Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2016, 01:40 PM   #151

Has anyone converted to a cable choke? I think I'm going to attempt it. any experiences may be helpful.

Old 10-23-2016, 02:26 PM   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmcgee View Post
Has anyone converted to a cable choke? I think I'm going to attempt it. any experiences may be helpful.
How long a time do you have to keep the choke on? Bike should be ready to go with no choke, if you start it on choke, then pull on your gloves and put your helmet on. Then push the choke off, and ride.

Old 10-23-2016, 02:47 PM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
How long a time do you have to keep the choke on? Bike should be ready to go with no choke, if you start it on choke, then pull on your gloves and put your helmet on. Then push the choke off, and ride.
On the magician it is a little more difficult to get to the choke, It is tucked up in there and on the wrong side of the carb for ease of access, that's why I need a cable. I wish it was as easy as the hawk looks.

Old 10-23-2016, 07:56 PM   #154

Quote:
On the magician it is a little more difficult to get to the choke, It is tucked up in there and on the wrong side of the carb for ease of access, that's why I need a cable. I wish it was as easy as the hawk looks.
Just find something off the shelf somewhere at hd or ace hardware and rig it up

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/jac...z6dhoc5hfw_wcb

You get the idea $6 at agri supply

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 10-24-2016, 05:48 PM   #155

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
Just find something off the shelf somewhere at hd or ace hardware and rig it up

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/jac...z6dhoc5hfw_wcb

You get the idea $6 at agri supply

Of course, I know I need a cable with a barrel end, a cable clamp, and a couple brackets, I can look and find or make what I need. just thinking if someone else already did it, it would save time and $ following their steps. My Dad always said a true genius does not just learn from his mistakes, he learns from everyone else's.

Old 10-24-2016, 07:04 PM   #156

ILL post a thread about this too but I need an answer. I've got mine torn apart right now (you can read my hawk thread for the reason and all of that) and I need the little gasket that sits inside the centrifugal oil filter cap. I can't find any in eBay, RPS hasn't gotten back to me, and the local dealer that said they HD it, gave me one that was the right shape but was way too big for the cap.so there's two sizes apparently. Is there another engine (one with readily available pars) that would use the same gaskets? Same centrifugal oil filter different engines, etc... Please help, I'm ready to get this thing back on the trails.

Old 10-24-2016, 07:30 PM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95C1500 View Post
ILL post a thread about this too but I need an answer. I've got mine torn apart right now (you can read my hawk thread for the reason and all of that) and I need the little gasket that sits inside the centrifugal oil filter cap. I can't find any in eBay, RPS hasn't gotten back to me, and the local dealer that said they HD it, gave me one that was the right shape but was way too big for the cap.so there's two sizes apparently. Is there another engine (one with readily available pars) that would use the same gaskets? Same centrifugal oil filter different engines, etc... Please help, I'm ready to get this thing back on the trails.
The only help I can give you is to repeat what a sales rep told me over the 'phone at APSC. "We carry a Lot of Hawk parts, and what we don't have, we can order in from China". If you want to call them, their phone # is 731-632-3222

Old 10-24-2016, 10:12 PM   #158

Quote:
My first thought is gasket paper at the auto parts store. I'm not sure what the gasket looks like but http://www.autozone.com/sealants-glu...asket-material they proly got the material

Old 10-25-2016, 01:09 AM   #159

Thumbs Up

Jmcg..spoken like a true Chinese engineer
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 10-25-2016, 11:15 AM   #160

Quote:
Of course, I know I need a cable with a barrel end, a cable clamp, and a couple brackets, I can look and find or make what I need. just thinking if someone else already did it, it would save time and $ following their steps. My Dad always said a true genius does not just learn from his mistakes, he learns from everyone else's.
I can tell you from my quads that the detent must be removed from the choke lever (which is very simple). The choke lever has a barrel slot and hole in it to accept a barrel-end cable. The choke door has a small spring built in that will help the choke fully open, as you slide the lever towards the open position. I think you'd be better off to find a purpose-built choke lever and cable from a quad or dirt bike, rather than a generic item.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-25-2016, 11:16 AM   #161

Quote:
To expand your search criteria, I believe that part to be the same as an XR200.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-29-2016, 05:46 PM   #162

ignition

So, I have been thinking about cdi controlled ignition timing. The only information I have found on the Hawk's cdi says that it has retarded ignition until about 1200 rpm. Then it jumps to maximum advance. I cannot find any information on whether the ignition fires every time the piston reaches the TDC area, or every other time. If it fires on every stroke, that presents a problem. Why? Because if it is, it is firing the mixture that rushed in to the engine when the exhaust pulse created a momentary depression in the cylinder during the valve opening overlap period. And, if it is firing at that time, there will be a pressure wave going not just out the exhaust pipe, but the intake as well. This will disturb cylinder filling, obviously. If we find that it is not firing at tdc of every revolution of the engine, then we only have to concern ourselves with the spark advance. Does anyone out there know the answers to these two questions?

Old 10-29-2016, 07:03 PM   #163

It fires every revolution. What was the other question?

Old 10-29-2016, 07:06 PM   #164

If the pick up is on the flywheel it fires every time the piston is at TDC
if the pick up is on the cam it fires every second time...
most bikes infact just about all these days fire a spark every stroke
there is no issue at all with it...
both my Yamaha's & the Honda run a waist spark system...

4 cyclider motors only have 2 coils with 2 leads of each coil..
one coil to 1 & 4 cyclinders.. the other to 2 & 3 cyclinders
so one plug is fireing on the exhaust stroke..
never been a issue in the 50 odd years or more they have been doing it..

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 10-29-2016, 07:16 PM   #165

On most of these CG clone engines the spark advance at idle is 15 degrees and tops out at 35 degrees at 3500 RPM.