Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2014, 03:31 PM   #166

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
It could be the brand of knobby tire TMEC uses. Or, from what I remember when I lived in L.A., the first rain after months of no rain in the summer, the roads got fairly slippery due to all the residual oil that had built up for months being lifted up by the water; wherever mmpristine lives, could be the same phenomenon.
I'm pretty sure he said he lives in wisconsin, and we get a lot of rain. he didn't mention riding in the rain, just wet pavement. and yeah I'm sure the knobs would help during a heavy rain. do you guys drive in the rain much? i might get caught with quick changing weather here in wisconsin, but wouldn't plan on doing it.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:23 PM   #167

If I am riding in heavy rain, I prefer knobby tires. If I am going to ride off road at all, I prefer knobby tires. Knobby tires perform very well on pavement for any air cooled, carbureted, single-cylinder motorcycle with an engine displacement of 250cc or less.

If one knows how to brake and corner properly, knobby tires do an excellent job on pavement for small, dual sport motorcycles. If one doesn't know how to brake and corner properly, he should quickly sign up for the MSF rider course. If one is riding a high performance street bike at high speeds, he needs sticky street tires. However, if one rides defensively and skillfully on a small, dual sport motorcycle, he can choose the most aggressive knobby tires he can find, and they will do a good job for him.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-25-2014, 05:30 PM   #168

I have knobby tires mounted on my Honda XR650L, which can easily exceed speeds of 100 mph at sea level. Even at mile-high elevations, the XR650L will still quickly reach 90 mph.

If one doesn't know proper braking and cornering skills, he will probably be safer with a less aggressive tire tread. However, if one lacks riding skills, he needs to take a rider safety course as quickly as possible. Riding defensively, and practicing proper riding techniques is far more important than tire selection, especially when one is riding a small, dual sport motorcycle.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-25-2014, 09:22 PM   #169

It rarely rains here in the desert, but when it does, it can get brutal quickly! Or not. Last year, I had been having issues with a rear sprocket eating chains (it was a custom 44 tooth I had Rebel Gears make me). Last November, our work was having a combined Christmas/retirement gig for one of our fellow teachers. The prison is about 20 miles to the restaurant we were going to have the party at. We had to show up to work in the morning, for a meeting (so it did not look like we were only having fun) and about 10:30, we were to set out to meet at the restaurant. A few miles outside of work, it started to pour. I was able to ride for about 5 miles with no feeling of insecurity at about the posted limit (45mph), until the chain broke stranding me. Fortunately, one of my coworkers took that route (there are several) and picked me up.

The next rain I encountered as far as being on my bike was last Thursday, where I have a better sprocket IMO (at least as far as having no issues with the stock, slightly modified chain--modified by having links removed), and I rode the last few miles home from work in a drenching downpour.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 08-26-2014, 12:05 AM   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by footer View Post
Do you guys drive in the rain much? i might get caught with quick changing weather here in wisconsin, but wouldn't plan on doing it.
I'm with you. I don't plan on riding in the rain, but it can happen anytime in the coastal Pacific NW region.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-26-2014, 12:50 AM   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by footer View Post
I'm pretty sure he said he lives in wisconsin, and we get a lot of rain. he didn't mention riding in the rain, just wet pavement. and yeah I'm sure the knobs would help during a heavy rain. do you guys drive in the rain much? i might get caught with quick changing weather here in wisconsin, but wouldn't plan on doing it.
I started riding motorcycles in 1979, in Pennsylvania. As in Wisconsin, the rain falls in torrents during the summer thunderstorms of Pennsylvania. If you wait until the there is little chance of rain, you won't ride much in Pennsylvania, or most places back east. My former riding area in Pennsylvania receives 42 inches of precipitation every year.

Then, as now, I liked to ride often. Therefore, I went riding and took my rain gear with me. I was frequently caught in thunderstorms while it was raining torrents. I have hydroplaned over water on my motorcycle more than once; it is not a pleasant experience.

I now live in an arid climate, which has 12 inches of precipitation every year. I currently avoid riding in the rain whenever possible; I don't enjoy it. Since we have so many nice days to ride, I don't feel the need to go riding when rain is probable.

However, if I were riding in heavy rain, I would certainly rather be riding on tires with an aggressive tread. Hydroplaning on a motorcycle is a frightening experience.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 08-26-2014, 01:07 AM   #172

We average 62" of precip each year, but thankfully, most of that is in the winter. My city is the fourth wettest in Canada, whereas Vancouver is #16! That said, it is not uncommon to have almost the entire month of July without rain in Abbotsford.

When it's raining sideways here, I'm taking the car.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-26-2014, 01:38 AM   #173

I really can't see a down side for mounting knobby tires on a motorcycle with an engine displacement of 250cc, or less. I certainly wouldn't advocate mounting knobby tires on a powerful sport bike; however, these small, single-cylinder bikes just don't generate enough power to make knobby tires dangerous, provided someone rides defensively, and practices proper cornering and braking techniques.

For example, I would rather enter a curve with loose gravel riding on knobby tires than slick tires. If you do slip, the knobby tires will hook up in loose gravel much faster than slick tires. However, I know better than to brake, shift gears, or quickly accelerate in curves. All braking and downshifting should occur before you enter the curve. You should always maintain a steady, or slightly increasing throttle in curves. You should keeping looking for the exit of the curve, and only accelerate as you exit the curve in a more upright position.

Everyone who rides on pavement should take a rider safety course, and learn proper cornering, braking, and evasive maneuvers. After the class is over, one should practice these proper techniques at all times, until they become second nature. One must always ride defensively, anticipating problems before they happen, and taking actions to avoid them. Defensive riding and practicing proper riding techniques are far more important than tire selection, especially when one is riding a single-cylinder motorcycle with an engine displacement of 250cc, or less.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 08-28-2014, 03:56 PM   #174

Yup good ole Wisconsin boy. What was said is that I did not like the very aggressive knobby tire that came on the TMEC in the rain. Around here we have a lot of black top or Asphalt and it is very unpredictable in wet conditions. My preference is to just to play is safe and get better tires for the more road riding that I do. Some people turn, I corner. It only takes one low side to convince a person of this, that I know for fact. I can only say to get what fits your riding style best.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:09 PM   #175

I feel that the street tires suit me well in the rare cases of rain we get in Yuma.

I now have 3700 kms on the bike--about 2200 miles since May and counting (just thought I would throw that out there).

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 10-18-2014, 05:07 PM   #176

So I finally got around to ordering the off-road wheels for my TMEC. Got a question....Do I need a bigger chain if I change the tires? I ask because I am in the middle of doing the rear wheel and it does not look like it's gonna fit due to the chain. Thanks!

Old 10-18-2014, 08:53 PM   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonCat View Post
So I finally got around to ordering the off-road wheels for my TMEC. Got a question....Do I need a bigger chain if I change the tires? I ask because I am in the middle of doing the rear wheel and it does not look like it's gonna fit due to the chain. Thanks!
If you haven't changed the sprockets, you don't need to change the length of the drive chain.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-18-2014, 09:05 PM   #178

Nope...both are 56 tooth sprockets but there is no way that this tire fits. It's rubbing on the back of the swing arm and even if I pull it back all the way there is slight contact and NO slack in the chain...which is bad. Not sure how this works as it's stock equipment from Wade at Excalibur off of a TMEC he had in stock. I sent an email to them asking but have not received a reply yet.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:26 PM   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonCat View Post
Nope...both are 56 tooth sprockets but there is no way that this tire fits. It's rubbing on the back of the swing arm and even if I pull it back all the way there is slight contact and NO slack in the chain...which is bad. Not sure how this works as it's stock equipment from Wade at Excalibur off of a TMEC he had in stock. I sent an email to them asking but have not received a reply yet.
Okay. If you don't install the chain, can you slide the rear axle back far enough to give clearance between the tire and the swingarm? If so, you will need to increase the chain at least two links in length. It is probably safer to purchase a chain four links longer; it is sure to fit, and you can always break off two links if it is too long.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-18-2014, 09:56 PM   #180

Yes....but there is very limited play due to the length of the break line. There is just enough to leave about maybe an inch and a half without the chain.