyloc things.

PUT 2 ON YOUR EXHAUST STUDS...trust me....take the studs out and loctite em while youre at it...mine came out with 2 fingers.

Rear shocks are going for 40 bucks and change lately I think, maybe we all recognized the name and left it alone

Old 10-28-2009, 08:25 PM   #176

Not sure nylocks will hold up on the exhaust studs, i think the temperature will be too high and melt the nylon insert.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:04 PM   #177

Thx for the heads up on the exhaust studs. I would think taking the studs to a vise and putting subtle flats on the threads would be an idea. Thread lock is heat sensitive also, isn't it?
The stand is an 1980' vintage dot matrix printer stand. A classic....just no booze, sorry.
Thanks for letting me have the rear shock.. u guys are ok.....Just got beaten up on a 'badboy' case though. She can have it for $40 +.

waynec

Old 10-28-2009, 09:16 PM   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynev
Not sure nylocks will hold up on the exhaust studs, i think the temperature will be too high and melt the nylon insert.
Mine are survivning just fine. Nylon is pretty tough stuff. We have the usual white, then black, then we have some red ones. I just used the plain white.

Once they come off they are garbage anyway according to our fastener guy, and my experience in the areospace field. Not supposed to reuse them, but for our applications, I wouldnt worry too much about it. I mean, we could safety wire everything, or use Spiraloks, but I think the Nylon or even lockwashers is a step up from the way it was shipped.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:25 PM   #179

Yeah, i usually just do a check on them since when i removed the stock exhaust to put on the performance one i too noticed the stock bolts would come out almost by hand, now i just do a wrench check on suspicious bolts.

Today my gas tank was ratteling badly, darn, two bolts i missed on my inspection, both were very loose, more loctite please.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:38 PM   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynev
Yeah, i usually just do a check on them since when i removed the stock exhaust to put on the performance one i too noticed the stock bolts would come out almost by hand, now i just do a wrench check on suspicious bolts.

Today my gas tank was ratteling badly, darn, two bolts i missed on my inspection, both were very loose, more loctite please.
Same thing with me today. Had a spare few moments and put the NGK wire on...1 of the 2 coil bolts was finger tight and that was my fault. I more or less disassembled the bike and ran Metric taps thru everything. Guess I forgot the Loctite on the coil.