Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2015, 08:50 AM   #1681

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolftrax View Post
Did I read somewhere that it only weighs 2.2 lbs. Does that sound about right?
The FMF website lists the Universal Spark Arrestor with a weight of 2.9 pounds, and I'm sure that includes the midpipe and all mounting hardware.

http://www.fmfracing.com/Products/MX/651

This silencer is a straight-through exhaust, without any baffles whatsoever. It is constructed very solidly, and it is very easy to mount. It is also very easy to repack, and after you repack it with 4-stroke packing material, it lasts a very long time before you need to repack it again.

This silencer breathes very well, and makes good power. The TurbineCore spark arrestor is maintenance free, and the silencer meets U.S.F.S. standards for sound suppression. With a price slightly over $100, delivered, it is an excellent value.

I'm sure this FMF silencer can be mounted easily by using a small section of the stock muffler's midpipe. However, it will be nicer if the system mounts solely with the supplied, stainless steel midpipe. This is the mounting method I used with my Zongshen Sierra (ZS200GY-2).

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-03-2015, 10:40 AM   #1682

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
I'm proud of my Zongsen Sierra (ZS200GY-2), and I always correct people when they mistake it for a KTM. I could easily rebadge the Zong as a KTM, but I proudly keep the Zongshen markings on the right crankcase cover, and the saddle.

One could put BMW stickers on the Zongshen RX3, and it would easily pass for a Beemer. However, I am happy to ride Zongshen motorcycles, and I will continue to correct anyone who mistakes my RX3 for a BMW, or any other make of motorcycle.
I was at the BMW shop with my F800GT for service, and I told one of the guys about the RX-3. They are very interested in seeing it.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:04 PM   #1683
Banned

ANyone tried the "powerbomb header with the bulge in the middle?

Gains are good (over 1 hp dynoed on the 250 Wrr Yamaha).
As the bore stroke on ours and the Wrr match, should be similar gains I'd expect. Anyone know anyone doing helmholtz apps on thumpers?
Should be easier I'd think. Less complication than multicyl bikes.

It quiets an open pipe, a good thing all around. Ferrari cars use them I found out F1 and street, apparently. The Z and G pipes make them have the bark similar to Ferrari, forum users say, and great power increases. I may try to build one with a sliding second piece to adjust to see if I can find a sweet spot for size/length, weld, and make some for friends, if interest and they dyno out good. That FMF muffler soounds GREAT too spud, weight and cost. ANy dyno's for whp gains anywhere to link? If our muffler is typical 10+lbs for Jap bikes, maybe even heavier since China bike, that could start to help weight loss wise.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:20 PM   #1684

Quote:
Originally Posted by thillskier View Post
Gains are good (over 1 hp dynoed on the 250 Wrr Yamaha).
As the bore stroke on ours and the Wrr match, should be similar gains I'd expect. Anyone know anyone doing helmholtz apps on thumpers?
Should be easier I'd think. Less complication than multicyl bikes.

It quiets an open pipe, a good thing all around. Ferrari cars use them I found out F1 and street, apparently. The Z and G pipes make them have the bark similar to Ferrari, forum users say, and great power increases. I may try to build one with a sliding second piece to adjust to see if I can find a sweet spot for size/length, weld, and make some for friends, if interest and they dyno out good. That FMF muffler soounds GREAT too spud, weight and cost. ANy dyno's for whp gains anywhere to link? If our muffler is typical 10+lbs for Jap bikes, maybe even heavier since China bike, that could start to help weight loss wise.
I have the powerbomb on my CRF and to be honest with you I couldn't tell any seat of the pants difference between the stocker and the powerbomb. The Powerkore muffler alone did show some improvement but things really livened up when I hooked in the EJK, intalled a unifilter and removed the snorkel, the difference is quite remarkable.
If I had to do it all over again I would probably save a few bucks and not instal the "powerbomb" header

2015 Haosen Hawk 250
2014 CRF250L
2014 CB500X Rally Raid

Old 02-03-2015, 02:29 PM   #1685

Looks like this one would work as well

http://www.fmfracing.com/Products/MX/614
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dk433976.jpg (51.1 KB, 350 views)

2015 Haosen Hawk 250
2014 CRF250L
2014 CB500X Rally Raid

Old 02-03-2015, 02:57 PM   #1686

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolftrax View Post
Looks like this one would work as well.
Yes, that silencer should fit. However, it costs $100 more, weighs 1.8 pounds more, and doesn't include the stainless steel midpipe.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-03-2015, 03:06 PM   #1687

Quote:
Originally Posted by G19Tony View Post
I was at the BMW shop with my F800GT for service, and I told one of the guys about the RX-3. They are very interested in seeing it.
Please do report their reactions after they see the RX3, Tony.

It might be fun to put a pair of BMW stickers on the RX3, even for a short while. I'm sure they would be great conversation starters.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 02-03-2015, 04:09 PM   #1688

piston spray hole?

What does the "piston spray hole" do that is mentioned on the first page in the add in post #3 ? thanks, rj

Old 02-03-2015, 04:26 PM   #1689

Well it arrived
and I am loving this bike

Its just as well I wear a full face helmet so I could hide the ridiculous grin on my face when I went for my first ride

I haven't had much time to get out on it yet but here is a quick pic . I will try and do some more interesting ones in the future

A few points so far

(As you may remember I have upgraded from a 125cc , also my RX3 is standard model without the upgrades you guys are getting.)

Pros
-----
the ride is great, no nasty surprises, solid on the road without feeling heavy even when stationary the extra 50kg really isn't that noticeable.

Nice riding position

The wind screen works well keeping the wind off but i'm sure taller riders will benefit from the bigger screen.

Keeping up with traffic is a breeze, it quickly makes progress when needed

Cons ( im being picky here )
--------------------------------------

The speedo does seem to read high ( I will get my gps on it soon and compare )

The front brake lever pulls in quite tight to the handle bar throttle grip .Though not a problem for me, some riders with big hands or a different grasp of break lever and throttle might get their fingers caught.

Notes
---------

Getting in to neutral at stops e.g. traffic lights -

No different from a lot of other bikes , a quick blip of the throttle, let the clutch out a bit and it slips in to neutral nicely.

Steering lock -

turn off ignition , push key down , let it come back up then turn to the left.

this had me foxed for a while because on my Suzuki you have to push the key down and turn to the left while keeping it pushed down !

Old 02-03-2015, 04:35 PM   #1690

Thanks for posting the photo and initial impressions of your Honley 250. We eagerly await further updates as you ride more miles on your new motorcycle.

The operation of the ignition lock for the RX3 is the same as with the Yamaha TW200, and my Zongshen ZS200GY-2. I suspect many, if not all, Yamaha ignition locks operate the same way.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 02-03-2015, 04:39 PM   #1691

I think the orange bike photographs very well under all light conditions. The RX3 really is a good looking motorcycle. When you have time, please do post more photographs of your bike in its native habitat.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 02-03-2015, 04:55 PM   #1692

I just completed another telephone conversation with Alison at Dobeck Performance. She informed me that Matt, the head technician at Dobeck, has received my inquiry regarding the development of an EJK controller for the Zongshen RX3. Matt is currently involved in several other projects, but I was assured he will contact me later this week, or early next week regarding the company's possible interest in this project.

Although the domestic market for this controller is currently small, both the domestic and international market for such a device will certainly grow. I hope Dobeck is willing to take on the project.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 02-03-2015, 04:56 PM   #1693

Just me being a twat with ignition lock then

Im trying not to write what's been said a thousand times already but the build is good and solid and the finish is great too in the flesh .

will definitely report back when I have done a few more miles and the tyres, brakes and engine have all bedded in a bit.

Old 02-03-2015, 05:04 PM   #1694

Quote:
Originally Posted by katflap View Post
Just me being a twat with ignition lock then

Im trying not to write what's been said a thousand times already but the build is good and solid and the finish is great too in the flesh .

will definitely report back when I have done a few more miles and the tyres, brakes and engine have all bedded in a bit.
You will quickly get accustomed to the operation of the ignition lock. The ignition lock on my Honda XR650L operates in the same manner as your Suzuki ignition lock. However, I prefer the operation of the Yamaha ignition lock of my Zongshen Sierra over the Honda/Suzuki system.

Don't worry about repeating information; we are eager to hear everything you have to say about your new motorcycle. Please don't hesitate to post your impressions, and lots of photographs.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 02-03-2015, 05:15 PM   #1695
Banned

Nice bike Kat!

I'm jealous!